97xr400r

offroad hydration backpacks?

My 10+ year old pack is getting tired so i'll be in the market for a replacement soon. Do you guys have any recommendations? Happy with yours, post up!

I'm eyeing the KLIM FUELPAK, anyone have one?

Thanks guys!

dont have a Klim but it seems everything they make is top tier. and everyone I know that uses their products rave about them.looks like a good choice.

I really like my Ogio Baja. I had a slimmer pack that was water only and changed to the baja because it has some storage.

Don't buy a Camelbak... they are anti-off roading. And personally I find the screw on cap a pain.

The Klim you are looking at uses the same bladder as my Ogio. Works well, but the bite valve was too big to easily fit in my helmet to take a drink! I ended up buying a smaller bite valve from another brand (don't remember which)

Carl

I did a bit of shopping around and found a lot of comments about the Kriega (another top tier product) being the most comfortable. However I don't like to wear em so I didn't buy one.

I like my Ogio Flight Vest since it distributes the weight pretty well, just resist the urge to carry the kitchen sink on one of the many pockets.

For the hydration system itself I've been quite pleased with the Platypus big zip. It holds 3 liters, is easy to fill, easy to clean, and doesn't leak.

I've been using a Hi Tech Hydration backpack I picked up from Big 5 for over 3 years. A little bit of storage and the bladder's held up well. Usually catch 'em on sale for $20. I also grabbed a Geigerrig 1200 at Costco but haven't had the need for the expanded storage yet.

Seems the politics will invade everything we do. I Like my Camelbak. I bought one of the prototype packs that are now standard issue to our Marines. Had it for 8 years and no issues. Camelbak support Veterans and I feel that is a noble cause. My 3l camelbak bag is in my Ogio vest. Works great and I like the large screw on cap for icing it up before a desert run. Mis dos centavos. :torch:

A year ago at the gun show they had NexPak backpacks with the bladder pocket 1 for $25 or 2 for $40 and the 2 liter bladders $7 each. I use it as a tool bag at the shop and for mobile calls. It has held up pretty good with 50# of tools in it on a daily use basis. Next show I plan to get another one as a dedicated bike pack (If I can ever get out to another show).

I like the large screw on cap for icing it up before a desert run. Mis dos centavos. torch.gif

This is a good point, John. The Hi Tec has a large screw top opening so I pack it full of ice, then add water. Something to consider if others come with small filler openings.

I like my Ogio Flight Vest since it distributes the weight pretty well, just resist the urge to carry the kitchen sink on one of the many pockets.

Same here......the flight vest can be a bit toasty in hot weather but it's much more comfy to wear than a back pack.....no shoulder tugging....

Recently my new dogs chewed up my hydro pack that I had for almost 5 years. So, I started looking for a new one. After a lot of research I finally picked one from Chaparral. I don't remember the brand but is was on sale for 49 from 99 so it looked like a great deal. When I got it though, it was HUGE. I really was a back pack with a water bladder. It is impossible to tell on most websites how big these things are. Most descriptions do not indicate overall size. I had to return it and look for another. I didn't want anything too big, but I do require a couple of pockets for a few tools and some food etc... So, then I bought a Fly hydra pack. Only $35 bucks. It works fine but the one pocket is not expandable and zips on the side. It will work for short trips but not baja riding etc...

Anyway... my point is the hydro packs out there I think are outrageously priced! I am going to buy what I had before which was awesome since it had several pockets that were both expandable (with slots for tools and more pockets inside) and an outside string holder for extra jackets etc... I got this Hydro Pack at Big 5 or something like that. It is the High Sierra. I think this is just as good as any of the high priced packs out there and it is only $40!!!!

During the winter, I like my Ogio Flight Vest. It's comfortable and holds a ton of stuff (more than I need) comfortably. For me, it's too hot in summer.

In the summer I use the Kreiga R15 backpack. LINK It's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. For running and when I'm riding the GSA, I just use the Kreiga Enduro Backpack. LINK Yes they are expensive, but they are the most comfortable and well-made packs I've ever used.

Whatever CostCo is selling when I need a new one.

Currently I have a High Sierra and the last time I was in CostCo they had a different brand.

They're usually priced under $40 and my current pack is the best I've ever had.

Thanks for all the posts guys, good to see what products work well. I really like the flight vest but I'm afraid it would be wind up being too much weight on my spine and also increase exposure to my personal kryptonite...hyperthermia. The more I think about it the more I want to look into running a fanny pack AND a little water backpack. My thinking is that besides the water I would carry all heavy items in the waist pack to try to keep the weight off my spine and onto my waist.

+1 for the Geigerrig. I've had one for 4-5 years and love it. Very well built!

Thanks for all the posts guys, good to see what products work well. I really like the flight vest but I'm afraid it would be wind up being too much weight on my spine and also increase exposure to my personal kryptonite...hyperthermia. The more I think about it the more I want to look into running a fanny pack AND a little water backpack. My thinking is that besides the water I would carry all heavy items in the waist pack to try to keep the weight off my spine and onto my waist.

That's pretty much what I do. Fanny pack for tools and a hydration pack for water\personal items. I like it much better. I used to put everything in a backpack but towards the end of a long day my shoulders and back would really start hurting. I have a small backpack for shorter rides and a bigger one for when I need additional clothing, etc. I have a Giant Loop Mojave bag for when I really need to take a lot of stuff.

Also have the KLIM NacPack, and completely satisfied. 8 day Baja ride worked flawless. for shorter day rides, i jsut dont fill the bladder up all the way. perfect for medical supplies, tracker, glasses, snacks and stuff.