kkug

Bikepacking Show and Tell -Overnighter at Toro Peak

Ok its been a few years since I had my Bikepacking Seminar. It was a real success and a lot of us have been riding and camping like crazy. A lot of members really have perfected their " Kit " - mine is about the same.

So how about a show and tell ( for new members or some that want to get into this ) and then for whoever wants to camp out Sat nite we could ride to Toro peak ( Near Anza ) and camp out.

Yes the road is open and I got a campfire permit.

I will up date this first post with details .

Show and tell at my house in Escondido 9 AM 4-20-13 Off of Lincoln close to 78-I 15 close to Toyota .

1175 N Grape

Escondido CA 92026

Some may want to show off their latest camping gear. Every one is welcome.

I will fire up the BBQ for hamburgers -Hot dogs -lunch at 12-12:30 We need some type of head count to see how much food to get.I am going to pass the hat.

BYOB -their is a walk in cooler down the street.

Pack up and ride to Toro Peak around 1-2 Goof off in between

Set up camp -BS -take a ride to see the lites of Palm Springs

AM pack up head back home -stop some where for breakfast -lunch

In List

kkug -Ken

Crawdaddy -Chris

Covered in Dust ( hip hardware ) Chris

Throphyhunter - Ken -Mabey

Riggerdan - Dan

Affry -Arnie

Dsfox-Deb-show and tell only

Bagster - Stuck in Boseman -Out

FuzzyNugs

paulmbowers-Paul

Zancat -show and tell

JRnewman-mabey

Todd Whiteside

DanRider -Mabey

SocalHodaka -Kelly -show and tell

97XR400R--mabey

CL300CAPT-Lurking

Other Lurkers ???

Something like this -but without the river .

IMG_0030-L.jpg

Something like this -but without the deer

181-L.jpg

Something like this -but without Utah

09%20Utah%20ADV%20Ride%20191-L.jpg

In List

kkug -Ken

"IN"

Going camping ?- Taking the Credit Card ?

Going camping ?- Taking the Credit Card ?

I have a Coyote bag, Big Agnus bag/pad, cheapo tent......let's party :heh:

In! A few things to share and a few things to learn.

Just in time for a Big Bear trip the next weekend

"Peek, Show and Tell, Overnighter" Man, I don't know if my wife will let me go on that kind of event.

blink.gif

IN....thanks ken....I was thinking of going THERE, that weekend....would've been so funny if we met up on the mountain top.........lol.......talk soon, d

ps: for those who haven't been there, the summit is 8716 feet, so the night could be chilly........I haven't camped up there yet, arecamp fires allowed, as elsewhere in the San Bernardino Forest?

We got to check on the campfires--my guess no.Realy dry out.

I have entered the mediation phase of securing clearance for this. It seems there is an social event planned for that evening, which I could normally reschedule. However, it was one that was already bumped once due to motorcycling plans, so I may have to be even more clever and persuasive than is typical.

If I am back in town by then, I am in. Need to get some seat time with the new load out before the big ride this summer.

I have entered the mediation phase of securing clearance for this. It seems there is an social event planned for that evening, which I could normally reschedule. However, it was one that was already bumped once due to motorcycling plans, so I may have to be even more clever and persuasive than is typical.

Looks like I'm in.

Do they have a spa on Toro Peak?

I really want to ride Toro Peak. I also very much would like to get into camping with my bike, but I have no equipment. In for the show and tell most definitely. How much stuff would I have to buy to get myself sleeping on Toro that night?

I really want to ride Toro Peak. I also very much would like to get into camping with my bike, but I have no equipment. In for the show and tell most definitely. How much stuff would I have to buy to get myself sleeping on Toro that night?

This would depend on how comfortable you want to be. Minimum of a tent, sleeping bag and pad. Might not even need a tent if you want to sleep under the stars. You also need to be able to carry stuff on your bike, lots of different options for this. You should be able to cook food on someone else's stove but you need to think about what food you want to eat and you need to carry water.

CiD

1365555029[/url]' post='149149']

Here is my list but you can use my Jetboil if you bring a meal in a bag (Walmart)

[ ] Adventure pass[ ] Spare bike key[ ] Phone/charger[ ] Comms[ ] GPS[ ] Extra batteries[ ] First aid kit[ ] Soft rag for visor[ ] Sunglasses[ ] Reading glasses[ ] Map[ ] Compass[ ] Para cord[ ] Tools[ ] F & R tubes[ ] Body wipes[ ] Toiletries[ ] Sunscreen[ ] Deet[ ] Pillow[ ] Tent[ ] Ground cloth[ ] Air mattress[ ] Sleeping bag[ ] Camp chair[ ] Knife[ ] LED Headlight[ ] LED camp light[ ] Lighter[ ] Whiskey[ ] Napkins[ ] Jetboil[ ] Spork 9"[ ] Meal bag koozie[ ] 2 Aluminum water bottles[ ] 1 Granola bar[ ] 1 Meal in bag[ ] 1 can V8[ ] 1 Hard boiled egg[ ] Down jacket[ ] Hat

If you're looking for bare-bones camping and just need a place to sleep, I have two extra 3 piece military sleeping sets and you're welcome to borrow one. They include a bivy to stay dry. Found them on the top of a dumpster, but they look clean. :heh: One set is already in a backpack to go as it didn't have the stuff sack.

I got a spare tent you can use. In the old days I would just strap a duffle or two on the back of the bike. You can do that for this trip because it is close to home.

I may be out for the overnight....:angry2:/>

soooo much going on at work, and stack of projects at home , but I still plan to attend the show and tell at least in the morning...

Damn, I was all excited to get on board with this, then I realized I'm on call (again) all weekend...man I can't wait to retire (3 years, 6 months)...BRAAAAAAAAAPPP

I'd like to attend the show & tell. I have a tent and some camping gear, but no bags rack, etc.. It'd be cool to see how it's being done.

Also have plans for that night, friends coming into town to visit. Morning works though.

Zancat