CVRick

chain cleaning

Guest Crusty

A good friend, who's father was a factory mechanic back in the day, sprays WD40 on his chain.

Then wipes it clean, then applies chain lube. I watch him do this at the track all the time.

I pressure wash my bikes, after a ride, blow dry, then apply chain lube.

Then re lube before I ride.

Craig.

Call me old-fashioned, but I clean in kerosene, dry then add lube

Never add lube before a ride, as it attracts dirt

Guest Crusty

Call me old-fashioned, but I clean in kerosene, dry then add lube

Never add lube before a ride, as it attracts dirt

I use chain wax.

I re lube on long rides, and re lube every 1/2 hour at the track.

I NEVER use WD 40...it is a Penetrant more than a lube...it can penetrate the O-Rings and dissolve the grease inside. The instructions on the chain box usually tell you what they recommend, or research that particular chain maintenance on the internet.

I use 90 Weight Gear Oil...works great, doesn't attract much dirt, just gotta lube it every couple rides.

Here are a couple links.....

Link 1

Dirt Rider Chain Maintenance Link 2 - they say don't use WD-40

Link 3 - Motorcylist Magazine Article on chains

When I was a kid, my parents used 90wa gear oil on chains. I still do. The brst part is that in an emergency you can coat your hand and use ot on the air filter.

I NEVER use WD 40...it is a Penetrant more than a lube...it can penetrate the O-Rings and dissolve the grease inside. The instructions on the chain box usually tell you what they recommend, or research that particular chain maintenance on the internet.

I use 90 Weight Gear Oil...works great, doesn't attract much dirt, just gotta lube it every couple rides.

Link 1

+1 on the WD40 i ride mountain bikes and ive been told multiple times that WD40 is the worst for the chain. id assume its the same for a motorcycle chain.

Guest Crusty

Link 1

Ooops Sorry I missed the" O ring" chain. I use lighter moto chains also less drag.

I use WD.....

Read about it.... http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/WD40

you know that the name WD-40 stands for Water Displacement on the 40th try?

It was invented in San Diego by an uncle of a buddy of mine.

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that causes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt
The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus get into crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.

These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, extricating stuck screws and bolts, and preventing rust are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture.

Call me New Age, but my X-Ring chain gets Zero attention. I.E. dry on the outside.

Like my hand grips, it works best without a collection of sand and dirt. Chains, in my

opinion, wear from the inside, not the outside.

http://www.dirttricks.com/Chain-Wear.htm

Just replaced my RK EXW at 8k, and yes it stretched, but the sprockets did not really need to be replaced. Although they were.

The box refers to Street Maintenance with no mention off dirt applications. It does warn off using aerosol lubes because of the carrying agents.

torch.gif

We had some reps from RK chains come to a Red Hot Riders meeting back in the 90's as guest speakers......when asked what they used to lubricate their chains the reply was something along the lines of, "WD40.....the rest is just snake oil".

I spray the bike down then blast it with WD40.....I don't bother with all of the other lubes, polishes, waxes, etc....

I use a good quality chain lube that dries and won't fling. I also take a razor blade and keep the rear sprocket cleaned of any dirt or lube buildup. Excess dirt on the chain is removed with one of those grunge brushes that are sold at most MC accessory shops.

Use this stuff and you won't have to clean your chain, there is no build up, no fling off. Super cheap, smells good too.

Google it, lots of bike forms talk about the stuff.

DuPontMultiUseLubricantwithTeflonFluoropolymer2011LG.gif

wow - this is more fun than an oil thread!

WD40 here only. clean is my goal, and no sticky film to pick up dirt or get flung where its not wanted. dirt accumulated in paste form will destroy the chain and sprockets. my street chains last 12-14K miles and I ran a rear sprocket in serviceable condition up to 31K miles once.

I have never cleaned my chain. I do spray it down with an Oring friendly chain lube I found at HD. I usually spray it down the day before I ride.

I have ordered a new XRing and I think I will try that DuPont stuff this time.

As you can clearly tell from this list of posts, there are many different opinions and methods. Keep the chain and sprockets cleaned and lubed how ever you choose to do so. Any o-ring,x-ring,z-ring chains need something to keep the ring pliable otherwise the rings dry and fall off loosing all the lube held inside. I like crusty and mike use wd on my non- ringed chains and the teflon wax above in sneakers post on every ringed chain and clean with a brush and soapy water every bike wash. Dry the chain immediately and lube. I also lube before every ride as stated above. Good luck

Wash bike, dry bike, apply used motor oil to chain, wipe off excess. Ride, rinse, repeat.

Call me New Age, but my X-Ring chain gets Zero attention. I.E. dry on the outside.

Like my hand grips, it works best without a collection of sand and dirt. Chains, in my

opinion, wear from the inside, not the outside.

http://www.dirttricks.com/Chain-Wear.htm

Just replaced my RK EXW at 8k, and yes it stretched, but the sprockets did not really need to be replaced. Although they were.

The box refers to Street Maintenance with no mention off dirt applications. It does warn off using aerosol lubes because of the carrying agents.

torch.gif

The X Ring chain is sealed and lubed at the factory, when you add sticky stuff you are fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

i use the dupont multi use stuff from lowes, it works great

Use this stuff and you won't have to clean your chain, there is no build up, no fling off. Super cheap, smells good too.

Google it, lots of bike forms talk about the stuff.

DuPontMultiUseLubricantwithTeflonFluoropolymer2011LG.gif

There's a nearly empty can in my toolbox. Soon to be a full can next to it.

I love these threads, soooo fun. I think I'll start a tire/oil/bearing grease thread just for kicks.

I love these threads, soooo fun. I think I'll start a tire/oil/bearing grease thread just for kicks.

What's bearing grease? :unsure:

What's bearing grease? :unsure:

Never mind what bearing grease is....What's tire/oil/bearing grease???? Sounds dangerous to me! :wacko:

Lots of opinions.I am glad I asked.I just replaced chain and both sprockets on my xr 400.