TdubLady

KTM or KLR?

I am SUPER excited to report that my man(Todd) is ready to turn the BMW K1200 into a dual sport bike. He's digging(as we all do) the look of the KTM. I feel the KLR may be more practical and reasonable.

Would appreciate any good advice,tips,suggestion y'all have to offer.

Thanks in advance!

Orange Kool-aid is much tastier than Green Kool-aid... :lmaosmiley:

a real Euro offroad cutting edge tech bike or a half hearted attempt at looking and acting like one.

Two very different machines with different capabilities. What is the plan for the bike? Single track, long distance touring with light off road riding, occasional track? Which KTM is he interested in?

Two very different machines with different capabilities. What is the plan for the bike? Single track, long distance touring with light off road riding, occasional track? Which KTM is he interested in?

He is enamored of the 1190R Adventure he saw at Vey's. Something we can take on vacations in the trailer and go exploring w my TW, probably. Hell, you know how you guys are when you get the "I wants"! LOL

Depends on what he plans to do with it. I've owned 4 KLRs and now own a KTM 990.

A bigger bike is tougher on tight, off-road trails, but not impossible. The KLR sucks on long stretches of asphalt. But they go all over the world.

If cost is no object: KTM

If he plans to do all of the maintenance himself: KLR

If he plans to do all of the maintenance himself AND he's bike savvy AND cost is no object: KTM

There's a world of difference between the two. But then again, not really.

I hope I've helped...

Depends on what he plans to do with it. I've owned 4 KLRs and now own a KTM 990.

A bigger bike is tougher on tight, off-road trails, but not impossible. The KLR sucks on long stretches of asphalt. But they go all over the world.

If cost is no object: KTM

If he plans to do all of the maintenance himself: KLR

If he plans to do all of the maintenance himself AND he's bike savvy AND cost is no object: KTM

There's a world of difference between the two. But then again, not really.

I hope I've helped...

You're a big help, but WHICH KTM? If money weren't an object and most maintenance could be done at home?

Tell him to buy a Gen 2 or 1 KLR for less than 1/3rd the price of a KTM and ride the heck out of it. Ha ha.

Still want to ride Saturday, Miriam?

If he's fairly savvy, any KTM is a good choice. Be warned: To check air pressure, one must drop 2 of the 6 fuel tanks, remove the seat and handlebars, simultaneously spin front and rear wheels, whistle the secret KTM tune and call Paul Bowers. You'll then need to place all parts in the back of a truck and bring them to RJ @ All American where he will financially assault you.

On a KLR you can change the oil with one hand while eating a sammich and drinking a beer. You'll be done before the beer is finished.

The KTM 950 and 990 are smaller and more agile (easy boys, that's subjective).

The 1190/1290s are bigger and do really well on long pavement runs and not too bad off road (think R1200GS-style).

It is "to accompany her on the TW"...FFS people, get over the kool-aid. You don't get a saluki to do coursing with a dachsund

It is "to accompany her on the TW"...FFS people, get over the kool-aid. You don't get a saluki to do coursing with a dachsund

I'm a weenie dog now???!!!! :shiftyeyes_anim:

At least you didn't call me a turtle or a snail,I guess....

To putt around with you on the TW I think a DRZ would be perfect.

He knows if he gets a DRZ I already have lowering links-I'll take it over when he's not looking.

Get 2 DRZ's then. Lower 1. Same parts, maintenance, etc.

Sell the TW.

Keep the big bike for road trips.

Get 2 DRZ's then. Lower 1. Same parts, maintenance, etc.

Sell the TW.

Keep the big bike for road trips.

NEVER selling my TW! It'll make a fine pit/buddy bike forever. Big bike can go-my days on the back have passed for awhile. Prefer to take the camper truck and trailer bikes on vacations now.

Love the idea of his/hers DRZs, but not sure he'll go for that.

And that's a whole nother can of worms-there's S, SE, SM,on and on with those damn letters that I don't know what they mean! Which is which? What is what?

My understanding - S. SM is Supermoto.

From ADV - "DR-Z400 is kick start only off road bike. DR-Z400E is electric start off road bike. DR-Z400S is dual sport (street legal) and the DR-Z400SM is the street legal supermotard. No such thing as a DR-Z400SE.

The off road models are lighter and make more power but they're not street legal out of the box. I have an S and it does great off-road."

For about $200 per DRZ, you can add a kickstarter. Leaves a solution if the battery ever goes.

What type of riding does he want to do? How big is he? What's his experience level offroad?

TLady,

He is just trading the Pig for the Pork.. Not really wanting to Dualsport

That can be fun, but know what is what.

Bags

I love my klr but its heavy for trail riding. And if your not gonna ride a ktm hard its a waste of money in my opinion. Drz seems like what ur looking for

Yeah definitely more info needed in what he wants to do but if ur gonna hang around to tw200 and go iut with him have him look at wr250r unless he. I prefer it to the drz.

A big adventure bike for newbie will be quite the handful. Used 990 adventure, klr or f800gs is good choice for bigger bike.

They're almost giving away '14 DL1000 Stroms at Fun Bike Center:

http://www.funbike.com/shop/land/2014-suzuki-dl1000-v-strom-abs/

Word is they bought a batch of bikes on the cheap from a failed dealer. Is the 1190 worth more than 2x one of these? Rationally, no way. Emotionally, different story. Hope you find something that satisfies at least one side of your brain!

That's a smoking deal if you want a 600lb bike to ride in the dirt next to your wife's tw200. I would keep the Bmw and buy another tw200.