bikeslut

whats your line of work?

tlkings post about being busy til Christmas, got me wondering... What does he do? He's too big to be an elf, and I can't imagine him spraying perfume on women in Macy's...

Hondapilot- duh; pilot

fake name- real photographer

dirt dame- deliveries ( for now)

ozzy- surveyor

sdlineman- defensive end ( not really)

So- what do ya'll do, and how did you choose that line of work? How about your riding history while you're at it...

Or you can all ignore this thread, and focus on the Jerry Springer Show

To start off with some history; I was born in a house that I built with my own hands....then later on after I was a regular "horsie nut" girl, I met a guy in high school who had a Kawasaki Trail Boss and he used to take me all over the countryside on it and finally I got brave enough to have him teach me to ride it. Seeing "On Any Sunday" sealed my fate, as well and I have been a "motorcycle nut" girl ever since. :lol:

A few of my bikes that I have owned have their pictures posted in this thread: (my pix start on page #3)

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=782

where you will see DKW, Maico, Bultaco and many other machines that I have ridden over the past 38 years.

My present job is not one that I would normally choose, but beggars can't be choosy (especially those who have been unemployed for almost a whole year :D ), so if I want any money at all, I have to keep at it till I find something else. Unless my present company runs out of money....there have been a couple of bouncy paychecks in the last couple of weeks from these guys, so they may be ready to fall in the crapper at any given moment. Then I'll be out of work for sure. :unsure: I like retail and customer service work, because I like to talk to people, and I'll even listen to them. :lol: I was in retail for the past 11 years, nine of it in management. Sold a lot of sporting goods, firearms and fishing tackle. I miss that kind of work. :D I was also in the motorcycle industry back in the 80s and ran my own accessory and repair shop for a few years. :lol:

But I'm willing to give most things a go and I"m a quick learner, so if anybody has a job opening out there, PM me, e-mail me or call me. I can send you a resume.

Current:

Network Engineer for Sony Online Entertainment

Personal History:

Started working in the gaming industry in 1993 when I started working part time for a flight simulation company in Lake Forest CA, called "Fightertown." They had jet fighter simulators open to the public, and I initially started as a Flight Instructor and then moved on to 3D Modeling/Asset Creation. After working there for a time I moved to NJ to be the lead artist on a WWII Flight Simulation game for a facility in Niagara Falls, Canada. I decided to finish college and play some Lacrosse. Once that was done, I started work for Sony Online Entertainment, and the rest is various Jobs at Sony Online, till now. =)

Riding History:

Started riding in 1980 at the age of 5 (I know I'm a baby) on a Honda Z50 that my cousins owned. I was hooked right away and I think I was 10 when I got the '83 KDX 80. After riding that for 2 years I got a '77 PE 250 that I rode while working on a ranch in Ruby Valley, NV. The ranch had a Big Red 250 3 wheeler and 2 Honda Trail 90's, primarily used for irrigating and other ranching needs. I then learned what a 'Power Band' was in 1989 riding a '77 YZ 400. In 1996 I moved to NJ and sold my bikes, and didn't get back into bikes till I got my streetbike in 1998. I purchased a 1985 Honda Night Hawk from a friend and rode that for years. When I moved back to CA I didn't know anyone that rode bikes and I was finishing college. It wasn't until 2003 that I got back into bikes riding a 2001 YZ 250. Rode that until 2005 then had to sell it, and started riding my cousin's '03 KLX 300. That KLX was probably the best bike I've ever owned, I really liked that bike. I bought that KLX from him in 2006 then in 07 I bought the '07 WR 450F. That is how it looked stock, as it is much different now as you can tell HERE. Mostly blacked out plastics, it is a work in progress :unsure: In 08 I sold the KLX 300 in a trade for a '99 Yamaha R6. In late 2008, I added an Adventure bike to the garage, buying a '01 KTM 640 with only 442 miles on the odometer. I put 900+ miles on it 2 weeks later in the LA/Barstow/Las Vegas Dual Sport ride.

So, there ya have it. :lol: Current bikes listed below.

Work: 6 years USAF, 20 years cop. Patrol, SWAT, Sniper, Vice, Identity Theft Investigations, currently working Insurance Fraud.

Riding: Worked all summer mowing lawns to spend $50 on a Briggs & Stratton powered mini-bike when I was 8. It had front suspension consisting of a tube-in-tube with a spring attached at both ends with one bolt. My Dad brought home a Honda Trail 90 in the trunk one day...in pieces. The start of my wrenching...one of the best things he ever did for me. The next bike was a Hodaka Ace 100...same condition. First new bike..Combat Wombat. Lotsa weekends flippin' burgers for that one.

Somewhere in here is On Any Sunday....which I ordered the DVD of after buying a bike again to correctly set my chi, or chakras or something.

Multiple years off. Kawasaki 250 enduro basket case. I just remember searching a motorcycle graveyard for a thrust washer of some kind. Yamaha IT 465. Beat the deserts around now closed Williams AFB outside of Phoenix to death. Yamaha IT 490 after moving to Escondido. Rode OW and surrounding area for years...resulting in it biting back. 3 months off with a severely broken collarbone.

13 years off and back at it with the WR 450 after 2 Harleys and my V-Strom 650 (current street bike). WR 250 for son/dad-in-law when they come along.

Rating: Willing to ride anything but semi-cautious. Would like to do a long ride in the future.

Jerry Springer: Here's one for ya...at one point during the year, my Dad's wife, my (former) daughter in law & my sister....are all the same age! I am my own episode. :unsure:

....and slut? You started this....I know you're not your name cuz that doesn't make money, just "friends"

My family came to point loma in 1892 and was/still is part of the american tuna fishing fleet. After a good long hard run of fishing tuna all over the world I said good bye to that life as my body started to really feel it.

Mid 70s king crab fishng for 3 seasons, then the next 20 years or so tuna fishing and long range vessels.

One of the guys to fish California spot prawns in lobster trap on the west coast over 25 years ago, that was the start of a great fisheries

Inventor of unibutter, a scent used for catching fish, and the inventor of Unigoop, both of which are made from a by-product of sea urchin (UNI)

Iam a stake holder for the hunters and gathers of this state and sit on the panel for the MLPAs which are shutting down our coastline to all of us. Kind of like whats going on with our desert riding areas

Single father with a 19yr old girl thats giving me gray hairs, even in my ears.

drive a 72 pantera and a 74 pantera , I like to go fast when the right time comes, otherwise I just putt along the trail/road on a 07KLR650 which i really dig and looking forward to getting it dialed in for a long trip south.

Today i work at a major seafood wholesale house here in San Diego

Public Relations Officer

Sales/Buyer of fine seafood

BIKES

Old School

suzuki trailhopper

yamaha 80

yamaha 125

Bultaco

Kawasaki 440 ltd beltdrive

Wideglide HD (2 months hated that thing)

Huge gap

07 KLR 650 getting ready for a very long trip south

Work: Video Game Systems Designer. Since 2000 prior to that network administration for a bank, before that I was a courier,before that line service at a flight school, before that worked on a farm

Riding: Had a RM-80 when I was in 4th grade then we moved into the city :unsure:, rode bicycles all growing up and always wanted another motorcycle but was forbidden to have a street bike while living at home. My stepfather had been hit by a drunken driver on one. Got married and wife grew up going to the desert to great time to get back into it. Bought a used 2003 DRZ-250, rode it about 5 times in the past year and a half family stuff kept us from going out. Got the 08WR250R to use for commuting and hopefully replace the 2003 also when gas got so high driving my truck was a non option

Rating: Still a noob, two main school of things make me uncomfortable. Stuff where my front wheel slides like sand and gravel thats slick freaks me out since I have been down that way a few times, and whoops tire me out because I don't have the confidence to rail them

What I do:

IT Manager for a department at UCSD. Also do all things technical for the San Diego Recruiters Roundtable.

Riding History:

I've been riding Mountain Bikes for many years. Decided to ramp it up and buy a dirtbike about 3 years ago. Started with a WR426. Sold it and purchased a plated WR400 about a year ago. Now, I'm looking for something that performs a little better, plated WR450 or maybe going Orange.

My ability, on a bike is a question I always have a hard time answering. I'm probably one of those "low intermediate" to intermediate riders, depending on my mood. I can hang with what's thrown at me, just need more time in the saddle.

work- left OC in 1982... The building industry was flat (piece work carpenter) and the area music scene was WAY competitive. Competing with studio musicians for gigs is tough. Had a buddy going to school at UCSD and figured I needed a change. Started getting gigs immediately but it wasn't going to pay the bills, so I got a job wiping bird crap off tables at Sea World. I mustve been really good at it; I am the Director of Culinary Operations

Riding- Big Brothers of Orange County; my big brother introduced me to all sorts of fun; I was a very good BMX rider, and he got me on a bike (and a snowmobile, water skis, snow skis, fishing boat, cessna, etc. The guy was a fun-pig) I started going out to Saddleback as often as possible... I got tall, and he got hurt riding... The bikes went away and mom couldn't keep me riding. At 25, I made my first mountain bike; an old cruiser frame, with moto bars, road bike seat, and a 5 speed hub... Fricken death trap; almost decapitated myself due to lack of brakes and a Ill placed telephone pole wire... At 30 I bought a DR350 and a seca 750... The sport bike era followed; going fast is fun... But you can only hear of so many deaths before you rethink street racing... Got the drz, and decided to mellow out... Got married; got heat stroke; got a helicopter ride... My first SDAR experience!

Fairly incident free since then!

Love this club; always somebody to ride with, and all good folks. Lots of different paces to be sure, but there is somebody here that rides the right pace... And always have a tow rope

Well folks, Im a Gynecologist and I look at :lol::lol: all day long :lol::lol: Bad joke from Kindegarten Cop,, sorry, couldnt resist..Born and raised in SD. Owned distribution rights for Hansens 100% juice in SD with my brother. We built terratories and sold them. Took on Sanfrancisco, We owned the bay area, 13 routes. We thought it would take 5 years to build and sell but we did it in 3 years, 88 to 91. I did nothing but surf and motorcycling for about 3 years after that. Then Electrician with berg electric for 13 years or so? Then ran a electrical counter and sold stuff to contractors. Got laid off recently, June 3rd to be exact. So I went home and started remodeling the house and rebuilt my 70 blazer and then my brother called me up and asked if I would work with him again and I said sure. He owns the company, So here I am in the distribution biz again. I invested in it and now I work in it. Fresh Grill and Brown Bag Sandwich Co.We are in all 7-11s and every chevron, arco, circle k, am-pm etc. Under 7-11 it goes by the name " Fresh To Go " but flip it over and it says Fresh Grill. The Company is alot bigger then it sounds, we have about 380 employees and it costs about $ 800 thousand dollars a month to keep the doors open. We own 7.5 acres up here in Santa Ana at the 405 and 55 on Dyer. Stop in and say hi if you are in the area. I will give you the grand tour. Joliet and Pasta pilot have been by. Steve Heavirland-DSD manager.

Nope, not an Elf and as fun as spraying perfume on ladies at Macys sounds, thats not my gig either!!

For years I was a contractor in the Solar Energy business and ran a local business called Solarworks. After 18 years I got burned out on all of that and through a bizarre set of circumstances got offered a full time staff position at my local church. My title is "Director of Facilities" at North Coast Church in Vista. We're a mega church on the cutting edge of some new ways to do ministry. I lead a team that does all the theme'ing, building sets, fabricating stuff. I actually have a full blown woodshop, metal shop, graphics design shop on site. I spend alot of time anymore giving tours to pastors from all over the country. I actually wear a bunch of differant hats from pastor (I do counseling, weddings and some memorials) to running mens retreats. Every year I put on a mens retreat out at Ocotillo wells called the Desert rat experience. Last year we had 250 guys out there with a full program including a poker run. Christmas is a crazy time, as you can imagine, because we do just a ton of community service stuff.

I started riding about 25 years ago when a buddy of mine put me on an old yamaha 360 RT-1 and beat the snot out of me on the single track up in Gorman. I then bought a RM 370 and made it a trail bike and later got a YZ 465. Primarily just rode up in Gorman every chance I could. In 86 I moved from LA to San Diego and launched Solarworks, got married, kids and stuff and got too busy to ride so got out of it for years. Once I came on staff here I bought my KTM and started hitting the local deserts and, well, here I am. I'm really looking forward to getting my Husky setup for Adventure and doing some longer, multiday, what have I gotten myself into type of trips.

I have made some cool friends and done some great rides with the guys over at KTMTalk but am really stoked to find this site. Local people doing lots of local rides and who get the whole on line community thing. It just seems to get funner everyday!

I am Schwinn's nurse at his clinic. haha I grew up in Escondido, playing sports. I rode ATC's and dirt bikes til 8th grade. Then Football and Basketball consumed me. Graduated college on full scholarship. Was lucky enough to play 5 years in and out of the pros, and travel the world thanks to football. I now run the family business. Ronnie's Cooling Systems. Pops has had the store since 1966. Just 2 years ago I got divorced and married to a Husky TE610 which I have modified in just about every way possible. I dont get out on a bunch of rides due to two Amazing young boys that take up a whole bunch of my time. They are 5-7 years old. The few of you I have met (when riding Schwinn's lil mini bike 450) I have had a blast with thank you. If any of you need cooling or heating systems repaired on your cars let me know. We work on everything from daily drivers to Caterpillars. Take care and God Bless.

EX QB Cree Morris Happy Holiday too all, and remember Sunny Side Up :lol:

I'll play along since I'm on hold right now . . .

I'm an attorney. I handle personal injury and real estate litigation. For the first 10 years in practice I defended doctors and nursing homes in malpractice cases for one of the largest firms in the country. I now have my own firm in Carlsbad with my best friend from law school. If I couldn't be my own boss I would get out of practicing law.

Prior to being an attorney I was in the Marines.

I'm a native of San Diego, La Jolla to be specific as my avatar hints at. (I'm actually 3rd generation La Jollan and second generation native.) While I was growing up, my dad was in the San Diego Mountain Rescue Team. We'd go camping a lot with them and I got to ride a Honda Trail 80. I rode street bikes while in college and actually raced a Yamaha FZ600 for a season. My wife got me out of bikes for about 15 years. I started riding on the street again 3 years ago and the dirt 2 years ago. I'm not the fastest guy in the dirt but I can handle pretty much anything. I just prefer to ride trails which are more open and fast than the technical stuff.

Yes, I'm a photographer except when I ride. Then I'm a rider. One day, I'll make a ride into a photo/video assignment, but I typically have too much fun riding to even think about it.

I was born the only white child of a poor black family. Oops. Not really.

As a kid, I always wanted bikes, but my dad worked at hospitals where he specialized in helping spinal cord, head and back injury patients, so it was not in the cards. Oddly, he weakened for about 6 months and shared a Honda 160 with an employee. At the time, we lived in El Cajon, and had easy access to the small (then) roads of east county. I probably got to ride on the back of that bike 5 or 10 times, (in my sparkly-blue helmet) but that was enough. I must have spent hours sitting on it in the garage, vrooming my way to 9 year old adventures.

I had a three-wheeler through early college, could do 3rd gear wheelies down Competition while drunk and clad in tennis shoes, shorts and a cut-off t-shirt. Quite an accomplishment. Damn proud.

In 1985, I bought an XT250, which began the true addiction. Kept an XR500 in Oregon with a friend and rode a few times per year with him. Graduated rapidly to BMWs, long fast sport touring, track schools, European tours, and "sport bike" baiting on Palomar etc. Married in 1998, and subsequently lost the drive- sold all of my then five bikes, but reserved the right to return to motorcycling one day.

Time passes, our son arrives, and the urge returns. Two years ago, I bought the KTM and have not stopped spending since. And learning how to ride in the dirt.

My wife owns and runs, with a partner, an advertising agency. Since my hours are more flexible, I spend a lot of time as primary parent to our son. I volunteer a lot of time to our school, and blog about my experiences, good and otherwise, with the school district at www.sandiegounifiedparent.com. I'm also a trustee on the Mission Hills Town Council, a very powerful and highly-compensated position. Riiight.

Work/parent/volunteer/play is a constant balance, just like everyone else. Here's a "day at the studio" I produced for a friend's beauty business. Been at that location downtown for about 12/13 years. I'm the guy surrounded by all the women ; )

Video link

I'm enjoying meeting and riding with SDAR, thanks!

fn

This is one of the more interesting threads I have read in a LONG time. Very cool to see a little background on all of ya.

Right now:

Student, Masters of Architecture at Newschool of Architecture and Design.

Looking for work.

History:

Grew up in Utah. Just a little over a year ago I sold everything I owned, dragged my wife and three little girls to San Diego to pursue the degree. Blessedly they have adjusted well and love San Diego.

Ridding History:

six years ago a neighbor sold me his wr426 and took me down to the San Rafael Swell in the Utah deserts for my first ever motorcycle ride. He and others proceeded to baptise me by fire by leading me through a series of amazing trails, including Five Miles of Hell. The bike took quite a beating as It shot out from under me many times and I watched as bounced into trees and rocks. It made it home no worse for ware, I however, geared with only helmet, leather work gloves, and hightop tennis shoes, returned home looking like the walking dead with countless scrapes and bruises and two blown knees. Regardless of the wifes protest I was hooked on dirt biking from that point on.

Because school takes up most of my time (and money), I sold my dirt bike (06 TC510) and bought an 08KLR which I commute to school daily on and try to visit the trails as much as possible.

I am a systems Manager for a big company in America.. I engineer and redesign Microsoft and Linux OS for specific devices. I was the first paid Apple tech for LA school district when I was in 5th grade. Yes kids could work back then.. Currently support 750,000 Desktops.

I am not happy with the way things have turned out in the tech world, companies view you a liability and not asset. Doesn’t matter you work with MS and saved the company 100 million last year. Sorry there getting ready to lay off more of IT folks.

I started riding at 8, I rode a YZ80 till I was about 15(bike was too small). I then got a Yamaha xt175(I think that’s what it was called, dual sport) I rode that till I was 19. I then got a Suzuki 400 street bike. I wreck it on 67 at 70 mph, going too fast for turn. I ended up getting a scooter after that Honda Silver wing. I rode that for 100k, loved that thing. I traded it for a Yamaha V-star Silverado, piece of ----, had to sue just to get it fixed. I was off the dirt for about 20 years, then my dad bought a KRL650, I rode it for 10k then got smashed between two dipshits talking on there cell phones. Now I have the KTM 690 Enduro and love the hell out of that bike. So much more power at the low end and pull out so well.

WORK: - I wish! I'm currently LOOKING FOR WORK. I was laid off back in August from a company that sold software to loan officers. It's been real tough, I was real close to getting picked up at Qualcomm in October, but didn't get it. I want to stay in I.T. but getting to the point that I may have to take any job for now.

Watching too much CNN on the doom and gloom of the economy. But...I'll just keep plugging away.

I have more than 12 years experience in I.T. as a technical support analyst. Most of that experience has been mainly with large scale companies i.e. Hughes Aircraft and Computer Sciences Corporation along with a few other smaller companies.

I also worked as a Realtor for about 6 years and I was a paramedic for a couple of years, couldn't pay the bills and moved on.

Riding: I've been riding almost all my life. My first bike was a 1975 YZ80 then CR250,CR480,RM250,YZ250,VTX1300 cruiser, YZ426, VT750 cruiser and now a DRZ400S. I'm sure I left a few bikes out. Started racing motocross when I was 18 for a couple years. I also raced a couple of D38 desert races. I did a little 4-wheeling(Rock Crawling)in Los Coyotes Indian reservation a few years back, that was a lot of fun, never thought I could get an adrenaline rush going 5 mph. I was also really into BMX as a kid and then later Mountain biking. MTBing was a huge passion of mine and really miss it, just don't seem to have the time to consistently ride anymore.

Real excited about going on some dual sport rides, only done a few but none with the group yet. (soon!)

My blog (work in progress)

post-9230-1228958263_thumb.jpg

I would chime in but I've already been outed.

You "outed" yourself in the musical preference thread! Oh! You mean the occupation thing! Its still a good story Jon; so, out with it... And some riding history, please

Work: I have had two real jobs since graduating HS in 1977 in newspaper production. 1977 we move to Ramona when main street only had one stop sign and worked for the Ramona Sentinel Newspaper. It was a weekly papers so as the week goes on your job changes. Start of the week I was a Photographer and Darkroom tech, then move to page layout, over to Pre-press, ok time to become a press operator, over to the mail room cause the papers where mailed to the houses so we put on the address and then drove the papers to the Post Office. I know it looks like I did the complete job myself but it took about ten of us all helping each other. 1982 I went to work at then the Times Advocate as a Press Operator and ended up in Production Maintance. It became the North County Times and after 26 years just recieved the layoff pink slip. Newspapers are not doing to well.

Hey I have read so much here about tires on your bikes that I in the works to start a Motocycle Tire Service. Tire sales and mount/balance. Tires will be orderd, low overhead by not stocking tires and you guys recieved the savings. How's that. Most tires take about two days to get. Right now PM with any questions.

Ride: First bike in 1971 Yamaha AT1mx, then Penton and rode 70s MX. then did the early ATC stuff to Quads with bikes in the late 80s with a Kawasaki KLX 250, KDX 175, Suzuki RMX 250, at this time MX was out and dersert was my thing. Famliy time out. Now ease back with Vintage and the Tour Bike and like the idea of Dual Sport.

I getting the DRZ in shape with the carb work and hope someone will be of help with helping put in new fork springs. I do need to do some of them other mods like the lock tight thing, free power mod for the battery and what not.

I do look some much for my chance to meet some of you and ride. Thanks Kelly

Occupation: Head idiot. Also I built this site, which is sadly in need of my time for a redesign :) Linux evangelist, and everything that runs on Linux, built software research labs running 100% Linux/BSD, own a bunch of servers, one of them is where this forum lives. Yaddah, Yaddah, Yaddah.

Riding: still learning how. Obviously not very good at math, usually can be seen riding precipitous areas on a 1200gs, like a super smart guy. This weekend I'll be back in SD (live in Oregon now) and possibly borrowing KTMRad's "small bike" (KTM640) and seeing what life in the sand is like on a big diet from my current pig. I'm guessing it's not 28 degrees there like it is here...on the other hand I can shoot off the back porch and not hit anything (including the target on the tree), and I can walk to riding areas...come to think of it, if the 1200 doesn't make it, I can walk back :lol:

The area up here is beautiful, but there's no work except growing pot and being on welfare, or retirement and death, so I'm the oddball overworked propellerhead with most all my gigs in SD still, which is where my servers still live. And I have a dog who sneaks out at night and drinks a gallon of speed mixed with sugar...if you meet her, you'll understand. And no, with no opposable thumbs, she can't ride a KTM, though I'm thinking about making a backseat mount for her, the 1200 should be able to handle the weight :lol: Oh, and I'm designing and launching an internet TV station up here to take away the controlled media and give it back to the community...power to the people and stuff, and no, I wasn't smoking local product when I decided to do that :lol: Actually I lead music at church, they frown on bongs as a generalization.

Front end site design is a work in progress :lol: Forums are GREAT!

(send me the hex colors you used on the forum :lol:)

Is this what it would be like if I went to my High School Reunion?

But really, I need to work at this to match the diversity on this page. Just shows the talent needed to ride Dual Sport.

Dave

work:

button pusher.

people person.

i help turn reality into digital "reality".

riding:

revisiting my youthful riding youth. got a DR-Z400S, and trying to stop breaking it when i ride...

hope, for my wife's pocket book, that slows down.

family:HAPPILY married to a beautiful woman, have 2 kids....boy and girl (*6 1/2 & 4)

surfed for last 25+ years.

pretty much my bio.

Blind :lol: