Uncle Champ

Tire purchase thoughts

So I needed a new rear tire,

I went to Martins Motos, he quoted me $125 for a Desert Maxxis but could not get the width I wanted.

I went to Veys (nice guys), they told me Desert Maxxis are no longer D.O.T.

Ok I figured I would stay with Pirelli Scorpion

Called Veys $111.

Called Motoworld they weren't interested , don't carry em sorry.

I toured the internet $89. dollars delivered to my door in a day and a half.

Now if I just knew how to install it.

I don't mind paying more to support local shops but I was almost forced to use the web. So easy.

My point? Just frustrated with the local apathy I guess.

Uncle C.

Merry X-mas

Speaking of installation do's anybody make a tire spoon set with the wrench sizes incorporated into them?

06 TE510

Yes, there are spoons that have the wrench sizing built in. Motion Pro T-6 http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/t-6_combo_lever/ I have a lighter aluminum version of these. Nice that they have the wrenches, but hey're not super long and leverage isn't that great with them.

I would just call around (again...haha) and find someone to mount and balance it for you. There's a place up here that does it for $15. WAY worth it for the lack of aggravation, imo.

By the way, Trophy Hunter Ken reminded me we have a nice discount with Motoworld. Did you reference it in your call? Maybe they'll extend that discount to a tire swap for you.

This is essentially the one I have, but a chinese knockoff I think: http://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0589

T-6 Combo Lever Set, 32mm, 10/12mm, 22/27mm Adapter

• 2 tire spoon set with versatile adapter insert
  • Both levers have perfectly contoured tire lever on one end
  • One lever has unique combination stepped 12/10mm box end wrench on other end for rim lock nuts
  • Unique no-pinch tip on one lever helps protect inner tube during tire installation
  • Second wrench has hex box wrench for 32 mm axle nuts on other end
  • Made from lightweight forged 7075 T-6 aluminum
  • Hard anodized finish
  • Under 10 inches in length and weigh only 3.5 oz.
  • Hex ends for axle nuts are rated for a maximum torque of 90 lb/ft
  • Unique patent pending adapter allows use on 27mm and 22mm axle nuts
08-0589.jpg

Part # 08-0589

$54.99

I have some of the MP ones, too.

The shops that support us have a SDAR member discount. I've found it hard to find a DOT DS tire in stock. Seems the shops are more oriented toward non-DOT users unless it's a street tire.

As far as mounting, they all mount their own if you buy there, some won't mount tires and wheels you bring in. Good thing to ask prior to taking it in. Vey's has done mount & balance for $20-25. Tire prices are negotiable, even without the SDAR discount. I found a D606 at MW once and I asked them to price match online pricing plus shipping. They came within $5 and I left with it.

I know some here have had good luck with Full Throttle in Santee. http://www.yelp.com/biz/full-throttle-powersports-santee

Thank you for the responses, I will note the wrench sizes as I disassemble and then order the wrench/tirespoons accordingly.

Thanks for the link Ken.

CD Cycles usually has the DOT legal Motoz Desert Tractionator in stock.

I don't mind paying more to support local shops but I was almost forced to use the web. So easy.

I hear you on that. Money in your pocket and shooed away.... I don't understand it.

Mike @ Full Throttle in Santee usually takes my money freely and in return fair prices and service. Check him out.

http://www.fullthrottlepowersportsracing.com/

S

+1 for FTP. They were able to get me a very fair deal on a MT43 for the Mistress' KTM 450 on very short notice. Don't recall the OTD price but thought it was a fair price under the circumstances....

I support/pick up many items from local shops......tires aren't one of'em for some of the reasons noted above........I buy tires from Rocky Mtn ATV or Motorcycle Superstore depending on the tire of interest......no tax/free shipping/2 day delivery......I'd gladly pay ~$10-20 more and keep it local but I don't see the interest in my business......

In my current situation, the local business I support is my own. If I can save anything on anything from somewhere else I make that purchase that keeps money in my pocket.

When I have extra money to give away to a local store I will.

Another fan of Mike at FTP.

He will give you a good deal on tires and install them quickly and for a reasonable cost.

Save time, money, and hassle. Buy on-line and mount it yourself.

So I needed a new rear tire,

I went to Martins Motos, he quoted me $125 for a Desert Maxxis but could not get the width I wanted.

I went to Veys (nice guys), they told me Desert Maxxis are no longer D.O.T.

Ok I figured I would stay with Pirelli Scorpion

Called Veys $111.

Called Motoworld they weren't interested , don't carry em sorry.

I toured the internet $89. dollars delivered to my door in a day and a half.

Now if I just knew how to install it.

Uncle C.

Merry X-mas

Speaking of installation do's anybody make a tire spoon set with the wrench sizes incorporated into them?

06 TE510

I live in Lakeside. I have the tire tools and whatnot to mount and balance if you want to come over to my place during the Christmas or newyears long weekends. I do have a few one day things going on but I'm sure we could squeeze you in here.

Get one of those Baja No Pinch Tire Tools and diy...and keep it in your pack for flats. It is on my X-mas list.

yup. it especially works great on the big bikes. I swapped the Tiger tires with it and keep it on board. Mitas E-07 Dakar rear went on no problem.

Veys sold them all , calling me back when they get them in, Motoworld says buy direct from Baja No Pinch so I goggled them and they are out of stock.

Drats. Oh well no big. Thanks for the reminder about the fancy tool.

Here's another option...not sure if it's a knockoff or if the no pinch copied this one.

www.kauritmoto.com

www.tiremountingtool.com

I've had friends have major problems with the baja no pinch tools, just get tire warm in sun or under blanket and space heater and practice with your tire irons you will eventually need in in the middle of no where when your fancy tool breaks.