hoss314

Trying to find a bike for my lady

I am trying to decide on what bike to get my other half. She has 0 experience riding a bike (except on the back of my street bikes)

My first initial thought was a TW200. I feel that the fat tires will help her in sandy situations since the family goes out to Ocotillo Wells all desert season. I was also thinking of getting a plated bike so that when she gets used to the bike, we can cruise street legal trails.

I was also thinking of getting an older bike so that I don't dump a bunch of money into it and she possibly not like it. (selfish side of me says that I can keep a fun beater if she doesn't :unsure: )

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

The TW is plated & served my Dad well on the Bar 10. Mild power but hauled him no problem...even at 6900 feet. FN & son enjoyed it at Lark 2 up .....so much that he now owns it.

Others have had more experience with the TW & there are plenty of other bikes too.

Happy Hunting!

I've been thinking the same thing. Even if I get my green sticker bike legal it won't really be newbie lady friendly. The TW200 however is quite a bit lower seat height and I have seen it used by many ladies.

I rode one at my MSF course too lol thing I like least about it is the drum brakes.

The XT250s etc I think are popular at least on ADVrider for 250cc bikes and the "super sherpa" but I am not really sure what bike that is

The XT250s etc I think are popular at least on ADVrider for 250cc bikes and the "super sherpa" but I am not really sure what bike that is

Kawasaki makes a Sherpa 250 and it is an air cooled and low saddle height street legal trail bike.

The TW is a great bike for what you're seeking. The newer ones, like mine, have a front disc brake. Very tame motorcycle, real low tot he ground, and I can jump on it. But the landing is a little hard.

Highly recommended.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/

p

I've been thinking the same thing. Even if I get my green sticker bike legal it won't really be newbie lady friendly. The TW200 however is quite a bit lower seat height and I have seen it used by many ladies including fakename.

Did I read this right? It has a lower seat?

The yamaha xt225 is considered a girls bike by many.

The TW200 however is quite a bit lower seat height and I have seen it used by many dual sport superstars, including fakename.

Yes, the seat height is a bit lower.

I bought a TW for my wife and it was great for her, the low seat height and push button start. The wide tires I feel didn't make a big difference in the sand, it would walk all over just like one of our bigger DS bikes and trying to get that faster is better in the sand was a hard one for her. I still think its still a fun little bike and for her also. Kelly

don't get a 2-stroke CR500, no matter what! :unsure:

maddo-sequence-cr500.jpg

I suggest a Yamaha XT225.....low seat height, lightweight, good motor and reliability.

I've been looking on Craigslist out of curiosity as well for the XT's

I've been looking on Craigslist out of curiosity as well for the XT's

Trophy has a buddy that's looking to move a XT225......

The suspension on those isnt great but do you think it suffices for a wife bike? I need to get her on a bike to see if she will stick with it before I do anything else.

I talked to Kelly about some parts for my DRZ-250 and I can get a lowering link for 75 bucks so maybe i should fix it up and try to put her on it first, but I would like to have a plated bike for her in the long run if she gets into it

As one of those "ladies" I can add something. I think the decision certainly depends on what kind of riding she will do. depends too on how tall she is?

really good if she can try something before choosing too....if thats available..

A year ago, (as a beginner, with alot of quad experience only)....I looked at every possible dual sport out there that was short enough for me (at 5'-4" vertically challenged :lol: )...I did consider the tw and the xt's....I choose the 09klx250s....more costly for sure..($5k).and much heavier (my bike weighs in at a whopping 300 lbs +/-)...yuk.....

But I choose it because I wanted a bike to grow into to, more a a "true" dirt bike that had real suspension, perhaps more longevity etc, etc....as opposed to what was termed a "play bike" to me.....(the tw's and xt's)....much less power, suspension, etc, etc.

beeezzz was looking also, he and his wife tried my bike at ocotillo and really loved it....you are welcome to try it if you want to ....pm me and we'll set something up.

I love my bike, except for the weight....when I dump it, it takes ALOT of energy to pick it up and get going.....so it wears me out....only an issue when I get into something more than easy fireroads, etc.....and I usually only dump it once a ride or so.. :scratch_one-s_head: ...luckily.....it cruises awesome on the street through....does 70 no problem...6 gears....also crawls pretty well even on more rocky terrain....(i have had it rejetted and put a lighter pipe on it).

the honda 230's are good but expensive and also heavy....(it's the smog junk I think on these newer bikes)....

I didn't want to buy used, as I don't want to break down..(I'm the only mechanic in the house, and oh well, enough said)....

Ive since acquired a couple 2 stroke, nice light bikes, which I am loving for trail riding.....good to have choices......much easier to pick up and load in the truck too.....(too tall for me but with a bit more experience now, I deal with that,,,

anyway....hope this helps a little .....happy shopping..

one observation about the TW the fat tires seemed to make it steer a little sluggishly to me... especially running low pressure. Keep the speed up, and it wasn't so bad

but I do think it steers like a tractor... but yours is nice, Paul :scratch_one-s_head:

Yeah I dont think my wife is a play bike girl thats the issue she will go pretty much anywhere I go when it comes to riding except super steep downhill kind of freaks her out so I dont want her to have something not capable. I will be ordering parts from Kelly and trying to fix up my DRz-250 first I think

TW may be a little heavy and not so responsive for a noob. I'd be inclined to go with the TTR or perhaps a CRF 150, depending on her size.

Whatever bike you get, make sure you put her into a good, qualified Motorcycle Safety Foundation certified Dirt Bike School. This will save your relationship and add years of fun to your off roading experience with her.

I hear there are a couple of guys here that offer someting like that... good guys too... :angry:

Come to escodido and pick up my pit bike, its a CRF 150. Its a fun bike and its the 1st year 150 air cooled so its tame. Call me or PM me. # is in members only. You are in North County right ?

Yeah Oceanside.

And yeah I have been meaning to get myself to one of the classes and wanted my wife to go as well. when are you and Carguy doing the next class?

This could be a really good wife bike if its plated which it seems to be.

Its a 4t though isnt it? and no E-start yet?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1197339199.html

Jay

My wife has been putting up with my motorcycles for 23 years. The only way you will get her interested is to get her something she can feel safe and comfortable on. Don't worry about it being the best bike for the purpose. Put yourself in her shoes and go by what would appeal to her. If she doesn't enjoy it she definitely would not stay with it. My wife will ride two up with me on my street bike and ride her quad in the desert but that is about it. I have learned not to push it, if you know what I mean. B)

Don

She wants to ride a bike because she hates being left behind from being able to go riding with me I just dont know if she will enjoy it due to the xtra "work" of riding a bike to keep it balanced etc

She wants to ride a bike because she hates being left behind from being able to go riding with me I just dont know if she will enjoy it due to the xtra "work" of riding a bike to keep it balanced etc

:blink: Work? :lol:;)

:lol: Work? :lol:;)

Well vs a quad where you dont have to keep the thing upright all the time.