Bagstr

Camping With Bears on the CDT

- Edited 8-26-10 -

Grand Trip with a Couple of Gents Steve and Todd are on the verge of finishing in Roosevelt, Montana ( Canadian Border north of Kalispell ) After seven days on the road camping, I stepped away in Butte, having the opportunity to be picked up by my wife and daughter on their way to Viola from Pueblo. The two Studs toughed it out waiting for repair parts and took flight Monday northward. The three of us experienced Big fun and laughs along the way. Nothing like Frost on the seats in the morning, to cheer the soul. Laughs, views, bathing in the river, sleeping with Grizzly Bears and the hard work of packing and unpacking. I am in Idaho with Web access only when in town. Which means you may hear from the Men upon their finish before me. P.S. Man that shower was swell. No hotels along the way!

980520671_N6yEb-L.jpg

The cliche is, Good Times

980529785_L23xQ-L.jpg

Railroad right of way east of Island Park, Idaho.

980528277_oAM7Q-L.jpg

Warm River, Idaho.

980531165_uSZHm-L.jpg

West of Dell, Montana. More laughs.

982216096_8ebso-L.jpg

Old Bannack Rd., west of Dell, Montana.

980518275_DnFPf-L.jpg

N.E. of Salida, Colorado

980521406_MBuoU-L.jpg

Great Divide Basin, Wyoming

980523596_VszFY-L.jpg

Discussing life's mysteries, @ Bear Camp, Union Pass Wyoming

980523455_tnWgb-L.jpg

980527511_ssuJP-L.jpg

Shared our camp with Franziska and Mathias, brother and sister visiting from Switzerland. They had been up at 0300hrs and climbed the middle Teton

that day. Great kids with wonderful stories. She is studying to be an MD and he works for Hamilton Robotic Engineering back home.

982216179_VMWoT-L.jpg

Grand Valley with very little evidence of human existence for 50 -60 miles. Montana

980516002_9U8Gb-L.jpg

Steamboat Lake, Colorado. Steve attempting to warm up before sunrise.

980518130_47Xxx-L.jpg

Routt National Forest, Colorado.

980526161_nFT8P-L.jpg

Mt. Moran, Teton NP

982217365_3xwmj-L.jpg

Tracts were from Big Dog, on AdventureRider. His link is at the top of the Tracts Page, He reworked the Mountain Bike Assoc. Continental Divide Trail.

Radios where a large help, reducing slowdowns.

nice baggy...looked like a really great ride....question is....how did you guys do a REAL adventure on european bikes....and not on wr250r's?

how did you get thru a 1200+ mile ride without 2 oil changes and a valve adjustment? :D

those are NOT "go anywhere" bikes so that ride is not possible....i reject your reality and substitute my own.... :lol:

The two Studs toughed it out waiting for repair parts

nice baggy...looked like a really great ride....question is....how did you guys do a REAL adventure on european bikes....and not on wr250r's?

how did you get thru a 1200+ mile ride without 2 oil changes and a valve adjustment? :D

those are NOT "go anywhere" bikes so that ride is not possible....i reject your reality and substitute my own.... :lol:

read my friend

The part was a rear sprocket, so no big deal. The bikes performed flawlessly.

690 = zero oil changes and rock solid performance. The MT43 rear is good for about 1500 miles of travel.

Wow....now THAT'S an Adventure!...Very nice...look forward to more reports and pics....enjoy the rest of your vacation...

Did any of you had the tracking feature on your spots? I would be interested in seeing your gps tracks when you get back. I miss my old stomping grounds, especially this time of year. And what kind of city slickers would have a fire that big when it is windy :lol: Ken

980531165_uSZHm-L.jpg

Now that is an awesome ride. Camping along the trail and everything. Wow. Love the photos.

One of those looks just like my property in Lewistown MT. Some day I will go back and ride!

Grand Trip with a Couple of Gents

Good stuff Bags!!!......thanks for sharing.....

Kelly - Bite me! :lol:

These are the guys who put the "Adventure" in San Diego Adventure Riders! ;)

That looks awsome. Some day I hope to do a trip like that. Thanks for the motivation.

Beautiful stuff sir. My dream ride type for sure. I will get there someday

The guys made it to the border this afternoon.

Congratulations Todd and Steve!

Dave,

Looks and sounds like an awesome trip. Great job with the camera, I hope you have a lot more photos to post.

Looks like you had a Bear Box ---Yeks !! How many did you see ?

You mean you sleep, like, on the ground? How do you get room service?

Paul, Paul, Paul, you dont understand …they are room service (for the bears). Yogi says that there is nothing like a midnight snack. :unsure:

The Fish Creek area on the south side of Union Pass, which is north of Pinedale, was supposedly swarming with grizzlies. We saw none and slept without disturbance.

An old timer we borrowed a grill from asked, " Are you armed at all". The Ranger said, " Use the Bear Spray". We hung our food and smelly stuff at 12ft 50 yards from camp. Views were that the grizzlies did wander through camps looking for stuff to eat. Egad!

Yes, I use a bear canister. On previous backpacks, hanging bags proved a hassle. This time, packing the canister was the only hassle.

Looks like you had a Bear Box ---Yeks !! How many did you see ?

We used Big Agnes sleeping pads, man they are the best! Slept comfy.

Room service? That would be hung in the tree, 50 yards away.

Updated a few details. The guys are driving home as I type and will post up on their return.

That is an awesome ride and can't wait to see and read more smile.gif. A friend of mine is getting a DRZ just for that kind of adventure. He and I would like to do that kind of riding/camping. Hopefully, we can meet sometime and talk shop. I've done backpacking in the Sierra's several times and that looks like so much more fun. You get to see much more country and can really get away. Thanks so much for sharing (thumbs up!!!).