BBQ.Will, XTsteve, buddy frank, papaalex, Briana, and I showed up for what would turn into a very long day. We rode the dunes for an hour or two then decided to go to trestle #2 and do the big hill climb as planned. On the way back to superstition we took corrizo creek wash (the very large wash that runs under trestle #2). We were hualing ass north bound and kicking up some serious dust. Will was caught in the dust and couldn't see the 2ft ledge speeding at him at 50MPH. What happens when you hit a ledge at 50MPH? Thats right, you go flyin over the bars and land 20-30 ft from the bike. Luckily all that he broke was a collar bone.

More details to come.... And pics.

Dang. We've all been caught in the dust... or that "time of the day" when the shadows for ledges and drop-offs disappear...

Best wishes Will.

Yes, best wishes to Will. Hope for a speedy recovery. Will is the last guy I would wish this upon.

I'll save the details of my totaled rescue truck until I speak with my insurance company. Lets just say it ain't pretty. :)

Yes, best wishes to Will. Hope for a speedy recovery. Will is the last guy I would wish this upon.

I'll save the details of my totaled rescue truck until I speak with my insurance company. Lets just say it ain't pretty. :)

I just got back from the hospital; the nice doctor gave me a bunch of vicoden to take home, so i'm feeling pretty good right now. I'll put up some pics of my bike along with (hopefully) a copy of my x-ray here in the next few days. Big thanks to brianna, alex and frank for helping me out and keeping me company out in the middle of nowhere, steve for driving me home, and of course brad for making a valient effort and unfortunately totaling your truck.

Will was caught in the dust and couldn't see the 2ft ledge speeding at him at 50MPH. What happens when you hit a ledge at 50MPH?

You eat it! Sorry to hear about all the calamity. Was this a ledge on the edge of the wash or was it one of those sneaky ones in the wash? I find the "in the wash ledges" are often worse going up the wash (usually northwest) rather than down (south or east).

Wishing for BBQ-Will to have a quick recovery. If you need any help during your recovery let me know - I will help if I can

Hey everybody, it's B B G . Will.

Sorry to hear about the digger buddy. I hope you're back on the bike soon.

Sorry about your injury Will, glad you'll be okay after some calcium mending....is your bike okay? But what happened to Spaughs truck? I am curious to hear his report on that :) !

Dust is one of the reasons I am always so far behind other people. I don't like breathing it and I really like to see where I am going :)

Once, many years ago I was riding with a dual sport group out in the desert and following the guy in front of me at close range and fairly high speed. He just vanished all of a sudden; I thought into the dust. But he had made a sudden right turn. I kept going straight and launched off the edge of a ravine along with the three guys that were following me. We all managed to land okay and not hit anything or each other, luckily.

But I have seen some bad accidents that were dust related over the years.

Get well soon Will. Spaugh not the best way to force yourself to get a new Dodge! Way to go the extra mile for a fallen comrade.

Tough day out there. Will, make sure you eat your Tums and drink milk. Anything for some extra calcium to try to speed recovery time. I broke my collarbone a few years ago, it wasn't too bad. At least you don't need to deal with a cast.

You eat it! Sorry to hear about all the calamity. Was this a ledge on the edge of the wash or was it one of those sneaky ones in the wash? I find the "in the wash ledges" are often worse going up the wash (usually northwest) rather than down (south or east).

Wishing for BBQ-Will to have a quick recovery. If you need any help during your recovery let me know - I will help if I can

Ya, we we're heading north, north east and the ledge just popped up out of nowhere; there wasn't a whole lot of dust at that point, but the shadows where really short and almost non-existant. But I'm doing pretty good, albeit really sore today.

Thanks everybody for the get well wishes.

But what happened to Spaughs truck? I am curious to hear his report on that :) !

I filed a claim and will see how that goes tomorrow. Lets just say I am used to riding my bike though the desert at high speed and in the rush to rescue Will I forgot I wasn't on the bike.

I'll have pics and more details tomorrow. My front teeth are still a little loose. :)

Wow! I feel your pain. I've crashed in the dez a time or two myself. Get well soon BBG :)

Looking forward to the truck report, good luck with that Brad...

Hi all,

What a day!!!! Will is one tough guy!!! It took about 12 hours to get him to the Emergency Room. He didn't complain once!!!

Here are some pic's. The first ones are of Rescue Truck #2. Note: Rescue Truck #1 (Spaug's truck) was silver. All Rescue Trucks should be RED!! That could have been the problem with Rescue Truck #1. The other pic's are of better times (pre-Will crash).

Hope Will gets better soon. I am sure his girlfriend will take good care of him and let him out soon to play again with the Boys (and Brianna).

I am also looking forward to Spaug's Rescue Truck #1 pic's as well.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...0145_edited.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...0146_edited.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...0154_edited.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...08/IMG00156.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...0157_edited.jpg

XTSTEVE :)

Hows BBG doing? :( Do we need a face plant thread like advrider has?

I'm doing pretty good. The bones are still loose and not set, but no real pain to speak of, still just uncomfortable. A family friend/orthopedic surgeon agreed to look at me pro-bono on sun as its tuff to get that referral directly from my doc. But if a face plant thread does appear, i'll try even harder to of my x-ray to post.

I'm sure BBG is doing much better by now, soooo... what happened to the 1st rescue truck and where are the pics???

I'm sure BBG is doing much better by now, soooo... what happened to the 1st rescue truck and where are the pics???

I dont believe spaugh knows. I think the first rescue truck was stolen and we are waiting to see. <_<

I dont believe spaugh knows. I think the first rescue truck was stolen and we are waiting to see. <_<

on my ride back to superstition from the trestle XTsteve and I were going about 60 the whole way. I hopped in the truck and headed off not going quite that fast but going to fast for a truck anyway. It was all smooth sailing until the road turned into whoops.

The trucks front end went up and came down hard right on a very large buried bolder. That bolder went through my front skid, and into the frame. Drivers side frame rail is bent along with busted skid, side panel broken overflow bottle. The bolder then came unearthed and this sucker was BIG. It rolled back under the rest of the truck and took out my drive shaft.

I limped the truck back to the parking spot to let steve know he was rescue truck no2. We went and got Will and I rode back with the rest of the crew while XTsteve took will to the hospital. Once I got back I started wrenching. I pulled the rear drive shaft off and put on a smaller front spare (since my front wheel is now rubbing the body when turning left) and limped it home in 4WD front wheel drive only.

The truck is at the collision repair and is going to be fixable they think. Still haven't got a solid answer from them yet. I'll toss pics up later today.

broken truck

the collision center called and said the frame has to be replaced. We'll see if the insurance wants to write it off...

Not too many riding partners are willing to risk what you did to get back to their downed buddy so quickly :lol: Sorry about your truck Brad, and I hope the insurance co. takes care of you, but I'll ride with you any time bro! :unsure:

insurance didn't seem to care when I told them "I hit a large rock". No questions asked and my rates are dirty cheap. USAA rules.

insurance co. takes care of you, but I'll ride with you any time bro! :unsure:

I might ride with you, but maybe not as a passenger in your truck...

glad to know you're ok.

p