SlowDown

KTM Major Motor Repair

My '05 KTM 525 EXC blew its Motor and Tranny when a bearing came loose and rattled around inside. The damage was so bad that the loose bearing even caused damage to the piston (or so the shop told me). I'm going to go take a look at the damage today.

My shop has quoted me $3200 to fix it, so I'm looking at alternatives. B)

Any ideas? I'm thinking of looking for a new or used (rebuilt) motor but can't find anything online to compare prices of this route vs. having the shop rebuild it. Does anyone have a line on a vendor that sells KTM motors? ;) Thanks!

I would call C&D Cycle Center - (858) 277-3298

Steve Greib < - - The guy to talk too

4813 Convoy Street

San Diego, CA 92111-1610

(858) 277-3298

Run it by him, see what he thinks. He's now doing all of the bike work I'm unable to do. Reasonable prices, excellent work, never once had an issue.

I just spoke to him, said that they don't just sell complete motors for that bike, and you're basically gonna end up working off a part's list. Give him a ring though, good guy.

Call veys at the lemon grove store they can quote you a new in crate price tell them your a sdar member, mayby a discount,

if not ask for robert he owns the store he should give it to you.

Just curious, did you keep up on the recommended oil change & maintenance intervals ? This is CRUCIAL to those race bred motors.

That's one reason I don't think I'll own one of those bikes. One or 2 rides, and you gotta change the oil.

Part the bike out on ADVrider or KTMtalk and buy another. You can get a lota cash for the pieces and buy a good complete bike for a low price. A guy at work has a plated 525 that he keeps talking about selling since he never rides it - I will give him a shout.

Just curious, did you keep up on the recommended oil change & maintenance intervals ? This is CRUCIAL to those race bred motors.

That's one reason I don't think I'll own one of those bikes. One or 2 rides, and you gotta change the oil.

I've got a 07 525 with 11000 miles on it. At 9500 I had Bob Schaefer do a top end his opinion was it woulda gone for many more miles. I've run this thing hard for 1300 miles without a oil change, I usually go 20- 25 hours between oil changes, did I mention it weighs at least 75 lbs less than that 690. Just get one, the WAHOO factor is very high.

Yup, a friend of mine with a 525 just did the same thing. His motor didn't blow up but, just a total rebuild, top end, crank and bearings and now has to keep his bike longer because of how much money he dropped into it.

Hey Wil, you listening?

I've got a 07 525 with 11000 miles on it. At 9500 I had Bob Schaefer do a top end his opinion was it woulda gone for many more miles. I've run this thing hard for 1300 miles without a oil change, I usually go 20- 25 hours between oil changes, did I mention it weighs at least 75 lbs less than that 690. Just get one, the WAHOO factor is very high.

I rode a 530 this weekend, my friend let me try his. Yeah, it's an awesome bike.

But, you go 20-25 hours between oil changes ? Way above the recommended interval....maybe the bike can take it, but you won't know until it fails.

I'll stick with my 950.......it's got a LOT more power ;)

The bike was new to me in July. The damage came on my first significant overnight ride. Maybe 12-15 hours since the last oil change. The dealer suspects that one or more needle bearings gave out. The resulting slop in the gears ate into most of the others. The metal filings were then carried throughout the rest of the motor causing other damage. Even the piston was scored by the metal.

It was my fault for trying to nurse the bike back to Barstow from Ridgecrest. That is where I did the most damage. I should have found a way to trailer it back. But hindsight is always 50/50.

Go to KTM talk and search for caflash . He (Bob) did my motor for MUCH less than that with lots of mods, including a Dave Hopkins head that nearly never needs valve adjustments.

Can't endorse him enough.

Yup, a friend of mine with a 525 just did the same thing. His motor didn't blow up but, just a total rebuild, top end, crank and bearings and now has to keep his bike longer because of how much money he dropped into it.

Hey Wil, you listening?

2 strokes break too :good: and the KTM is a race motor...

2 strokes break too :good:

They sure do and thank Heaven they are a whole lot cheaper and easier to repair. :bad:

Hey Wil, you listening?

2 strokes break too :good: and the KTM is a race motor...

You missed it again, the jest of the topic is not that a 4 stroke breaks and a 2 strokes do not. They all break, and all two stroke offroad bikes have race motors. The point here is you can rebuild you 2 stroke 2 or 3 times that Slowdown is going to spend. Remember I'm a fan of both, I have a KTM, YZ250f, YZ250 ect. I have a 2 stroke motor on my bench that blew every gear in the thing and a hole through the case. Lets see all new gears, hole fixed, new piston ect, cylinder bored,all new bearings and seals. I'm in about $450.

I rode a 530 this weekend, my friend let me try his. Yeah, it's an awesome bike.

But, you go 20-25 hours between oil changes ? Way above the recommended interval....maybe the bike can take it, but you won't know until it fails.

I'll stick with my 950.......it's got a LOT more power :o

Some people ride street bikes that can go on the dirt.

The rest of us ride dirt bikes that are street legal

You date a supermodel, you gotta keep up on the maintenance.

I'll stick with my lusty peasant girl. :o

Part Number: 089428

Description: ENGINE 525 EXC 4T 2006

Retail: $3,601.82

Your Price: $3,061.55 (15% discount)

you can search munnracing.com search by OEM PARTS and DESCRIPTION and STARTS WITH then type "engine 525" or whatever. If you have someone thatcan hook u up you can get them cheaper. 15% is for general public.

Sorry your motor blew up. the RFS is pretty solid. I've got 310 hours on mine, ridden very hard in the desert with no problems. Lots of several minute long wide open 90mph sections almost everytime out there. I always think its going to explode going across the dry lake bed and through some of the big washes but never does.

The thing that makes the bearings break is when you flog the bike on the pavement, the crank expands and the main bearings can't hadle the axial load. The guys who race these motors supermoto convert the main bearings to ball bearings instead of rollers and mill off weight from the cranks.

Good luck.

you can search munnracing.com search by OEM PARTS and DESCRIPTION and STARTS WITH then type "engine 525" or whatever. If you have someone thatcan hook u up you can get them cheaper. 15% is for general public.

Sorry your motor blew up. the RFS is pretty solid. I've got 310 hours on mine, ridden very hard in the desert with no problems. Lots of several minute long wide open 90mph sections almost everytime out there. I always think its going to explode going across the dry lake bed and through some of the big washes but never does.

The thing that makes the bearings break is when you flog the bike on the pavement, the crank expands and the main bearings can't hadle the axial load. The guys who race these motors supermoto convert the main bearings to ball bearings instead of rollers and mill off weight from the cranks.

Good luck.

Kind of funny timing on this subject.......friend of mine is also looking for a 525 EXC motor.

I gave that part number to a KTM dealer and they said that the part number is no longer available through KTM......pretty much the only KTM you can buy a crate motor for is an ATV.

Good luck.

Kind of funny timing on this subject.......friend of mine is also looking for a 525 EXC motor.

I gave that part number to a KTM dealer and they said that the part number is no longer available through KTM......pretty much the only KTM you can buy a crate motor for is an ATV.

you can probably still get a beta crate motor. the ATV motors are slightly different I think the starter is in a different spot. If that is the case, the gentleman fakename mentioned can take care of you guys. I'd get a rebuilt one that already had the ball bearing conversion done if it were me.

good luck.

You date a supermodel, you gotta keep up on the maintenance.

I'll stick with my lusty peasant girl. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: ..........Pretty sure the WR250R qualifies as a lusty peasant girl.......with no shoes! (horsepower)

Ouch on those new engine crate prices........throw labor on top of that and you're talking about a LOT of $$.......parting the bike out out would be a hassle but perhaps worth the effort rather than sinking a ton of cash into the current bike.......then, at some point, you could invest in another bike which may or may not be.......another "supermodel" :o

I can only afford maintenance on two smokin' gals at my house.......the 520 and Kathy..........(I sure hope the WR250R and CRF230F don't read this post :o:lol:B) )

Look for a not street legal version of the same bike, might be able to pick one up for $2500. Put the motor in your bike, then part the rest of the goodies out. I bet by the time you are done you could come out with a $1000 motor. It's some work/time, but it's money ahead.

Something like this? I know it's an SX, but lots of the parts are compatible.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1535458056.html

• Like 1

Consider Fake Names advice...his bike digs TRENCHES!!! In asphalt...serious horsies...which he FLAUNTS every time we ride together

Ouch on those new engine crate prices........throw labor on top of that and you're talking about a LOT of $$.......parting the bike out out would be a hassle but perhaps worth the effort rather than sinking a ton of cash into the current bike.......then, at some point, you could invest in another bike which may or may not be.......another "supermodel" :lol:

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34552 :hysteric:

I just took the parts list quoted by the dealer and ran it through Motosport's online OEM price list. I can save almost $900 off the total parts quoted by them ($2000) by buying them myself. If the dealer allows me to buy the parts myself and I sell my spare set of wheels, I may still save my marriage... B)

The bike was new to me in July. The damage came on my first significant overnight ride. Maybe 12-15 hours since the last oil change. The dealer suspects that one or more needle bearings gave out. The resulting slop in the gears ate into most of the others. The metal filings were then carried throughout the rest of the motor causing other damage. Even the piston was scored by the metal.

It was my fault for trying to nurse the bike back to Barstow from Ridgecrest. That is where I did the most damage. I should have found a way to trailer it back. But hindsight is always 50/50.

Ron, Sorry to here this, but do not beat yourself up. The bearing had an early-life failure. Also you did not know the maintenance schedule from the previous owner.

When the failure occurred you were 10 miles from the nearest road and 75 miles from your truck. Pushing or towing it was not an option, due to the deep sand.

I just took the parts list quoted by the dealer and ran it through Motosport's online OEM price list. I can save almost $900 off the total parts quoted by them ($2000) by buying them myself. If the dealer allows me to buy the parts myself and I sell my spare set of wheels, I may still save my marriage... :)

Check with caflash. Really.

• Like 1