Dan Diego

Dan and Dan are off to the Great White North

Inuvik. It's pronounced I-New-Vick. I think...

As mentioned over the past year, we am heading into the Great White North this weekend. It's true that Alaska continues to call to me like a mentally unstable lover...

Fellow SDAR member Dan and I will be departing Sunday, June 29, for the town of Inuvik, in Canada’s Northwest Territories. I’ll also try to squeeze in a visit to Alaska’s Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay (just an extra 2,500 miles). We aren’t retired, we aren’t riding for a cause, we aren’t attempting to commit any acts of badassery...we just want to ride to the northernmost possible point, meet some nice people, drink some interesting beverages and return with some cool stories -- virtually unscarred .

We have every intention of riding our big motorbikes from San Diego all the way north and crossing back into the US near Blaine, WA, in late July. I will be riding a KTM 990 Adventure; Dan will be on his BMW R1200GS. We plan to camp most of the time and stay in hotels when we can’t stand our own musk. We’ve mutually agreed not to be eaten by Grizzlies if at all possible. The bear spray we bought at REI has a “no maul” money-back guarantee, so that’s good.

We have a very flexible agenda. There are many things we’d like to see in 30+ days, but we’re playing it by ear. It’s 3,800 miles each way, with lots of side roads in between, and we expect to ride over 10K miles. Neither of us has a particularly remarkable attention span so the possibilities are endless. Dan’s bringing along a fairly nice SLR camera, and we both have small video cameras, so we'll do our best to document the experience.

Here are two GPS map trackers so friends and family can follow our progress:

Where Am I Riding Map (Works in Chrome, Safari, FireFox, and IE9): http://www.whereamiriding.com/my-profile/userprofile/DanDiego

SPOT Adventures Map: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0GOrQRdjM0Y1M7p9gWdJJU8oP3zJ5ubA1

I will try to provide updates here and on ADV Rider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988579) as we travel along, but I'm unsure how that'll go...

Share in the adventure as we go a couple of degrees north of the Arctic Circle in search of...well, we haven't really identified a purpose yet. It's likely just a midlife crisis. Wish us well!

Your humble sojourner.

Danny

Well, that sounds like a remarkable trip. I wish you both an awesome adventure!!

If the stories are half as good as the warmup ride a couple weeks ago it will be epic!

There are no tweekers or vaginas between here and your destination.....you should be fine. :lmaosmiley:

Safe travels and have a great time.

Subscribed to your ADVrider thread already. Have a fantastic trip!

Best of Luck you both. View every set-back as an opportunity.

Did I really write that?? Here is another. Keep you eye on the horizon.

:smile_anim:

Have a great, and safe time. Just remember from your practice run that Danrider can apparently sleep through anything. So that leaves it to you to stay up all night and watch for bears.

Will be reading updates so post up!

Good luck you guys .Keep us posted and we will be watching you.

This is going to be one great trip, no reservations, no preconceptions, and the both of us are ADHD. I think we should go that way, no I think we should go this way, lets stop and think about it over a beverage, OK.

Please do wish us well, this is a trip of a lifetime for Dan and I.

Good luck... I can't wait to read the stories...

Have fun Dan! Looking forward to "reading" along.

Have a great adventure to and from the great north (really north) west! :smile_anim:

Need dog pics, asian squats, and funny captions...you have much to live up to.

Check, check and double check, Mikey. Expect Asian squats and more. Oh, so much more...

The rider from Canada that I hosted for a few days lives on the northern part of Vancouver Island. He might be able to show you around his area if your planning on going there. Let me know if you want his contact info. Leif is a nice kid in the Canadian military and likes to ride.

CiD

Canadian military? I thought that was called the "US Marine Corps?"

Truly, though, we won't be in that area long at all; just passing through on our way back into the USA.

Thanks.

This is really cool!!!….Chris Hardin at IMS gave me and DanDiego each a set of the IMS ADV Pegs to use on our trip, they are the bomb. I will post a pic once I install them today.

Turn your trackers on .I want to spy on you !!

Anyone that would like to follow me on twitter feel free, I will send a pic everyday, you can follow me at @danpuprider

Time for bed have a big day tomorrow.