Strega

Well, I didn't exactly expect that...

Well, as a few of you know, on the Friday portion of LAB2V this year I was hit by a rider out by Cal City. I was traveling at a very high rate of speed on a trail/road when I saw a guy WAY off to my right side perpendicular to me. I really didn't think much about him since I was the lead rider in a group of 3 and very visible, I was on a road with the right of way, and he was off to my right a good distance bushwackin through the dirt. Well, when traveling 70-80mph things happen very quickly and it became apparent to me that he was not going to stop or slow down and we were going to collide if I didn't do something.

I locked up the rear tire and started sliding, while feathering the front brake as best as I could so I wouldn't go over the bars. I don't know how far I slid, but it felt like a football field. As I looked over at him and he was just staring at me, eyes looked like saucers inside of his goggles. He panicked. He didn't brake, he didn't do anything, he just froze and kept riding. He popped out onto the road in front of me and I pitched the bike side ways and the tail end of my KTM took out the front tire of his bike. I had slowed a bit while sliding but that KTM 620 ADV was heavy and it likes to go really fast, it doesn't like to slow down. We had just eaten lunch, gas'd up, top'd off the water, so I was about as heavy as I'd ever be on that bike.

I went down hard on my left side. The bike squashed my left leg under the bike, landed hard on the left hand and shoulder, and hit my head pretty good. About that time PMB and Jim pulled up behind me, and I had just picked up the bike and put it on the kick stand and was on my knees on the left side trying to get my bearings. I was just trying to hold quiet for a few minutes and take a mental inventory of all my body parts to make sure they were all there, and that I didn't have any damage internally that I would need to worry about. Really glad I wear all that gear...I can't imagine how broken up I'd be without the chest protector, flight vest, knee and elbow guards, kidney belt, boots, helmet, etc.

First thought was, "Ah sh*t, not again..." I've had one massive concussion on the bike and a bunch of physical damage from a really high speed wreck out in the Superstition area and I really didn't want to repeat that. I felt ok, and PMB asked me if I knew where I was, what day it was, etc.

Well, the left knee hurt, the left hand hurt, shoulder hurt, but thankfully my head didn't hurt at all. Gotta love a good helmet. I felt ok enough to ride and we saddled up about 15 min later. Things hurt, but I knew there were no broken bones massive internal injuries. I figured the pain in my knee, hand, and shoulder would go away...well, they haven't so I decided to go see the doc.

Doc says:

Fractured left hand

Fractured left Patella (knee cap)

Torn left Rotator Cuff

I've already broken that left hand in that same spot once before playing lacrosse right before the Mammoth Blues Festival. Never had an issue with that knee cap though I have torn the ACL/MCL/PCL in that knee a while back. The left shoulder was already in some form of disarray, now it's just a little worse.

Guess I'll be off the bike a little while till all these things heal up, and possibly surgery on the shoulder in Jan, we'll see how physical therapy goes.

*sigh*

Guest Crusty

That SUCKS I feel bad for you!

Hope you heal up quickly.

I hate not being able to ride!!

Hope you heal soon. What kind of knee protection were you wearing? At least you can still work :) !

That sucks!!! I hate to hear that crap. I hope you heal soon, I will take a broken bone over a tear any-day, bones heal faster, a tear sucks on the rotator cuff, that will take time to heal. I hope it is not a bad tear and they can fix it by scope.

Very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Heal soon!!!! I hope you don't need any replacement (body) parts, but if so, order 'em black...

Very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Heal soon!!!! I hope you don't need any replacement (body) parts, but if so, order 'em black...

Do you have a website for that place? My wife wants to order something for me.

Roger, sorry to hear about this. At least it is not worse than that.

My wife would also like the website!!

Hope you heal quickly.

Ben

I hope you heel fast and go back to riding, I wish you a speedy recovery and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I felt ok, and PMB asked me if I knew where I was, what day it was, etc.

The only problem there, did PM know what day it was.......rolleyes.gif

I always tell myself that crashing or getting injured is never part of the equation, and when it happens its a massive dose of reality

Really sorry to hear its worse then you expected

I never handle injury well but a good attitude and some PT goes a long way

So get well soooooon R

Dam, sorry to hear, Merry x-mas anyway. At least you got to ride away and you are on the sunny side of the flowers. Do your physical therapy and take the pain pills like a good boy.

Strega,

upsidedown.gifunsure.gifsad.giftired.gif

Feel for you buddy. Waiting to heal = a negative

Inquiring mind wants to know, Has your peripheral vision returned to 100%.

Do you have a website for that place? My wife wants to order something for me.

:coolio:

:heh:

Roger- heal up... I've broken my kneecap twice and can tell you it's no big deal like most knee injuries. If I put pressure on it, sometimes it hurts really bad, but most of the time it doesn't even bother me

shoulder injuries suck, and never seem to heal completely

good luck... good luck to you too Jeff

Roger: Sorry to hear about the crash & your injuries. Thank God it wasnt worse. BTW what happened to the squid that hit you ?

Hang in their buddy--Sucks that you are having bad luck riding your bike.

So sorry to hear that...but must say, you are pretty amazing...even that night and the next, going out to dinner with us all, etc etc..and then carrying on life as usual til you went to the doc more recently......You are tuffff!!! Heal soon....

So sorry to hear that...but must say, you are pretty amazing...even that night and the next, going out to dinner with us all, etc etc..and then carrying on life as usual til you went to the doc more recently......You are tuffff!!! Heal soon....

My dad always tells me, 'There is a fine line between tough and stupid'. =)

Sorry to hear about your injuries brother. Heal quick. Oh and your dad was right! :king:

Hey Brother,

Just got back from taking Casie up to Utah for some Christmas break Snowboarding. Drove past that IN-N-Out off the 15 near Mesquite, and thought about you. Sorry to hear about your Crash ! Sounds like it would have killed one of us mere mortals. I think I remember learning somewhere in Medic School that Irish Car bombs have been shown to expedite the healing of bone fractures ! Heal up soon Bro....

E