Mikey777

Otay Truck Trail- A cautionary tale

Was out riding late yesterday afternoon and went for a quick trip up Otay TT. The views up there are spectacular.

Went up from the Delzura side and down the western end to Otay Lakes Road. On the way down I was going pretty slow because there are some steep, gravely parts on that side near the bottom. When I was about 1/4 mile from the bottom a Ford F-150 prerunner came blasting uphill around a blind corner at me. (No mirror on that corner either) I veered off to the right and went into the high side embankment as he skidded towards me. His driver's side door came to a stop just about where I went into the embankment. Had I not ridden into the bank, I would have been under his truck or a permanent fixture in his grill.

All I got was a "Sorry Dude" and he drove off. Nobody got hurt and the bike already has plenty of scratches so no harm done, but it scared the crap out of me.

Just be wary on that trail. It is narrow, some people haul ass in their rigs, and the gravel makes it hard from them to stop even if you are going slow. And stay near an edge just in case you need to bail.

Glad to hear you are OK. I have had similar encounters twice, but not nearly as close with border patrol vehicles.

That fine gravel on the hard pack dirt can be like riding on marbles.

Mister F150 needs to realize that road is not a race track.

Yup, I've had some close calls on the OMTT; with off-roaders, Border Patrol vehicles, hikers and other motorcyclists.

There have been some hellacious wrecks on the trail. In '99, a BP agent died, along with his passengers, when he rolled off the road and down a 1000' embankment.

In '14, a judge awarded $5.4M to motorcyclist who lost leg after crash with a Border Pateol Agent. The dual sporter's attorneys contended in a lawsuit that a Border Patrol agent caused the collision by speeding on the trail.

It may be why the BPAs are chasing us off more often...

What a bummer ive had couple close calls near otay more near east side one with border patrol and one with a hunter literally bounced my front wheel off his tire.

3 words: weekday single track

Ive had probably 6 head ons at corral canyon on the weekend never go there again unless during the week

I'm always weary up there extra especially in the non mirrored corners of the route.

Almost got into head on while driving up Engineer Rd 4 yahoos in a jeep driving too fast for a one lane road. +1 on the single track.

Yeah, Engineer's Road is really something.

Not built for speed, it's a "get to know your bike" kind of road.

In can happen anywhere...I had a close call on the dirt road Cameron Truck Trail behind the big Border Patrol Yard by Old Hwy 80...the truck was hauling ass with no regard for anyone else on the trail, luckily I saw him coming.

I know how you feel, I do get scared and go slow when going around a corner on well traveled dirt roads.

i went last week and saw a suv that looks like it recently went off the road. check out the attached pictures. entering through pio pico about 1/3 of the way up.

not sure if that's survivable, slight chance maybe but they must have sustained some serious damage.

for a graded track, it definitely has some serious perils.

post-15597-0-07207900-1458067163_thumb.j

post-15597-0-01399300-1458067164_thumb.j

post-15597-0-69936000-1458067164_thumb.j

Yikes. That doesn't look good at all.

Thats crazy ill have to look for it next time im up there

It doesn't look like it rolled. All the glass is still intact from what I can tell in the picture. That's going to take a pretty serious recovery effort to get it out of there. Unless they just leave it there for nature to reclaim.

It doesn't look like it rolled. All the glass is still intact from what I can tell in the picture. That's going to take a pretty serious recovery effort to get it out of there. Unless they just leave it there for nature to reclaim.

Nature from which, like a delicate flower, it sprung forth.

My buddy saw it recently and said it looked like it was driven down there.

Yup, I've had some close calls on the OMTT; with off-roaders, Border Patrol vehicles, hikers and other motorcyclists.

There have been some hellacious wrecks on the trail. In '99, a BP agent died, along with his passengers, when he rolled off the road and down a 1000' embankment.

In '14, a judge awarded $5.4M to motorcyclist who lost leg after crash with a Border Pateol Agent. The dual sporter's attorneys contended in a lawsuit that a Border Patrol agent caused the collision by speeding on the trail.

It may be why the BPAs are chasing us off more often...

Dan...you don't let those guys kick you out....do you?

I live a fairy tail existence where lights are always green, gates are always open and tubes never go flat.

Just got back from otay, man what a zoo today i started at pio pico passed 6 trucks on way up, on ridge trail near top saw another 5 trucks/jeeps the shinny ones that dont go offroading. 1 2wd tacoma stuck on a closed off side trail and 2 chevys trying to make their own trail up side of mountain. On way back down another 4 vehicles and 1 more idiot in a truck trying a closed off trail. And the rangers still think its the motorcycles fault

I went yesterday and it wasn't a zoo, but we did see quite a bit more than usual trucks taken leasure drives.

What we did see was this post stating "ohv funds at work", although we could not find any trails that I would take my ohv bike.

Does anyone now what they mean about ohv funds at work?

All I could see is a gravel fire road.

Went to Otay again a week ago. Ran into a fork on the southern side of the mountain that had a gate on one side (see pic below). There was a sign posted "Authorized Vehicles Only". Has anyone been down that road? Are we allowed, does it matter?

Also, I ran into a rider who trucked small dirt bike. He mentioned that he'd been riding Otay for years and that for the most part the border patrol don't mind of you go off road, despite all the signs specifically saying not too.

From what I gather on this site, we are supposed to be somewhat aware of our boundaries/responsibilities, so as not to ruin the rights that we have to use the land.

What are your all thoughts on this?

post-15597-0-28625700-1460059589_thumb.j