Afry

Bicycle advice needed

So I'm painfully aware of my lack of cardio and decided to start riding a bike in the mornings. My poor old Costco Especial mountain bike hasn't seen my butt for at least 10 years. The tires are junk and the rear shock is rusted solid. I don't care about the shock because I plan on riding easy stuff (dual-sport if you will). I'm sure the bike needs a total regrease and maybe cables and bearings as well, not sure I want that project.

So I stopped by Wallymart to check out the tires and tubes and they will cost about $50. Okay, not so bad but they had new bikes for $100-150 that look like they would do the job just fine.

Any general advice?

Do I buy a new cheap bike or try and find a better quality used bike?

Anyone have a decent used bike for sale?

Buy used do not buy a sub $500 new bike. Last I looked on Craigslist there was a guy in santee selling a bunch of used name brand bikes for decent prices

I have a cheap beach cruiser......well, it WAS a cheap beach cruiser.......now it's 66cc of BADASS :heh::dead::coolio::smile_anim:

IMAG1251-1_zps48267ded.jpg

For all that is Holy, do NOT buy a crappy wal-mart bike!!! Buy a used hardtail; jamis and raleigh offer pretty good bang for the buck

Agree with BS, do NOT buy a cheap bike....they are a total waste of money.

I have a nice GT XCR 2000, full suspension, mountain bike that would be perfect for you. I'm looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest and would give you a very smoking deal on it. This is was a $1700 bike originally.

Can text pics.

Ok...I am, admittedly, a bit of a bike snob. I raced bmx for years, and when I got into mountain biking I bought a fisher hardtail. Strictly middle of the road bike with low-level components. Taco'd a rim my second ride out...so got a new wheelset...broke a crank...etc. Finally upgraded most of the components and kept the frame...bought a new bike every year, culminating in an Intense Uzzi with XT or better components everywhere...I loved that bike! I guess my point is...a crappy will ride like; well....crap...cuz it is...a good bike is enjoyable....not to mention, the wal-mart bike was put together by a wal-mart employee. Not a bike mechanic; I've seen cables so long they are a danger to your neck, and so short the bars can't turn. I've seen forks put on backwards...wheels out of true. maybe we can have a bicycle tech day sometime, and wrench and tell lies about how fast we were... I was really fast

Keep checking craigslist. You can find a used good brand name bike fairly reasonable. Don't buy Walmart bike!!!

Man, with all this "quality" talk, I'm glad I sprung for a Target special. :)

Man, with all this "quality" talk, I'm glad I sprung for a Target special. :)

Bragger.

Hmmm, bet you haven't heard this before... But do not buy a cheapo bike if you really think you want to ride to have fun and get fit...., unless you don't have one already to ride around mission bay on a pub crawl. However, if you really want to spin a bike that will also let you "float on air" once you get a bit more fit, only a quality bike will let you do that. Also, when you begin to climb and descend like you do on a motorcycle, a cheapo bike will break to pieces. When you are first trying to get in shape, a $10 dollar bike feels like a 3000 dollar bike, that is why you don't think you will care... . But if you ride regularly for about a month, you will then give the cheapo bike to anybody for a sixpack and start shopping again. Sounds like some guys here will help you, me too of course, I might have an extra one that will fit you to try out. cheers.

Arnie I now have a fine collection of bikes. Like motorcycles I went threw them bought them sold them and now settled in on three. I got my desert bike a 29+, my Mtn bike a 27.5 hardtail, and now my dualsport bike a Salsa Fargo. I love them all. Threw all of this I could have bought a used EXC 500.

If in Esco I can show you my collection.

The bike has to fit you. I never bought off of craigslist but have sold many.

Keep checking craigslist. You can find a used good brand name bike fairly reasonable. Don't buy Walmart bike!!!

Ya went on a ride with a guy that just got a Wal Mart bike at Lake Hodges. He was trying to keep up with us and the bike was twisting and the chain was falling off. After the ride he took it back for a refund.

Arnie, I got a bike for the very same reason you are considering getting one. I ride around on the horse trails by the soccer fields while my son's at practice. I didn't want to spend a ton and I didn't need anything too extreme. I ended up with a hard tail Diamondback, it's got disc brakes, front suspension, and decent Shimano components. It's just a run of the mill recreational trail bike, definately not a race bike but it's fine for my needs. Cost was about $500.00 brand new. I've had it for about 5 years, no problems.

I have a cheap beach cruiser......well, it WAS a cheap beach cruiser.......now it's 66cc of BADASS :heh::dead::coolio::smile_anim:

IMAG1251-1_zps48267ded.jpg

And you still have to go to the GYM? You should carry this on your loop around running. LMAO

I ride my 30 year old specilized RockHopper twice the week to work. its only a 30 min ride. 30 years ago $900 and still rides OK. No Stinking suspension.

while I agree suspension isn't a necessity, a decent front shock sure makes trails more enjoyable.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bid/5016978456.html

this is just an example I quickly found. Looks to be in great shape, and a solid frame with decent components. As components fail, you can upgrade... I find Shimano XT (or the sram equivalent) is the best bang for the buck, but LX is ok fro cranks, etc.

Don't decide you need XLT; in my experience, the cost is all for weight savings (like a rear derailleur really weighs much anyway) and they don't hold up as well.

Set aside a small budget each month for tools (bottom bracket wrenches, chain breaker, etc) and do all your own work.

I actually like steel framed hardtails (more forgiving than aluminium) but you HAVE to take care of them; protect from the elements, and paint (or nailpolish) any chips

my current hard tail has a nashbar frame.. it's ok, and stronger than snot. Finish is not that great, but I put really good components on it (every time I upgraded my all mountain bike, the hard tail got the leftovers) and so the bike is pretty good now.

the link above says basically what we've all been saying...

and it reminded me of a story... I took my brother riding in Big Bear; he bought a toys r us bike "on the drive up there". I was riding a Fisher Joshua (now an outdated boom frame bike)...

we stopped 10 times ON THE FIRST RUN just to fix, repair, or tighten parts on his bike... pedals falling off, derailleur refusing to shift, crank fell off, etc.

We went back to the pro shop, rented a bike for the day and he had a blast

then he stopped by Toys R Us on the way home and got a full refund for the absolute piece of crap bike...

About to turn my 1994 GT Zaskar full aluminum polished Mountain Bike into a road racer type thing.

Doc says I can't Mountain Bike anymore. Broke my back...

I have been building some pretty fun beach cruisers with Shimano Nexus internal shifting rear hubs.

This is a Electra Ghost Rider 3 speed.

EBFJan2014023_zpsbda03377.jpg

Nirve Knuckler 7 speed Nexus Shimano internal shift rear end.

BeachCruisers_zps066e0177.jpg

Phat Stretch Cruiser also 7 speed.

Phat3_zpsbad2zqaf.jpg

Keep checking craigslist. You can find a used good brand name bike fairly reasonable.

+1

Must be that time of the year, I dusted off the old machine and brought it up north

Been getting in about 10 miles of urban LA riding prior to work.

I can already feel the difference and wonder why its taken so long to pedal again......

Actually started quite the trend, as most of the crew is from out of town..

A handful of guys found a used bike store off of Fig and scooped up some pretty nice cruisers for $100 each