paulmbowers

STOLEN: My KTM

KTM Stolen in San Diego County 1.8.11

After a rear sprocket failure, I had to leave my bike parked in the bushes on the side of Highway 78, about a half mile west of S2. I returned first thing next morning, and it was gone. Two tire tracks leading up to the place it was parked suggests a pickup and as the rear wheel was locked up, it had to be two or more scumbags.

This bike is highly modified and fairly unique. Notable is the Trail Tech Extreme Trail Light, and the 6.6 gallon Acerbis tank without he ADV Toureg on the side. While I suspect the bike may already be in pieces, I'd sure like to find it. The insurance money is significantly short of it's replacement value.

2003 525

White/natural tank

Black plastics

Please contact me via email- pmb@pmbowers.com

Thanks.

mybike.jpg

And, special to the thieving bastards the took it:

030181-2.jpg

Completely sux =\ I'm sorry I wasn't able to drive out there last night and help. :(

I believe there is a special place in Hell for bike thieves. In the old west they shot horse thieves I think maybe it still might be a good idea for bike thieves.

Covered in Grief

Sorry to hear it Paul.

Fight the insurance coverage with all of your reciepts for items lost. My buddy just got $18,600 for a 2003 Tundra with 50,000 miles on it cuz he had all his service records and fought their settlement offer to the District Manager level.

And don't forget your homeowners insurance for accessories, etc. It's why we pay those ridiculous fees...

And post it up on CL for SD, Imperial, Palm Springs and IE.

Best of luck in locating it.

I will be out looking around up here for you, it will turn up in one way or another and we will find it.

I'm gonna print this and put up some pics in All american for you. Lots of traffic through there and the more eyes the better i would think.

I'm sorry to hear this Paul, will be keeping an eye out for it.

I know how it feels to break down in the middle of nowhere and not be sure what to do. I guess the best thing to do is to go through the members only contact area and make a list of names/numbers and hope that someone is available to help.

Wow Paul, that sucks big time. If you had called me I would have been there, but that is OBE at this point.

Good luck with the fight you are in for.

Damn Paul.. That sucks man.. Karma is a bitch and the thieves will get theirs..

Paul; sorry for your loss... I know the money is only part of it; that bike was your creation...an insurance settlement won't begin to cover that bike...

If you want to ride, I always have a spare bike for you...it won't be yours but you can be out riding...

Good luck on the recovery...and some frontier justice for the doosh-bags that stole it

Thanks, everybody.

I had plenty of offers for recovery last night, and obviously the retrospectoscope indicates I should have taken up folks on their offers. But I thought it a reasonable risk, and a much simpler solution to return the next morning on my own, rather than have folks driving all over creation for a simple breakdown.

The LEO was quite surprised, as he has not had a reported theft like this is a couple years. It was likely a crime of opportunity.

BS- you're right, it's not just the money. I'd been through the farkling cycle with that bike and had finally got it to be perfect for my use. Yesterday's ride was exactly it's raison d'etre- exploring some road, much dirt road, and lots of distance. Not a lot of single track, but not a lot of pavement, either.

It will be missed.

I have emailed all the KTM dealers in Southern California with the original post including pics.

The other thing I thought as I rolled up? I should have left my SPOT hidden on the bike before I left it. Just a tip.

OUCH!! that sucks Paul..REALLY sux

let us all know what we can do to help you out in these times of pain.

i'll keep my eye out...hopefully someone will see it.

B)...and i thought a stripped oil filter cover bolt was a bad day :unsure:

Fargin Bastages ! Sorry to hear about your loss. I wonder if thieves have ever had anything taken from them that they love or have invested in ? Just wondering if they know what it feels like to lose something to a thief. I know how it feels to have a Mc stolen, my very 1st Mc was stolen & orchestrated by a new "friend" when I was 14 years old. Never will forget it. I got it back after a classmate told me he knew who ripped it off. But my bike was torn up. Turns out they were some 18 year olds that already had wrap sheets. That was back in the 70s in a rural community. Justice will prevail, they will get theirs. Hoping you get your bike back ASAP & in the condition you left it in.

Damnit Paul! I drove right by that area from OW last night....wish I would have known...I would have picked it up for you.

Can't change history (as I am sure you have thought of quite a bit).....I will be on the lookout for you.

Note to all others out there....if you are stranded and people stop to see what is going on and you send them on their way, take note of a lic plate or something. Has been common practice that they are actually checking out your stuff and may come back to grab what you got.

They may not have taken what you got....but at least if it happens you will feel better knowing that you are exhausting other possibilities.

Worst feeling in the world having a thief take advantage....I feel for you Paul

The other thing I thought as I rolled up? I should have left my SPOT hidden on the bike before I left it. Just a tip.

Brilliant! And I have had my Spot with a very limited line of sight to the sky and it still reported every 10 min.

This isn't just the loss of a motorcycle. You had enough blood, sweat and tears into that bike that it is more like losing a best friend.

I'm really sorry to hear your news.

Dammit, that sucks. I hate thieves. I'll keep an eye out for it, or parts. Also had a friend lose all his riding gear from his truck last night, thieves hit him too. In a secured lot also.