SCHWINN

Memories- Where did everything go.

Born in Grossmont Hospital and my wife was born at Mercy.

Does anyone remember these things in El Cajon areas?

Convair Shooting Range - My Boy Scout Troop 369 shot there

Gunther Pool - Learned to swim there

Buck Knives - Lots of knives

Callen Campers

Went to Emerald Junior High with:

Tommy Jackman of Jackman Wheels

Rory Chenoweth of Dunebuggies

Steve Crower of Crower Cams and raced Go-Carts with him at the KDKA Race Track in Jamul

and Mimi will remember these 2: Dehesa and 4 Corners MX Tracks

My Dad worked at 1 company his whole life till he retired from Chem Tronics in El Cajon

And last " Viva Broncos " Off Road Racing Broncos out of Lakeside

This thing brings tears to my eyes.

Bronco1969.jpg

and Mimi will remember these 2: Dehesa and 4 Corners MX Tracks

And don't forget Santee sand pits and The Mesa in Encinitas. B)

I went to elementry school next to Chem tronics in the 80's. It was a big deal for my mom to let us ride our bikes to Bike Shop III on second st. I lived off Greenfield. I worked at a tire shop on saturdays to earn 20.00 just to spend it all at Cajon Speedway sat night. If I had any left over it was spent at the swap meet at the eagle drive in.

Born in Bonsall, went to HS at Clairemont, used to ride a Kawasaki F11 through the Clairemont alleys to school. Had some fun...er.....law enforcement shenanigans during some of those rides. Used to ride Rose Canyon out to Miramar NAS and the old Miramar riding areas.

Big Oly rocks! Always will!

And all the tracks laid out on Black Mountian in PQ, also rode the Flats off Convoy in Kearny Mesa

when I lived in Orange County we used to make the trip down to San Diego for Miramar and Palm Ave dirtbiking...

I'm not a San Diego native, so won't have some of the memories ya'll have, but when I go back to Orange County!!!!! I used to actually walk through Orange Groves on the way to school... ride an MR50 under the NEW freeway (57 or 22... I forget) to Town and Country Park and taunt the cops... their cruisers didn't make it under the tressles or through the drainages. I was always in trouble when I was in 3rd grade :ph34r:

At work... I remember when: parking was free... admission was less than $20... the main gate had 4 turnstiles... even during summer, we closed at dusk

We are in planning meetings all week, and came to the conclusion, only a few buildings are left since 83 (my first year)... whole scale change! and MOST of that stuff is getting demo'd within the next two years

I just sound old now

I remember the lone school house where Parkway Plaza now sits. Dairies in Lakeside, Santee. Omar's meat packer butcher shop I-8 at Main. Pinicle Peak at Magnolia and Bradley where they raised cattle behind the resturant. Don't remember if it was Gunther or Gillespie pool off of Cuyamaca by Gillespie Field. I learned to swim there too. Remember when they started building the Jail that is now waisted space.

Learned to shoot trap/skeet and got my hunters safety license at convair gun range by Gillespie.

Going to the desert or river on old hwy 80 from Descanso to Boulevard before I-8 opened.

Guess we are starting to show our age, or at least I am. :blink:

The one thing I miss, 1 gal of gas and a pack of smokes for a buck, well not the smokes just the gas price.

I have none of these memories. I transfered here in 1988 from Marine Barracks Adak, Alaska. Since 1988 in Orange County has changed tons.

And last " Viva Broncos " Off Road Racing Broncos out of Lakeside.

This thing brings tears to my eyes.

Bronco1969.jpg

NOW THAT'S A BADASS RIG!!! :torch:

I grew up in L.A. so i missed all of that good stuff. But I do remember when you could have Keg Parties on the beach down here. Those were some awesome parties! But everyone got too drunk and forgot to clean up, forgot to not fight, forgot to not wreck peoples property, etc. A few bad apples wrecked the whole batch. :dead:

I lived (and still do) in North County, so most of my memories of places that are gone are up here.

I remember The Pits in Olivenhain, Golfball Hill in Leucadia, Riding all over the Questhaven/Harmony Grove area, a track called "The P" that was behind Palomar College. Shermans Egg Ranch market in San Marcos, Rube Nelsons Market in Escondido, Lake Val Sereno long before the lake blew out in a big winter storm and drained away forever. J&L Motors was the local motorcycle shop where I spent any time that I could as a teenager, looking at all the new models of Honda SLs and Kawasakis. Cecils Cycle Center was the place for hard core offroad racers. Cecil carried everything motocross with lines like CZ, Husqvarna and DKW. You could actually drive a car down the part of Pamo road that is now only accessible on foot as part of a nature preserve. The Old Julian Highway was the ONLY highway to Julian and nobody really knew about "Apple Days". You could ride your trail bike all over the Laguna mountains, but I didn't think of doing it because there were so many places right in north county. ^_^

... went to HS at Clairemont,

What year did you graduate? I graduated from CHS in '76. I rode my bicycle in the allies - didn't have a motor on it...

... went to HS at Clairemont,

What year did you graduate? I graduated from CHS in '76. I rode my bicycle in the allies - didn't have a motor on it...

1980, we missed each other by THAT much. I used to leave the bike parked in the metal shop, Mr. Yapp had no issues with it, lol.

Don't get me started. I grew up in Del Mar where there was no life east of I-5 except the high school and a couple of horse ranches. Does anyone remember when El Camino Real was one lane in either direction?

Sundance Trucks? The Dogger, The Granite Pits in Lakeside, Chapparal Continuation school and Tawny Kitaen. But not all was good back then (mullets)- My neighborhood in San Carlos during elementary school was full of drugs and Brenda Spencer, Danny Alstadt http://www.geneticdisorder.net/13.OnlineUpdates/Alstadt.htm

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2007/oct/18/back-when/

Marshall Scotty's

ridin 3 wheelers in the street drainage system in Lemon Grove

Spelunking caves in Alpine....felt like we were down miles...never made it to China

off roading in Proctor Valley

Aquarius

Fedmart (where the really big woman got caught stealing a TV under her moo moo dress)

Gemco membership

ice block races

Jr high schools period....everything is middle school now

Ice cream parlors

Riding from the beach, all the way to el cajon.

fishing the ponds behind MONTGOMERY HIGH school

Fun farm go karts.

Pig farms lots of em in DEL SOL east of I.B.

Dairy farms in Mission valley

Rocket roller rink in I.B.

sweetwater roller rink

La Jolla Indian Reservation camping for 2 months at age 14 with my best friend, him and i no one else. (kids try that today)

1st bike SUZUKI TRAILHOPPER

Jumping on the back of the ice truck bumper.

Jumping on the train on palm Ave and getting off in tuson AZ, age 12 , boy did we get in hot water for that one.

sneaking into the south bay drive in, only to sit in the front row by the playground.

Digging butter mouth clams int he I.B. sloughs and selling them from my red wagon 2 for .5cents. I was 8 or 9 years old.

Pop a wheelie in front of a girl on my bike ( now i fall off my KLR, thanks for not laughing deb)

Pin-nik in chicken

Chinaland in point loma

I got a list

But not all was good back then (mullets)- My neighborhood in San Carlos during elementary school was full of drugs

Agreed. I remember going to the bars in TJ. No one carded and no one cared; I was 15 years old. I bet all you parents are glad your kids can't do that anymore.

My wife and I were both born at Sharp (The Big Stork) the same year.

Both raised in East County.

I remember so many of the things already mentioned so far.....

San Diego definatly is not that little college town we grew up in.

Remember?

Farrell's Ice Cream

Original Oscars

Campus and Alvarado Drive Ins

Chasing Foul Balls outside Westagte Park (or the noise they made on the tin roof)

Speedway 117

Watching the Graceful, Quick and Smart #17 at Balboa Stadium

Mr G's (El Cajon)

El Cajon Honda (442 0941 One of the few numbers still engraved into my little brain today)

Atwater, Belmont and other phone mumber prefixes

Telling Mom "We are going riding" (12 Year Olds on bikes) Mom saying "Be back before Dark" and heading to the Beach or Pine Valley from El Cajon

Winchell's Donuts

Riding Sycamore Canyon

Kinny Shoe Stores

Woolworth's

Newberry's

Chuck Holenda Harley

The Gulls

The Rockets

Highway 395

Shakey's Pizza (Fletcher Hills)

The El Cortez as the Tallest Building in SD

Helix Theatre

Powder Hill in Mission Gorge

The Topless Dancer on top of the Box Office

S

Oh and I worked a bit for Jimmy in the late Seventies

1177003689_6jGYh-L.jpg

Olympia was a great sponsor back in the day.

I remember Newberry's and a lot of those other things, and I remember when the Box Office was called The Patriot and the figure was dressed like Paul Revere or something along those lines. :lol:

And whatever happened to Doodleburgers? :huh::upsidedown:

Born at Mercy and lived here pretty much all of my life. Lots of memories in these ramblings.

Balboa Gemco "Grand Opening"

hitchhiking everywhere duing summer time - 4th grade and up.

summers spent at black's body surfing

forever trying to someone to drive us to 'the punchbowl"

Frontier and Campus Drive Ins

The grand opening of the 805 - mass of bike riders crossing the bridge?

The BBQ Pit (There's one left in Fletcher Hills)

Palisades Gardens (Roller Skating in North Park)

"Tanya is alive and well and living in OB"

Iconic San Diego High

PSA 182 :(

and on and on

Remember?

Winchell's Donuts

I worked in El Cajon at Winchell's at Main and Magnolia next to I-Hop while in high-school. Strange people wandered around down there. Also I worked at the winchells on Broadway at Mollison next to Swensens Ice Cream. That building is now a Starbucks and a Starbucks now stands on the corner at Main and Magnolia. In place of those Cheezy Donut Shops we now have Starbucks.