Crawdaddy

Finding Cannonball's Trail

Glad Don Emde was able to come down and talk with us again last night at the club meeting.........I've visited Don's shop in Orange county/offered to help him in whatever capacity with the kick-off/first few days of this epic journey/event.

The "Finding Cannon Ball's Trail" centennial ride this coming May will be an event not to miss just due to the pure "coolness" of taking off on the same day (down to the minute) as Cannonball Baker did 100 years ago..........pretty wild to think Edwin Baker left San Diego, crossed the United States, and arrived in NYC in 1914 on a "7" hp Indian motorcycle and he did it in 11 days ........wow! . Think about that for a minute.......imagine what the "roads" were like ~100 years ago.........you can bet he was predominately on trails, not roads, west of Mississippi........and I'm sure the "roads" were questionable east of the Mississippi......STUD. :smile_anim:

I don't have the luxury of being retired so my schedule is not my own......I plan on riding the first 3 "light dirt" days on my VStrom then I'll wave goodbye to the core group of ~25 that are riding all the way across the country........I'll figure out my return path as we get closer to the event........started this thread as a place holder if others want to tag along too......I'll update it as I coordinate with Don on logistic plans/expenses/etc.

Finding Cannonball's Trail Website: http://www.cannonballproject.com/content/ (click on the tab "Baker's Route" to read Edwin Baker's journal from 100 years ago describing each day......pretty wild trail tales)

A couple of Baker's journal excerpts:

Day 1. May 3, 1914: The Ride Begins

Leaving the Rain Behind

The morning of May 3 found me dressed in leather riding trousers, short raincoat and a khaki shirt, while I had a special canteen made to hold a gallon on water to help me across the desert. A beautiful rainstorm made its appearance, going south on the coast, and my good friends who were putting their money on me as a winner tried to prevail on me not to start, and those who were figuring on me to lose seemed to be very anxious for me to get on my way. But none of them knew I was using science in this thing and one of them figured this was only a local storm which I knew I was going to start out in, and at 9 a.m. Pacific time, I made my start before a battery of cameras and moving-picture machines."Thirty miles out from San Diego, in the Cottonwood Mountains, the sun came out in all its glory, together with a strong wind, While passing along here I met a regiment of U.S. Infantry hiking along the Mexican border. The road where I met them was in a mountain pass and they formed in line and gave me enough room to pass through them on the mountain trail, all cheering and waving their hands. About five miles further on I came on to another body of soldiers, who were all at rest. It certainly did seem as if war had begun with the Mexicans, for it looked as if the boys had enough cannons and ammunition to blow up the whole of Mexico."

Day 3. May 5, 1914: Phoenix to Springerville, AZ

On the morning of May 5 I told the boys that I was going to Springerville. Ariz., and that I was going to do it that day before sundown. Everyone gave me the laugh, because they knew I had some riding before me, having to ride from 250 feet below sea level to a rise of 9,647 feet above sea level—a ride through hot desert sands and right up through three inches of snow—a distance of 265 1/2 miles from Phoenix.

I also had some very unkind comments made to me regarding the little “pop-gun” I was carrying, and Doc Boido stepped up to me, took the toy away and snapped a real “cannon” on my handlebars—a Smith & Wesson 38-caliber long, for which I was mighty glad afterward. The gun looked all right to me because it had three notches on the butt of it. It proved afterward that I sure did have use for this gun, for while coming through the Indian reservation at Fort Apache I was given a big welcome by more dogs than Indians, and I had to put this gun to use. These dogs were worse than wolves and I had to drop two of them in their tracks to get by. I stopped at the Indian agency (not Indian Motocycle agency, but the Government Indian agent) and some of the Indians gathered around making noises that sounded to me like: “Ugh! Heap fine pony! Heap fast pony! Ugh! Go get ‘em pony.”

I wonder if I could talk Grandma and Grandpa into watching the boy for a few weeks. Its either this or I am doing the TAT this year!

I'm in for the first 2-3 days, this sounds like a blast!

Warped X is the weekend before but I shouldn't be too hungover...

I told Don last year I was in. Then found out only the first few days had any dirt so I told him I'd like to do just those. So I'm in for the first 3 days then a nice ride back. I'll be on my 950SE.

CiD

Anybody have one of these I can borrow for the first two days? :D

1914-indian-motorcycle-content.jpg

I had clearance to do the whole thing but then the entry fee hit. Even for the first 3 days. If that's been waived, it'd be nice to know.

I had clearance to do the whole thing but then the entry fee hit. Even for the first 3 days. If that's been waived, it'd be nice to know.

Don mentioned no fee for the 3 day tagalong since it's a free country and public roads. The BBQ and museum deal is $50 a ticket but you don't have to go to it.

I'm thinking a 2 day ride out and stop at Springerville then hot foot home on Monday - maybe motel it halfway and sight see a bit. The road west from Springerville looks pretty nice.

well that sounds workable.

Now I have to see if I'm clear again since I wiped it off the marital calendar :ph34r:/>

http://www.cannonballproject.com/content/ (click on the tab "Baker's Route" to read Edwin Baker's journal from 100 years ago describing each day......pretty wild trail tales)

Thanks Chris I'm enjoying that, great stories and history there.

A couple from the "preparations" page:

Starting with the way he got to San Diego..

"On January 7,1912, I groomed up my 1912 two-speed Indian and left Indianapolis and rode clear through to Miami, Fla., and from the Florida Keys I took passage on a streamer to Havana. I rode over the entire island of Cuba and from there I rode over the entire island of Jamaica. Then I took a steamer to Colon and crossed the Isthmus on my Indian, and then took a steamer up to San Diego, Cal."

In 1912? easy.

or that:

"we started to write letters to people along this route, inquiring about roads and bridges and where gasoline could be located. We consumed two months getting this data together. We found that from Rice on to Fort Apache it was impossible to get gasoline. These places were located from 40 to 120 miles from railroad stations, so we arranged for gasoline packed in on burros from the railroad station to various points on the desert and mountain roads"

http://www.cannonballproject.com/content/ (click on the tab "Baker's Route" to read Edwin Baker's journal from 100 years ago describing each day......pretty wild trail tales)

Thanks Chris I'm enjoying that, great stories and history there.

A couple from the "preparations" page:

Starting with the way he got to San Diego..

"On January 7,1912, I groomed up my 1912 two-speed Indian and left Indianapolis and rode clear through to Miami, Fla., and from the Florida Keys I took passage on a streamer to Havana. I rode over the entire island of Cuba and from there I rode over the entire island of Jamaica. Then I took a steamer to Colon and crossed the Isthmus on my Indian, and then took a steamer up to San Diego, Cal."

In 1912? easy.

or that:

"we started to write letters to people along this route, inquiring about roads and bridges and where gasoline could be located. We consumed two months getting this data together. We found that from Rice on to Fort Apache it was impossible to get gasoline. These places were located from 40 to 120 miles from railroad stations, so we arranged for gasoline packed in on burros from the railroad station to various points on the desert and mountain roads"

ahh man this guy had it going on!

If you like this type of history, a good book is Across America by Motorcycle

I have a signed original but the $15 Amazon paperback is worth the price of admission. As Crawdaddy said, the roads were less than perfect and the book describes conditions most of us would pass on riding.

Very interested in the first day to Yuma. Wouldn't even require any time off of work. If I can get a noob ride or two in before then, plus a little learnin', this will be a great experience.

FYI - Don is looking for a few first day volunteers to station themselves at a couple of key intersections to make sure none of the riders blow by the turns (mainly Niland area). We're probably going to ride out there one day this month so he can show me specifically which areas are a concern. Thinking we'll need 4 or 5 volunteers. Please let me know if you're interested in volunteering to man a key turn. You DO NOT have to be on a bike you simply need to man a station until sweep comes through......then hop on your bike and ride to Yuma or drive home to San Diego. He may need some volunteer support on Day two as well. I think the route is fairly clear after that and paved only once they reach day 4.

Likewise, I'm not sure how many of you are on Facebook, but if you aren't already familiar, Don has a dedicated Facebook page for the Cannon Ball Centennial Ride. Link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Cannon-Ball-Project/219754228036581?ref=hl

He recently posted some scans of a flyer for the Yuma Prison Museum. This is where the city of Yuma is hosting us for a Yuma Welcome Reception and Ranch BBQ at the end Day 1 (May 3rd) of the ride. Don is arranging transportation back and forth to the hotel.

Note that admission to the event is included in your entry fee if you're doing the entire ride across the country. The majority of us will be in the "other" category that tags along for 1-3 days (I'm tentatively planning on riding days 1-3). Don has extra tickets that can be purchased in advance for $50 each (covers admission and the Ranch BBQ dinner). He needs a good head count on how many will be attending that first night, so if you are talking to someone about going, let them know that supplies of the tickets are limited.

Best to RSVP here/in advance and I'll coordinate with Don to get us all hooked up with tickets in advance (I *may* be able to hook up a few folks with free tickets in exchange for volunteering to man some key turns).

I'd like a final number of SDAR riders for the first 1-3 days within the next couple of weeks (ideally).

You know I am a sucker for volunteering...

I would like to turn this in to a ride to visit some family in Albuquerque... This would be a good jump start...

Let me know when you plan to scout out the locations.... I would like to know if the GS on Tourance tires would be OK...

Count me in to volunteer....and I plan to make a few day trip out of this....perhaps explore back country routes on way back tjru New Mexico and Arizona.

I will volunteer as well. Looking at who is volunteering, will you guys be riding your DS bikes or your big bikes? Bike camping or hotel rooms?

For me... I'm leaning toward big bike & hotel...

Reminder that this ride is coming up in a month.....

I think we're all set for volunteers between me, Randy, CID, Afry and Todd........meeting with Don again in a couple of weeks.......if we need any more volunteers I'll post it......

Here's a link to a recent story in the Orange County Register: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/emde-606230-ball-cannon.html

We're staying atthe Hilton Garden Inn in Yuma on Sat the 3rd (day 1), and the Country Inn & Suites in Mesa on the 4th (day 2). Once we hit Roosevelt Lake on Day 3 (last section of dirt) I'm probably going to peel off and head north towards Jerome/Prescott/Sedona/Grand Canyon before looping back over to Bullhead City/San Diego.......I need to be home late Wednesday night the 7th......

I'm probably going to peel off and head north towards Jerome/Prescott/Sedona/Grand Canyon

Few of my favorite areas......

I'm still probably heading out to Albuquerque the same week...

Rolling out this Sat. along with Trophyhunter, CID, Kug, Strega, KTM Rad, & (?).........We're all peeling off in different directions once we reach Roosevelt Lake on Day 3 (the last of the dirt)

Haven't put my "post Roosevelt" plan together yet but I think Trophy, CID and I will be looping north then west.......back in San Diego mid week

Put some Kenda Big Blocks on the VStrom

B68038E8-C226-432D-9B74-4F686AB7D5B9_zps

8A0ADF6E-60EE-4617-9DE4-F63A07A725BF_zps

Those should handle the dirt our group will hit. Looking forward to this! Rider meeting Friday, breakfast Saturday then outta here!

DR is almost packed with all of the travel stuff I've accumulated over the years in preparation for a multi-day trip - sans camping gear.

Thx for putting the "after" loop together.

CID please get good "action" shots of CD's new Sand Bike.

:-)

I did not know we had a group going other than the volunteers. Missed the meetings/ notification. This sucks as I did have the time off and really wanted to do this.