DigDug

DigDug buys his first real 2-stroke!

Hello from the great white north!!!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello to my warm-weathered friends down south.

My bikes are all put up for the winter - it's not much fun fighting the icy roads up here, so I think that gives me some time to play with my new toy.

I just picked it up today - my first real 2-stroke!

img4274b.jpg

It's a 2008 SkiDoo Summit 800.

img4279sf.jpg

800CCs, two cylinders, oil injected so no pre-mixing, only 100 miles on the clock, 150 horsepower of snow throwing fun! This motor would make one heck of a motorcycle powerplant I'm sure!

It has reverse, but it's not done with gears. You hit a button, the motor slows to almost a stall, then spins backwards!

I'm hoping to take it out this weekend and run it around a bit before I head off to the Pacific for a two week trip.

Of course, I did wind up picking up a couple other 4-stroke toys too.

After spending 1/2 an hour digging just the truck out of the driveway (not even 1/4 of the driveway) after the first hard snow, I hit Lowes and picked up one of these:

blowerh.jpg

And since the truck is running 260,000 miles. Plus won't fit into the garage (who wants to scrape snow and ice every day when it's dark out until 9am). The bike isn't a viable commuter so I picked up another 4-stroke toy/commuter:

img0310tu.jpg

I'm really enjoying the assignment so far. Yeah, it's cold, yeah, it's snowy, yeah, the riding is pretty much done for a few months (on two wheels anyways), but the views are amazing. Here's a couple shots from a local training flight the other day:

img4250s.jpg

img4266ts.jpg

I'm already making plans for the ride all the way north next summer. Hoping my schedule will allow me to take a few weeks off and get on the 950 for a nice long trip!

Who is coming?

Have a great time down there everyone and stay in touch! Keep the rubber side down!!!

Doug,

Awseomeness!! Working with my detailer to see if I can get a couple of years at AKCOM for my next assignment. Planning on coming up your way next Jun on my way to the top.

Take care and enjoy the flying.

That Rubicon is a Looker.

Have fun on the new assignment!

Awesome -- Do you get to ride out of the garage and hit the trails or do you have to trailer it ? That sled is badass !

Very cool...pun intended.

When did they start putting ski's and tracks on 2 smokes? Bizarre idea, guess it would work though :D

SWEET!!!

I think I need to plan an AK trip :)

+1

Lets start planning :)

Very nice. Even growing up in snow country, I never got on one of those Snow blowers. Enjoy it.

Fixed this for you Trophy.

SWEET!!!

I think I need to plan an AK trip :)

+1

Lets start planning :)

All over this one

Snowmobiles (or snowmachines if you're in Alaska) are so much fun. I used to ride in NY but haven't been on one in 20ish years. The biggest drawback is the horrible gas mileage. I guess it's just like dirtbikes only the top offs are 3x as much fuel. The payback is the insane acceleration. Comparable weight to power ratio as Formula 1.

Snowmobiles (or snowmachines if you're in Alaska) are so much fun. I used to ride in NY but haven't been on one in 20ish years. The biggest drawback is the horrible gas mileage. I guess it's just like dirtbikes only the top offs are 3x as much fuel. The payback is the insane acceleration. Comparable weight to power ratio as Formula 1.

No kidding! I've had the chance to get the machine out and ride it a bit. Wow! just WOW! Imagine a machine, 100 lbs lighter than my 950 Adventure with 50% more horsepower! Add to that, the fact that the weight is all up front so it doesn't "wheelie" as easy and you get a ROCKET on groomed trails where it's smooth and traction is good! Now, in deep powder, you use all of that power (think deep sand on a bike, only softer) to keep the sled foating on top.

Here's a few pictures:

Trial run down the lakeside trail.

dscf0061a.jpg

Hero shot:

dscf0069m.jpg

Hardcore dual-sporter:

dscf0135me.jpg

True Alaska SUV (plane on skis):

dscf0138s.jpg

What happens when you don't stay on the gas in the deep powder (lots of digging, lifting and pulling to get it out - typical noob mistake)

dscf0140a.jpg

Great scenery:

dscf0142rp.jpg

I know most will say i'm crazy but i miss the snow quite a bit. awesome pics Doug

Whats the white stuff on the ski's in the garage? Actually guys if you have a bucket list put snowmobiling on it , it's a BLAST! Don't cross thin ice though, or do with LOTS of gas.

Let me see with a paddle and a ski on the 950, hmmmm.

HI Doug!...Awesome toys....and beautiful pics... :king:

RARELY happens but you actually made me appreciate the snow for a moment!!...something magical about the quiet peace and beauty of the forest after a snow storm..

(I worked outside year round in New England for many years, used snow shoes to survey)........perhaps why I now MORE enjoy palm trees...Take Care and keep in touch...

My idea of hell:

dscf0140a.jpg

add a pissed off boss yelling at you(*in the ear bud from the lodge :rolleyes: ), and that was a winter i spent in the Sierras.

YOUR adventure looks more fun! enjoy it!

B)....pictures brought me back to those times...ah.... memories, thanks DigDug!!