Looking to get out for a ride this coming weekend. Anyone know what's still open? 

I heard that Ocotillo Wells was closed even to OHV traffic. Is that the case anywhere else? 

Thinking Superstition or McCain, and interested to hear if anyone knows the status out there. Looking to ride in a sticker area, without a plate requirement.

Thanks!

Digging deeper I can see that Lark is closed. So how's Superstition looking these days?

Everything is closed, except maybe Superstition.  Pine Valley, Corral Canyon, Lark Canyon, all closed.  Even Ocotillo Wells and many routes in Anza Borrego are closed.

Is “Superstition” basically the riding north of the town of Ocotillo?

1 hour ago, Bluhdow said:

Is “Superstition” basically the riding north of the town of Ocotillo?

From west to east- Ocotillo, Painted Gorge, Plaster City West, Plaster City East, Superstition.   Follow Evan Hewes Highway , they are all along there.

Superstition is open.  No plate required.  Just about everything north of I-8 between Ocotillo and Dunaway Rd is open OHV.

I will not comment on the obvious  BLM temp closed area signs posted from where the McCain valley dirt road starts and posted at all the group area/campground spots as well as other places. But I will say folks have been parked along  McCain valley Road and its turn offs, without incident so far. 

Yesterday despite the obvious signs there were at least 10 yes 10 trucks with bikes and quads parked at the open big tree area, I don't know if they were eventually cited or not. This number was actually more than I have seen in years parked there. I assume many were Dez regulars that came out to avoid the closed dez.

I rode a rare solo play loop and never saw anyone out on the trails, but I know a few guys that were out there.

So here with SDAR I will report that, but I would not put that out on open FB for example. Rob

PS-

Also saw a few ADV guys on bigs riding down McCain Valley road, and of course (sorry quads I do throw you under the bus alot) very loud open pipe quads drag racing up and down McCain valley rd. Don't get me wrong I am into full freedom just not dumb freedom or freedom that makes me look bad.

Also to quads.. learn the F how to use throttle control...........y'all sound like barking dags, brap brap brap braaaap brap brap brappppp brap brap brap.....annoying as shite.

Sorry all that was my rant...get out and ride- carefully and socially distant.

• Like 2

MMmmm,, Honesty sometimes hurts.   My attempt of understanding human behavior is to visualize the contents of my typical High School class.  Just look around, we are still here .

I took a 280 mile trip on the big bike Sunday.  
Pine Valley and Corral closed. 
Saw the quad crew at Lark. 
Lots of folks camping and riding Ocotillo, Plaster City and Glamis
Ocotillo Wells closed. 
Lots of people riding and camping across the street on the south side. 
Big party going on at the Campground just west of the State Park. 

Solo ride with proper social distancing while wearing all the proper gear. 

A8D9397B-E520-47B7-AAEC-B7740F088A27.jpeg

3558732A-E3EC-43C4-9467-057597309386.jpeg

DD0D88A3-BF9C-4F6C-81C9-4FCBED01F015.jpeg

3E884959-F795-40BC-8CF3-1E40B9C8573F.jpeg

9B3CB4B0-314A-45B3-B436-451C34BF3763.jpeg

7BC3FBAD-95FC-40A1-9974-3A86F999BB2C.jpeg

AD7C86A6-40EB-4DE5-950E-7483097B2756.jpeg

0468C569-5D23-47B7-B79E-3F07A5D6CF92.jpeg

AF279BA5-0398-4A73-A6EA-FC271661CCC4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

Kenny you look mean.

I was hoping to ride with him one day but now I'm afraid of him!

4 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Kenny you look mean.

No. Just getting older. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I rode yesterday with my kids. Parked on the south side of 78 in Ocotillo Wells and rode to Carrizo Gorge, Plaster City, Superstition, and beyond. Did 100 miles and had a blast. Yes, Ocotillo Wells OHV is closed, but in case you don't know, the actual OHV park is only north of the 78....everything on the south side of the highway is open.

• Like 1

According to BLM website pretty much any developed campground OHV or not is shut down. Based on what I have been able to gather anything that doesn't have a bathroom is probably open. 

Super/places in ridgecrest(if you want to drive) still have lots of people posting pics and vids so it seems like they are very open. 

Good luck!

8 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I was hoping to ride with him one day but now I'm afraid of him!

Haha!  Eat those Wheaties if you do.  Old, mean dude has a quick pace. 

9 hours ago, Dhillr said:

Haha!  Eat those Wheaties if you do.  Old, mean dude has a quick pace. 

Might have to mix some whiskey in with my Wheaties for courage!

10 hours ago, tvscum said:

Is Otay Mtn open?

It was open last week, haven't been out there since then.  

Glamis was hopping when I went thru this last weekend.  Needed a mask to get in the store.

8 hours ago, tntmo said:

It was open last week, haven't been out there since then.  

I'm almost certain Otay is open especially at Marron Valley.  So is Sycamore Canyon last I tried about a week ago.  Anything controlled by Cleveland NF that has a gate will be locked.  Boulder Creek Rd is open but Eagle Sun  is closed at the falls.  Freshly graded too!  Tecate Peak is open too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tvscum said:

Ok thanks... I assume Pine Creek Rd is closed.

I have read that it is indeed closed. It is within the Cleveland Nat Forest

Pine creek is closed. Tried to go there today with a friend on our dualsports. There were rangers at the closed gate. One said the reason it was closed was because a bunch of yahoos inundated the place after the rains and tried to cut trails everywhere. Now it's closed for erosion mitigation.

We rode through the Luguna's and eventually ended up taking old hwy 80 over to McCain. Based on all I was hearing on this site I expected to see cars parked on the road and people riding around, but there was zero people there. There's signage as soon as you get to the end of the pavement stating the area is closed  - is that new? Maybe they're starting to enforce more?

We took the license-only-vehicles road down towards the end of the park and rolled around the trails down there. It was warm and dusty for sure.

Still, it felt REALLY good to get out and do something actually fun.

• Like 2