There is something about riding out to the desert and exploring, especially with good riding buddies. I have to imagine that The Old West cowboys felt the same as they mounted up on their horses and headed out into the hills.

Our modern day posse leader was DanRider. Among his crew of unsavory characters were CiD, Sdspearo, myself, and KLR Greg. Our destination...Yuma. Specifically,the Big Eye Mine in the Kofa Wildlife Refuge outside of Yuma. We met up at BMW Motorcycles of Escondido and headed east on our mechanical horses, leaving just after noon on Friday.

We made our way out to Ocotillo Wells to stop by Tracy's Church of the Holy Motorcycle group camp. From there we continued our ride out east via the 78 to Brawley, down the 111, hit the 8 and stopped in Yuma for dinner at a small Mexican cafe. With the sun all but gone, we got back on the bikes and rode into the Imperial Wildlife Refuge for our night camping stop. The last part of the ride was a dusty 20 mile dirt washboard road...in the dark...to Picacho campground. We all made it fine except for KLR Greg who opted to stay in Yuma for the night. We quickly made camp and put the horses out to pasture. Too many beers later we hit the sack.

In the morning, CiD headed back to San Diego and the rest of us continued northeast to the 95 and into Kofa. Once into Kofa, we were all dirt, eventually ending up on a jeep road that took us to the Big Eye Mine. The road was big bike friendly with a few rough sections here and there just to keep it interesting. The last few miles was a wash filled with pea gravel that made for some squirrely handling. We all made it fine with only a couple slow speed bike naps.

From the wash we hiked up to the mine and checked out the old miners cabin. It is in really good shape for its age with lots of cool relics lying around. Then we headed up to the mine. After having our much needed lunch and rest, we got back on the bikes and headed out. We said goodbye to KLR Greg at the 95 and then Dan, Art and I headed over to Lake Martinez for dinner and pirate camped out for the night. It was an amazing night of stargazing and satellite watching.

We knew rain and wind was in the forecast for Sunday, so we got up at 5:00 a.m., packed up, and hit the 8 to bust back into San Diego hoping to beat the weather. Nope. We got blasted by wind heading up to Jacumba (just missing a sandstorm) and then rode into the freezing cold rain. My visor got so fogged up on the inside I could barely see. It was a crappy asada burrito wrapped in a tortilla of suck. The rain eventually relented near Alpine and Dan and Art split off on the 67 to head back home.

That being said, Great Ride! No breakdowns, no flats, and no injuries. Just great views, good memories and a hangover on Saturday that kicked my ass all day.
post-15604-0-46162600-1454273803_thumb.j

post-15604-0-82024200-1454273831_thumb.j

post-15604-0-95503500-1454273861_thumb.j

post-15604-0-57999400-1454273882_thumb.j

post-15604-0-13948000-1454273912_thumb.j

post-15604-0-79226500-1454289347_thumb.j

post-15604-0-82872400-1454289430_thumb.j

Very cool! I've been wanting go to explore that area for a while now.

I am happy that I hat some honey do's at home. Still rearranging the Garages.

It is always a nice time when in Yuma, the weather was outstanding, and the sites to see are amazing and only 3hr ride away. Beats doing the same thing over and over. They got a taste of what Yuma has to offer. Next round will be Kofa North and a full red cloud jam. Mike was right, once we made our way up the grade on the 8, wind, rain, deep clouds on the road, and the fog in helmet made it hard ride and see. I would lift my visor so I could see and the rain when it hit my face felt like stinging sand, ouch, ouch!!!. It was good to hook up with everyone and ride, I do have to say after Saturdays ride I was dead tired and had one to the best sleeps in a long time.

Nice to ride with all of you, we will do it again soon!

Enjoy my pics!

post-13882-0-59444300-1454291969_thumb.j

post-13882-0-46317300-1454292223_thumb.j

post-13882-0-38511600-1454292295_thumb.j

post-13882-0-39806000-1454292311_thumb.j

post-13882-0-16491200-1454292331_thumb.j

post-13882-0-15294700-1454292359_thumb.j

post-13882-0-97242000-1454292374_thumb.j

post-13882-0-22880500-1454292390_thumb.j

post-13882-0-87569800-1454292411_thumb.j

Thanks for another great trip! That slab ride home in the storm was more challenging than the sandy sections on the trail! More pics...

Picacho

1zfnaxl.jpg

Col.River from Picacho boat ramp

25a69fk.jpg

2hoi5nt.jpg

The view from Big Eye Mine

2927cdj.jpg

Looks like fun trip guys thanks for posting might have to follow tracks one of these days

That is super cool fellas, I am hoping to do a trip very similar to that in a couple weeks, but likely not at the average mph as yours :).

Good destinations and good action. Nice - cheers to ya'll.

Glad you guys made it home safe. Sorry I couldn't make it but do appreciate the invite. Next time for sure.

Sorry I missed your group as my buddy and I were at KOFA all day on Saturday just north of you. Graet place to ride and alot of cool things to see like HooDoo and KOFA cabins.

I had a great time. I did a little exploring on my way home Saturday out of Picacho. Lots of interesting trails in the area. I'm going back for sure to do more exploring on both sides of the river. Thanks for putting the ride together Dan.

IMG_4453_zpsw7wc6jgd.jpg

IMG_4404_zpswv8gvyvw.jpg

CiD

Our own DSTSS really knows Picacho and I am going to setup a trip with him just for Picacho, gad you got to do some of your own riding, the trails are really endless. As always CID, enjoyed having a barley pop with you.

Our own DSTSS really knows Picacho and I am going to setup a trip with him just for Picacho, gad you got to do some of your own riding, the trails are really endless. As always CID, enjoyed having a barley pop with you.

Actually I was out in Picacho on Saturday. Wandering around with the the bike and the rzr with the wife and a few friends. Great place to explore. I'll look forward to seeing you out here sometime after the dash.