Spent the last 2 weeks RIDING....GOOD TIMES, and in some cases, the most challenging riding of my life

First Flying Monkey Advneture in Utah...Wed. July 18 til Sunday July 22......see other write up for that one...

Then Headed to Taylor Park Colorado....to ride another week.....when all the dust settled of many, many possible participants who came and went on the ride list... it ended up being capncham, STEVE..(and his wife, daughter, mother in law and dog).....my good friend maniac, IAN and myself.......You guys are the BEST.....THANKS for a great trip.....

I have to answer the question I get tired of getting all the time :angry: ....."NO"......I don't date Ian!!!....Never have, never will...we are, and always have been and always will be great, totally plutonic friends....the dude is TOTALLY like my little brother....and a great little brother he is......just cuz you ride with someone alot, doesn't mean you date them...if so strega and crawdaddy would be engaged by now...:lol:......you would all be so lucky to have such a great friend, (as many of you know, and DO share a friendship with him...) and Steve and the family were alot of fun to hang out with.....

TAYLOR PARK COLORADO...is where they welcome dirt bikes, 4x4's, quads, whatever.....no bad feeelings......the place is made for us!!!! it's incredible.....even the forest rangers,....the forest is LOADED with hundreds of miles of riding.....ranging from roads, easy, medium, hard, rocky......track and a half, the same....and single track that can only be termed EXTREME......which I don't generally choose to ride, but ended up doing some of.....never so scared riding in all my life...but man.....we all had a GREAT week......had the usual thunderstorms daily, cool temps, but overall had better than expected weather the whole week......the scenery and riding can't be beat there.....at least no where I've been yet...

Huge thanks to my buddies steve and Ian.....it was a vacation to remember.......the pics will say it all.....heres a few, more to come.....

P1000640.jpg

P1000710.jpg

P1000451.jpg

P1000480.jpg

P1000477.jpg

P1000495.jpg

P1000507.jpg

P1000515.jpg

P1000535.jpg

P1000670.jpg

So did C-diddy and Roger set a date yet? I'll try and make the wedding.

Beautiful country side there. I'm green with envy.

So did C-diddy and Roger set a date yet? I'll try and make the wedding.

Beautiful country side there. I'm green with envy.

C-daddy and Roger broke up didn't you hear ???? Rumor has it Roger likes someone who rides a big mans bike and he says C-daddy is getting to old. :torch:

Great pics so far Deb. Colo certainly is a beautiful place...............

I will finalize my tracks and post them on Dual sport maps....and ADV.....along with route descriptions, etc......A riding trip here will not disappoint any dual sport rider......it is a long drive, nearing 2 10 hour days or more, but Colorado is like mammoth on steroids.... :coolio: and I love mammoth riding..(.sad to miss that this year, but the trips were just too close together).....We camped at Lakeview campground near taylor reservoir...huge sites, spread out, quiet, forest with deer passing by ......not a bad spot in the whole campground....only complaint is on the upper loop where we spent the first 3 nights they REEEAAAALLLY NEED TO EMPTY THOSE VAULT BATHROOMS.... :bad: the lower loop was much nicer in that regard.......

MONDAY: towns and passes

little old mining towns, waaaay out in the mountains. (weird to find towns out there).......High passes.....almost 13,000 feet.....first taste of why hey call these the ROCKY mountains....some of these passes are challenging to get to......

Tincup townsite, Tincup pass, down to St. Elmo.....up to Hancock pass.....saw my first Marmot......over to the alpine tunnel....caught in a hail storm, hiding INSIDE a pine tree for an hour.....down to Pitkin, where the only cafe has only 1 item that is NOT frozen....and thats canned beans for burritos.......but heck, we were hungry......then up and over cumberland pass and back to camp....a Great Intro!!

P1000444.jpg

P1000450.jpg

P1000453.jpg

st. elmo

P1000460.jpg

approaching hancock pass

P1000474.jpg

P1000478.jpg

alpine tunnel road and hiding from hail and lightning in the trees, apparently this is what you DO in Colorado!!!

P1000482.jpg

P1000483.jpg

P1000484.jpg

P1000491.jpg

P1000489.jpg

P1000490.jpg

PITKIN CAFE...AHHHHH back in the sunshine....

P1000492.jpg

CUMBERLAND PASS IS BEAUTIFUL...WE TOOK SOME FUN RIDGE ROADS off the main road...

P1000506.jpg

P1000508.jpg

P1000511.jpg

P1000510.jpg

TAYLOR RES FROM THE CAMPGROUND.....AMAZING BACKDROP.....

P1000515.jpg

Nice pic's, spot mishap was a bit scary. To bad about those guy's breaking up, I hear Chick-fil-a is available for for certain alternative events.

Nice pics and write up Deb. You get to have all the fun. -And you should not have to explain yourself It is NOBODYS business what you do in your private life. Get out and ride. This is not a dating site. My 2 cents

It is NOBODYS business what you do in your private life.

Oh, let's not get carried away. ph34r.gif

Deb- (if it's not too personal) what happened to your 525? Was it ever diagnosed?

It is NOBODYS business what you do in your private life.

Oh, let's not get carried away. ph34r.gif

Deb- (if it's not too personal) what happened to your 525? Was it ever diagnosed?

Well, seeing my #1 450 IS my first love.....guess that COULD be personal.. :wub::heh: ...it's at All American...seeing I called in a rush favor to get #2 fixed up for Utah/Colorado...I told them to take their time......probably no riding for me til coon cabin on labor day......I'll let you know......HOPEFULLY ....not TOOOO EXPENSIVE....fingers crossed....

I looked at some bikes for my brother in tuscon- he's interested in buying a dual sport, maybe soon.....so I looked while I was up there....the 350 xcw is sweet, as is the 250.......he would love that one.....electric start, lights,fuel injection etc.....AND weighs in under 230 lbs......how great that bike would be for my brother......I'm looking out for him... :D

TUESDAY

we wanted to head toward crested butte.....we decided on the northern route over the 739.....I probably should have looked at the ratings....as some sections were labeled "extreme"......it had some challenges.....very rocky, chunky, steep climbs at times, but then some awesome smooth sections over the ridges.....all the scenery goes from good to great to amazing.....the guys took a spur UP the American Flag Mountain...I took a rest and chose not to do that one....another steep rocky climb.......although I run and hike several times every week....the high altitudes REALLY got to me when the trails were tough...i was short of breath, bordering scary.........we camped at 9600 and rode UP from there....nearing 13000 often....a different world up there...

Tuesday was the day of the infamous SPOT fiasco...... I think it was all those rocks we climbed...

More pics..

P1000518.jpg

P1000519.jpg

P1000526.jpg

if you look close you can see the guys blazing up American Flag Mountain....

P1000531.jpg

P1000532.jpg

P1000539.jpg

P1000544.jpg

P1000549.jpg

IAN GOT A FLAT...BUT picked a great shady spot by a stream, so it wasn't so bad

P1000556.jpg

P1000566.jpg

:king:

Lot's of familiar terrain in the photos.....love that area! Thanks for posting!

Very Very Nice ! Great riding, great pix. We did some of that on the Trans America Trail Ride....Hancock Pass was a slight challenge on the 950 & 1200GS, but fun !

Great to see you getting out there and riding this stuff.

This was an awesome trip. Thanks Deb and Steve for making Colorado so much fun. And to everyone who attended the Utah ride for the fun there.

I have always ridden big bikes in Colorado so this my my first time being able to take hard routes and single track. Amazing stuff! I have over 300 pictures I need to download and edit. Stupid thing called work amd life getting in the way. I will have some pics up soon I hope.

Would like to know what you used for map resources to plan this ride?

Great pics.

Thx!

Great pics.

Thx!

so far pics from 2 of the 5 days....hope to finish others this weekend.

On the planning.........I love maps and make maps for a living as a land surveyor...for upcoming trips, learning about an area and planning weeks or months ahead is part of the fun of a trip.....I usually:

1 GET MAPS

obtain all the maps I can, showing the best detail possible of existing dirt roads and trails for an area I'm visiting:

(order them online, from national forests online or obtain from local outdoor stores, Nat. Geographic has some good ones, this time I ordered the taylor park ATV guide with good trail detail and difficulty ratings....it was useful)

2. TRAVEL MANAGEMENT PLAN

print and study the Travel Management maps for each national forest that are all available on line...these show the legally opened roads......and where NOT to plan a ride from the start, because the roads are closed...a word of caution though...sometimes even when the roads show as open, there are gates with locks, etc....no guarantees, uturns are part of adventure riding..

3. ADVICE

seek advice from those who have visited/riden areas for "don't miss" trails...., or local riders, via ADV etc.....best resource of all....also use websites, posts, forums, email , personal conversations, etc....I try to ask the conditions and difficulty of trails too, so there's less surprises..

4. GPS

get tracks from others, and/or make gps tracks of major routes in an area I'm interested in riding....to have at least a starting network with gps.....

I always carry a paper map and have gps tracks.....never rely solely on the gps.....knowing where you are and where you are going is important..,

Thats what I do...it seems to work pretty well, always going to have some dead ends, and adventures finding your way...

and there always are some SURPRISES....sometimes you end up on some scary single track you have NOOOO interest in riding :blink: .....then again, most of you would LOVE those......it's all good and part of the adventure...

Had a great time as always, looking forward to next year. Maybe I will have to get a 2 smoker for the single track though it was a little tight on the 530.

Oh the memories! Wish we weren't working so we could have joined you. Nice to see some different areas of Taylor Park. We rode through from Leadville to Crested Butte with not really any time to explore. It was 136 miles. I am sooo glad you got to experience Colorado, it is so worth the drive. My other favorite place is Beaver< Utah. Yes, I know everyone likes Beaver. Anyway, I loved your pictures. We'll have to join you on the next trip up there.

Sometimes spending a few days at the mid-elevations helps with the elevation change. So a good trip is Beaver UT for a few days, then head to CO for the higher elevations.

And why can't men believe that women can just be friends? Of course you two are friends! Silly, silly rabbits!

Beautiful pictures.........

would love to put a trip like that on the radar

Great pics.

Thx!

Wallycycle,

Contact a National Forest office in the area before or when you arrive. Buy all the maps. RIDE ALL OF THEM. Translate the "4 x 4 road" as rough, rocky roads that a beginner can't do. A beginner really can't ride them. It will rain every afternoon in summer. Perfect for soil traction all summer long. Enjoy.

Deb,

Beautiful photos!

My wife and I rode the #759 on a northern route through Tayor Park to Crested Butte. Similiar photo terrain. Loved it. I tried to find the 739 to follow your route, but couldn't find it. We are following your route as best we can on the maps we have. Such a beautiful place.

Stop by "Crystal and Marble" sometime for a very small town experience. You can access these small "towns" via the northwest route from Crested Butte through Lost Lake route 12, Kebler Pass, Paonia Reservoir, route 133 over McClure Pass to Marble and Crystal. Another route direction from Taylor Park is to go north over Taylor Park north ridge and you will be in Aspen.

There are large distances between gas stops in much of the areas discussed. Plan for that. 75 to 130 mile routes are nice for relaxed days with photos and gas stops on dirt bikes.

!!! Every direction you go will be spectacular, so "no worries" it will all be filled with breath taking beauty !!! Just point the bike and go.

DAY 3: Guys went to tear up some black diamond single track....or red diamond as they label it at taylor....I chose to pass on that....so I did some solo riding on some well used roads....don't ride alone often, but didn't do anything crazy, so it was all good..hung out with the girls at the reservoir for a little while, then headed out..

P1000571.jpg

P1000577.jpg

P1000576.jpg

P1000586.jpg

Had a "table" with a view for lunch...oh, never mind - it was a rock!...but what a view....water everywhere in colorado..

P1000593.jpg

P1000598.jpg

P1000607.jpg

P1000610.jpg

Did find a nice little single track down in the valley, that was fun...

P1000613.jpg

P1000614.jpg

A Great Day....then we enjoyed our new camp spot, down on the north loop with a view of the lake...not bad!!!!

P1000617.jpg

P1000623.jpg

P1000624.jpg

P1000627.jpg

DAY 4:

Cruise to cottonwood pass, took the "back" way...more fun..... then up the valley to texas lakes....beautiful...well, it's ALLL pretty beautiful...

P1000629.jpg

P1000631.jpg

P1000633.jpg

P1000639.jpg

TEXAS LAKES

P1000648.jpg

P1000649.jpg

P1000650.jpg

nice sunset at camp: (these are NOT enhanced at all....natural colors and effects)

P1000655.jpg

P1000657.jpg

P1000670.jpg

P1000666.jpg

Last Day......of course it ended up being the Hardest Riding of the trip, well for me , probably the hardest riding ever!!!.....but it was great....COLORADO rocks.....and is rocky!!! They don't call them the Rocky Mountains for NOTHING!!! Highly recommend Taylor Park area...you won't be disappointed...

P1000675.jpg

P1000681.jpg

P1000685.jpg

P1000687.jpg

P1000694.jpg

P1000696.jpg

As usual, The pics REAAALLLY don't show how steep and long these seemingly endless climbs were, mixed between chunky rocks...and just when you think you can take a breather, the trail gets narrower and steeper....Oh, never mind....you really can't breath at ALL in colorado..at least I couldn't...

....and yes, they plant cinder blocks, just so you could HOPEFULLY make the climbs.....I think they just don't want to have to come rescue you up there...

P1000697.jpg

THE NARROWEST TRAIL YOU WILL EVER WANT TO STICK TO.....!!! :blink:

P1000698.jpg

P1000703.jpg

then after all that, we fought several miles of very rocky, bumpy descents.....it was a workout....

THANKS AGAIN TO MY GREAT RIDING AND CAMPING FRIENDS....IT was an amazing trip....

P1000710.jpg

P1000726.jpg