Dan Diego

Scrubbing the bike. Or not.

Was discussing how we wash our bikes--or don't--with some SDAR peeps last night.

I've used Original Bike Spirits ($6-7 a can) for a few years now. It works on glass, plastic and metal. Vinyl, too, I hope, because it goes on everything!

Arnie and Ken also had dome interesting uses for Mop n Glo and Meguires wax.

We agreed that sometimes the bike just isn't gonna get washed. Baja dust builds a protective layer on plastics and actually strengthens metal parts...

What do you use--or don't use--as part of your bike cleaning routine?

post-14554-0-74641400-1401551549.jpeg

Degreaser for the underneath and deionized water. The water makes an unbelievable difference on everything. One of my favorite investments for sure!

Spray some Shout on the greasy parts. Use Simple Green for the rest of the bike. Towel dry, after a thorough rinse and use the spray polish shown in the first post. Any marks that won't come off after all that will get removed with careful and sparing usage of acetone. Also, I find that the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers will clean up some plastic....also great for cleaning up white boots.

Knee stains on my tank won't come off with anything but Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent). But beware as Magic Eraser is actually a form of glass and works by micro-abrasion (sanding). In time It will remove that "sheen" and make everything sort of satin or flat. Lemon Pledge somewhat helps to restore gloss.

Some kinda car wash stuff in a bucket. Heavier cleaner on the chain with one of those 3 sided brushes. Plug in the leaf blower and dry. Lube chain and cable ends. WD-40 or cable lube in the key hole. Nu Finish on the plastics - minor abrasive but cleans and polishes.

Totally Awesome from the 99 cent store, along with my old teeth brush and the garden hose.

I use a general purpose cleaner such as Simple Green for the majority of the bike and WD-40 for the chain

For me cleaning the bike forces me to thoroughly inspect the bike for loose fasteners, adequate lubrication, loose spokes and general maintenance items. Otherwise the bike would be neglected between rides.

I currently have 3 air cleaners (stock plus 2 Twin Air) which I will change out every other ride.

Evil power washer and simple green.

Anticipating the finger wagging:

Yes, I'm extra certain to blast the chain, the wheel bearings , the swingarm bearings and the steering head bearings. So everybody warn me about that.

Soap and water...

A low power electric pressure washer and s100/Mr. Moto wash.

Totally Awesome from the 99 cent store, along with my old teeth brush and the garden hose.

+1 on this. It works great on grease and oil, Washes right off with water.

Scrubbing your bike.......

James_Stewart_Suzuki_Scrub12_mainimage_z

Great picture!

I just hose the bike off and use a little dish soap on a towel depending how dirty it is and rinse again. I use WD-40 on most of the metal parts and Pledge on all the plastics. Dirt comes off easier the next time around with this method.

I recently tried this stuff. http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/moto_prep.html I have yet to get the bike really dirty/muddy, but it leaves a nice shine and doesn't leave a residue. The price was right, so I decided to try it.

What do you guys think about cleaning the dirt and grime in a situation like this? Spray some degreaser or cleaner, let it soak and then hit it with the hose? I can try and attack it with a brush as well.

post-14322-0-56507800-1403403393_thumb.j

post-14322-0-12893100-1403403400_thumb.j

To the OP: I don't recall you ever talking about cleaning your bike when you still had the mighty KLR, hmmmm! I'm looking forward to the report from your big ride!

To the OP: I don't recall you ever talking about cleaning your bike when you still had the mighty KLR, hmmmm! I'm looking forward to the report from your big ride!

We leave next Sunday for 30+ days. Just got my Mightier KTM back from All American a couple of hours ago with a clean bill of health. We are MORE than ready to get on the road! (Right DanRider?)

Will post SPOT GPS links soon. You can also track us on Roger's site: WhereAmIRiding.

We leave next Sunday for 30+ days. Just got my Mightier KTM back from All American a couple of hours ago with a clean bill of health. We are MORE than ready to get on the road! (Right DanRider?)

Will post SPOT GPS links soon. Alsomon Roger's site.

Dan I peeeed on your tire while it was on the lift just so you know. :lmaosmiley:

Will post SPOT GPS links soon. Alsomon Roger's site.

Dan I peeeed on your tire while it was on the lift just so you know. :lmaosmiley:

I knew it!

Dude, I missed saying hey to you. Was in a rush to get my bike and go. Much appreciation for the work you guys did on my bike. Glad to know I'm heading out on a long ride with a solid steed.

Which brings me to the next point: How do you remove the urine smell from a KTM?