Goofy Footer

Bruised Rib - How long does it linger?

While ascending a rocky hill in Baja yesterday my front wheel deflected hard off a rock (25psi didn't help) and I slammed hard onto some rocks.

Now I definitely have a bruised rib, near my sternum just under my pectoral muscle. It hurts to breath deeply, cough, lift things and definitely when I sneeze.

For those who have had bruised ribs, how long were you out of business (if you were)? I rode the remaining 50+ miles back to the truck but I was definitely a few clicks slower. I'm supposed to ride 2 days in Baja next weekend. When might I expect to be back to 100%?

Blink-182-Enema-of-the-State.jpg

I am not a Dr. but it took three weeks for my pain to go away and it was over a month before all of the soreness went away for me. Good luck with that.

I dislocated a rib, and was better within a week (didn't even know you COULD dislocate one)

I broke two in a hiking fall, and it hurt like hell for weeks, and some soreness for a month or more

So- what I'm saying is...depends-

I broke two in a hiking fall,

wait, wait, wait... a hiking fall?

As in somebody tripped and went boom?

I broke two in a hiking fall,

wait, wait, wait... a hiking fall?

As in somebody tripped and went boom?

Slipped on mossy rocks in a fast moving stream...no video though

I've done it. It was many years ago (30 or so), and I remember it taking a few weeks to get back to normal. I couldn't imagine doing Baja a week later, that's for sure.

Put some dirt on it and head to Baja...

I bruised my ribs and back over a week ago in a slow but hard fall in McCain and it still hurts to sneeze but hoping to ride again sometime this week, last time I thought it was just bruised ribs turned out to be cracked and took 6 weeks before I was OK, and laughing is very painful also.

Lean over the side of your truck bed and pick up some thing, that will make your say Wow.

In Feb. I broke three and a few other things. Took a ride two weeks later and it was a little rough but doable.

Still a little tough laying flat on my back (hard to breath) but other than leaning over the truck bed all good.

Good luck.

On new years eve day in 1979,I broke a couple of ribs about an inch from my spine in an 5th gear endo during which, the bike ended up hitting me in the back....a few times. This took about 6 to 8 weeks to heal properly, but I was a young healthy rider back in those days.

Last time I hurt my ribs I also hurt my back. It took about 2 months before I could sleep comfortably. Crazy sore for the first few weeks then just uncomfortable. I feel for ya. Were you thinking about PN next sunday?

Weeks, not days.

Try not to sneeze.

suppose it depends on the extent of the injury,....but Ditto to the WEEKS, not days.......baja will still be there...perhaps better to go when you can truly enjoy it...(might not be in a week :(/> )

Walk it off, you'll be fine.

My brother snapped a rib sneezing. Yes only sneezing. He was hurting for weeks.

Tim that's bad news. How was riding with with your new guide ? Hope you feel better soon.

As far as the gal with the gloves is she going to change your air filter for you ? :coolio:

Sorry to hear that. Without an X-Ray you really can't know the true extent of the Injury. Could be bruised, cracked or broken. A bruised rib In the right spot can feel worse than a cracked or broken rib In the wrong spot. Make sense? And this type of injury is usually progressive. Pain and breathing difficulty could increase In the next few days. If so seek help.

I cracked two ribs playing hockey when i was checked Into the boards, four days later I was In the hospital. Ambu ride and all.

The muscles around your lungs expand and contract to allow you to breathe, with the progressive Injury the inflammation may take a few days to to make breathing painful. Hopefully it's just bruised and Ibuprofin or something stronger could allow you to ride normal sooner. But I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV so have your loved ones keep a close eye on you for the next few days.

I broke two ribs, punctured a lung, and shattered the end of my humerus back in '04. The greatest lesson I learned is that extended use of Percocet and broken ribs do not mix...or more accurately, severe constipation and broken ribs do not mix.

Most painful experience of my life...

Sure you'll be fine, though.

Thanks for the replies and insight everybody!

While I don't really like to load up on ibuprofen over a consistent basis, I think I could use some in the mornings. No sneezing (no sniffing the flowers), no laughing (no jokes) etc for me haha.

I've been trying deep slow breaths to help expand and contract the muscles around the rib. I'm working on my zen healing

I once twisted a rib while surfing - I hadn't heard of that before but it was literally twisted and the bone protruded from my rib cage. This is a different deal but I'll get through it. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll take it easy and ride a few clicks slower than usual but I'll survive.

I'll be in Baja next weekend for an event, I might sit out riding or just cruise it but I'll be down there enjoying it nonetheless!

ps I guess it could be worse

rick%2Bfranklin%2Bliver%2Bkick.gif

Wow that guy nearly got kicked in half in the video. Sorry to hear about the ribs though. I've heard an old southern remedy is to rub a little barbecue sauce over them before bed. Good to go by the next day. Heal up though and don't go too hard or you could further injure it.

Bruised, Cracked or Broken,,,standard condition for moto riders. unsure.gif

Sorry to say, the slower I ride the more likely and injury. Just no escape. cowboy.gif

Thanks for the replies and insight everybody!

How about a rib update?

How about a rib update?

TU0605-1_BBQ-Spare-Ribs_s4x3_lead.jpg

Delicious.

I rode 350 miles in baja the next weekend but I was conscious to avoid further injuring the rib and kept my pace down a notch. Thankfully it didn't really affect my riding but pushing/pulling the bike out of a gulch was definitely not fun and loading/unloading the bike from my joe hauler hurt. Even pushing the bike around my garage was a pain. Sneezing really sucked for 2.5 weeks. Now I feel that its healed to the point where I do not notice it unless there is pressure applied to it.

Everything considered, I'll call it a win for the natural healing ability of the body - the crash that bruised my rib bent/warped my metal Baja Designs 8" race light housing.

1376931592[/url]' post='157238']
1376924097[/url]' post='157230']

How about a rib update?

TU0605-1_BBQ-Spare-Ribs_s4x3_lead.jpg

Delicious.

Real ribs need no sauce. Looking carefully at the sample image, one notices a paucity of "smoke ring", a reddish-pink color near the surface of the meat. Lack of a smoke ring is a dead giveaway for lack of smoke and smoke flavor. Restaurants that sell this inferior product shall not be named phils rely on sauce to flavor their product. While one may enjoy a meal at establishments like these, they besmirch the good name of BBQ.

This, on the other hand, is indeed BBQ. In San Diego, Coops or Sea World are your best bets.

post-399-093694800 1376933799_thumb.jpg

Real ribs need no sauce.

x2!!!!!

and Tim, I can't believe i didn't even notice/remember your rib was hurt that weekend in baja, you rode like a boss and never complained ONCE. so when we got stuck on that little canyon by the beach for a minute and had to turn the bikes around (was not so easy task in the single track sandy downhill) I totally forgot you were in pain sorry man!!!!