350thumper

Cross-training after 40

I thought i was Hot Snot on a Silver Platter..

but it turns out im just a Cold Booger on a Paper Plate.

what cross train tips do you guys use to remain top dog?

Start racing vintage mx, it was right about 40 when I started and still going at 56. Great fun and just like here at SDAR you meet a ton of cool people.

I love talking about fitness and training. I'm going to keep it brief though.

Gary Semics just did a good piece about cycling for fitness for his Thumpertalk blog. He states in his video that cycling helped with going stronger for longer during his motos. He also states that you have to really push it on the bike. He is wearing a heart rate monitor during his training and motos. That is vital to get the best results. So cycling could be an option for you. Just keep in mind that when you get on your bicycle your not going out for a bike ride, you're going out to train and you have to PUSH yourself.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/blog/4/entry-66-is-cycling-good-for-moto-training-video-test-results/

About 3 years ago I started CrossFit. Going in for my first class I thought I was in good shape. It became painfully appearant I was not. CrossFit has had some bad press lately about injuries, but only because it's new and growing exponentially. If you want to get leaner, stronger, faster and send your fitness levels through the roof try CrossFit for a few months.

I am taking this year off from CF and focusing on powerlifting to build my strength. While my cardiovascular capacity has diminished slightly I'm still pretty impressed with how much and for how long I can push it on the trail. Next year I'm planning to start CrossFit again.

I wish you the best of luck getting off that paper plate. Like I said, I'm always happy to talk about working out, fitness, food, er nutrition, etc.

After running 15-20 miles a week and working in a physical profession for 34 years, my body decided it wasn't 24 any longer. Tendinitis, less strength etc. With more travel in retirement it was necessary to move toward lower impact work-outs. At 63 working on flexibility and range of motion are continuing goals. To this end I have found Pilates serves me well. 20 minutes makes a big difference in the day and I believe reduces strains / injuries. Surprising to me, riding the bike is a good workout And good for the joints and flexibility.

Ride you bike every day and stay healthy. Don't think you can maintain your strength into " middle " age. :coolio: Learn to adapt.

replace your sewer line.

AAaaaahaahaa! Digging a 4 foot deep trench 40' feet long IS some serious cross training. Especially in your ground. That'll build you up for sure.

Ride your Bike and Mountain bike in the dirt hard till you are exhausted, than rest and keep going. Do this for the next 2 years 2 x week and you are back in shape, If you not fall down hard.

After 50 everything take a little longer to heal and brake's easier.

I work out 5 time a week, but with more joint pain and stiffness I just focus on moving.

63 and still riding. :coolio:

see you out there. :smile_anim:

Start racing vintage mx, it was right about 40 when I started and still going at 56. Great fun and just like here at SDAR you meet a ton of cool people.

I thought you were cross-training on a bicycle across Europe this week. What are you doing lurking around on SDAR?

CiD

replace your sewer line.

AAaaaahaahaa! Digging a 4 foot deep trench 40' feet long IS some serious cross training. Especially in your ground. That'll build you up for sure.

Finish with 12oz. curls.

In my opinion diet is huge as well. I play soccer, ride the mtn bike and chase my 6 year old son around daily. A good smart diet helps out a bunch.

I love talking about fitness and training. I'm going to keep it brief though.

Gary Semics just did a good piece about cycling for fitness for his Thumpertalk blog. He states in his video that cycling helped with going stronger for longer during his motos. He also states that you have to really push it on the bike. He is wearing a heart rate monitor during his training and motos. That is vital to get the best results. So cycling could be an option for you. Just keep in mind that when you get on your bicycle your not going out for a bike ride, you're going out to train and you have to PUSH yourself.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/blog/4/entry-66-is-cycling-good-for-moto-training-video-test-results/

About 3 years ago I started CrossFit. Going in for my first class I thought I was in good shape. It became painfully appearant I was not. CrossFit has had some bad press lately about injuries, but only because it's new and growing exponentially. If you want to get leaner, stronger, faster and send your fitness levels through the roof try CrossFit for a few months.

I am taking this year off from CF and focusing on powerlifting to build my strength. While my cardiovascular capacity has diminished slightly I'm still pretty impressed with how much and for how long I can push it on the trail. Next year I'm planning to start CrossFit again.

I wish you the best of luck getting off that paper plate. Like I said, I'm always happy to talk about working out, fitness, food, er nutrition, etc.

Couldn't agree more on CrossFit. Been doing it off and on since 2012 and recently took the Level 1 Trainer Cert and will start coaching a few sessions a week soon at the "box" (gym). It's a whole new level of fit. I'm 33 so not in the 40's yet, but Crossfit is for all ages and is scalable and adaptable to any individuals strentgh and skill. It's all about functional movement and functional strentgh i.e. directly benefiting riding and life in general.

Most places have a free week long trial. Give it a try.

I thought you were cross-training on a bicycle across Europe this week. What are you doing lurking around on SDAR?

CiD

Layover in Vienna, jump on bike Monday for six days. Got a email from KTM for a tour date but won't work on my schedule. See you in a couple weeks.

Sorry,,,But I cannot get on the CrossFit Bus.

After several years of working with a personal trainer, my wife and I were in good condition. Not marathon condition but healthy and fit. Especially appropriate for my wife, who is no athlete.. So the owner of the Club and our personal trainer catches the CF bug and wants to become a gladiator, And bring everyone in his building along with him. This may be appropriate for those under 35. For older folks, In my opinion,, the short intense rotations lead to break downs. We were in our early 50s at the time. The wife's knees immediately developed symptoms and I turned in my Spartan Shield to save the tendinitis in my arms.

I don't know how this relates to moto riders transitioning from the 30s to 40s, maybe not at all. If you are doing extreme 5 Miles of Hell sections, you probably need CrossFit. Otherwise lower intensity workouts could be helpful.

If you're still strong but need cardio...get a heart rate monitor and do whatever you do (run, hike hills, treadmill, rollerblade) for 30 minutes at 70% of your heart rate. This article explains it pretty well.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/cardio/reaching-your-cardio-target-heart-rate.html

If you need to get stronger...try functional training. The good news is...you can also ride yourself into shape. What would be a bummer is to injure yourself at the gym. A bicep or hamstring strain can put you out of commission for months. Keep this in mind when choosing how to train, keep the focus that you're training to keep yourself riding.

I am 72 and still ride, dance and jog with my dog every morning. Fortunately I am married to a lady who for years has had her alarm set for 3:30 am every day. She is at the gym pumping iron from 4 to 5am. So this is when I do my 5 mile jog with the dog every day. I just need to get back in time to have her coffee ready so she can be out of the house by 6 am to head off to work.

My wife isn't the real motivator. It is the dog. Relentless at making shure she gets her run in every morning at the same time every day without fail!!!. My orthopedist says a good dog is far better than the most expensive trainer.

I must say I agree with Bagstr about the Pilates...helped me lose 30 pounds fast....with a change in diet ....the advanced level was pretty tough ! Pilate's exercised many muscles and joints like I had never felt before.

There are a bunch of other things like all mentioned above...just sharing my experience....now I need to do it again since I'm 35 lbs overweight.

thanks for all the great tips.

im gonna start dancing and jogging with my dog now that i have a good one "riley"

hit the gym that ive neglected..(im gonna look into crossfit) i was at 5k every other day three years ago and did get burnt out.pilates at 24 hr fitness, may be just my speed although its so painful to start.

diet better (told the old lady to give me more veggies.)

and i started banging out the yard work..

got alot done too... built a chicken coop at her house and did a buttload of weeds with a shovel.( no comparison to a 4x40 ditch in rocky hard dirt)

ive got the vintage motorcycle also ..(that

what i always bring).

like bagster said flexibilty and range of movement is huge ...

i am doing the 5 mile difficult trails and for some reason get off on difficulty up and down and backwards..( my next feat is riding up ranger the opposite direction)

i consider busting off my mirror and blinkers a good ride.

and i want to be showing wipper snappers a thing or two at age 72 . that is my long term goal..

you guys on this site hav really helped me step it up a notch..

was dancing with the dog thos mornin..as part of my cross train..

it works.... now we are headed up to anderson for a starter jog..hopefully get my wind back..

Also pulled the bicycles out for tune ups...looking forward to leg strengthening so i can stand up more..

There's nothing quite like mountain biking. It's a great cardiovascular workout, builds up leg strength, and builds up skills that translate directly to dualsport/dirt riding. Beyond that there's nothing like squats, deadlifts, and other free weight exercises to build muscle. Once you can literally pick your bike up (or carry it on your shoulders) righting it after a drop is no longer a challenge.

There's nothing quite like mountain biking. It's a great cardiovascular workout, builds up leg strength, and builds up skills that translate directly to dualsport/dirt riding.

+ its fun! And all trails are open..

Old adage about exercise......

The best exercise is the one you will actually do!