97xr400r

Hey 2 smoke guys, what's the bike to get?

The smallest lightest bike ive had was my 400. Ive been trying to ignore the idea of getting a light weight truck-it-out moto to ride singletrack and nasty desert tracks but it keeps cumming up. 

I would like to have a bike that is very close to 200lbs and blows smoke-rings. Also would like to slap a South Dakota plate on it to be able to link trails without hassle .

I think i'm looking for excessive power, wide ratio transmission and 6+ hour range. 

Is a 300 the bike to get or are there other great options, would I be happy with a 250?  I'm talking used bikes, i'd love to go get a new 300tpi but I'm pretty sure i'd regret it once i saw it tumbling down a cliff.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ask someone to let you take a spin on their 300 and after that I bet you will have your answer.  They are good bikes, the newer ones with the counter balancer are even better.  A plate would put the icing on the cake.  

You heard it here first!

• Like 1

Finding a nice two stroke will be easy.  All late model two stroke cross country bikes are very nice, with electric start and some even have oil injection....but getting one registered with out of state tags will probably not happen.  The laws surrounding this have closed all the loop holes, making it darned near impossible.

Ktm 300!! On my 2nd and gonna upgrade later this year if bikes will be available. Having said that my 2017 ktm 450xcf is on paper same weight as 300 but feels 25lb heavier while riding but gets me 90% of what my 300 could do. A  setup ktm 350 is hard to beat also for the average sized guy and can get a car plate

I've seen something used but clean sitting outside ECC the last couple of times I've been in there (within the last week) that might fit your bill.  Had one of those big fat funny looking pipes coming out of the front so pretty sure it will blow smoke rings :)

Brad Spaugh ( on a child rearing hiatus ) went all to way to a KTM 150 for the total Bushwacker Bike.  The smallest bike with full size wheels.

👀

👂

Are there any years in particular that seem to have a better than average reputation. I like the simplicity of carburetors? 

My only 2 stroke experience was a kdx 220 up in big bear. I rode it for 5-10 minutes and haven't been able shake the mountain bike feel of it and usable powerband. Maybe it was just the huge contrast from jumping off my 950 to that haha.

Oh wait, I also rode Katos cr80 and was super impressed with that too. Maybe that 150 would be it... I just don't have the experience with these bikes to know. 

I'm a bit apprehensive to jump on your bike Dan. I really appreciate the offer...sounds like there might be no going though. I might have to take you up on the offer 🤯

Little bikes are a blast.  I ride a WR 125, and it is as much fun as my 300, but turns even easier.

100_1429.jpg

The 300 is light enough, yet also had enough “grunt” that you can kind of lug it like a four stroke.  Almost magical, in my opinion.  The electric start is really nice as well.  

FYI ready to race my Husky TX300 weighs in at 242 on pro grade scale,  stock tank, only with essential needed bling, TMD skid plate, shark fin, flexxbars, extra weight unsprung from Mousses so give or take 10Lbs total for tubes. so best about 230 without some of my addons (flexxbars are heavy a couple pounds for them as well) TX300  C/B shafted Carburated linkage bike. KTM PDS bike are 5 or so pounds lighter still), removed oem lead battery for Li batt to lose another 3 Lbs.

‘17+ 300 for sure. Counterbalance makes a world of difference, especially if you’re trying to ride 6+ hours. I have a plate on mine (Texan and military) but really only use it once or twice a year to ride Big Bear. I avoid pavement like the plague. Just need it to connect trails. 

I have a 2001 YZ 250 that's built for the track. The entire bike (motor top + bottom, suspension, controls, plastics, seat, everything) was rebuilt about 8 (engine) hours ago. 

I had the chance to ride it back-to-back with a 2020 Husky 300 with fuel and oil injection last weekend. The bikes are world's apart. 

The new 300 has a MUCH smoother power delivery, and almost didn't feel like a 2 stroke with the lack of a wild, surging powerband. It had plenty of power for sure...it was just a lot more linear. It rode well in lower RPMs and everything about it just felt...lovely. Plus the injection runs it nice and lean so you don't spit oil everywhere.

I still love my 250 for laps at Fox, but I'll never look at it the same way out in the open desert.

If you want a plate, I think your best option is likely an older (already plated?) out of state 250 that's been tuned for trails. Brian mentioned above a 350 EXC, which is the direction I would go if I really needed a plate and wanted something as light as possible. Maybe you can find a used one and throw a Vortex box (or similar) on it to really wind it out.

any late model 250/300 2T is a great platform as a do all machine. The YZ250 is also a great platform to work from as well.