Wintyfresh

Rider dumps 1200GS, spends 2 nights at Cow Mountain OHV in NorCal

The ADVRider Thread

itOblZLl.jpg

A good reminder to carry a Spot/PLB, ride with a friend, and let someone know where you're at and when you're expected back. Fortunately the rider made it out okay, keeping my fingers crossed he recovers the bike without damage.

When I dropped the bike' date=' I couldn’t pick it up. [/quote']

He doesn't say if he was ass to the bike or facing it.....I didn't want to kick salt on his wounds, but bottom line, if he doesn't have the strength to lift it with his legs while facing away from the bike he needs to either work on beefing up his strength or trade out of the bike for something he can manage......sh*t sometimes happens when riding solo and you need to be able to drag/lift the bike when it does.....

Not to mention that you always need to be aware of your surroundings........I ride solo a lot out in BFE.....probably too much.......I try to never ride past the point of no return.....easy enough to park the bike and hike down an unknown stretch before commiting yourself to the unknown with no back up plan.......

Wow, two nights?

I see a yellow rope? Leverage? Did it fall on him and he was stuck? Guess I gotta read the storious.

Ok he's well and edumacated on adventure life.

Still trying to figure out how he got stuck. Those Boxer heads make it damn near impossible to get stuck. Furthermore it takes nothing to rock it on the head off of you less than one pushup worth

Block and tackle, buddy, and SPOT.

NEVER ride without them.

He doesn't say if he was ass to the bike or facing it.....I didn't want to kick salt on his wounds, but bottom line, if he doesn't have the strength to lift it with his legs while facing away from the bike he needs to either work on beefing up his strength or trade out of the bike for something he can manage......sh*t sometimes happens when riding solo and you need to be able to drag/lift the bike when it does.....

Not to mention that you always need to be aware of your surroundings........I ride solo a lot out in BFE.....probably too much.......I try to never ride past the point of no return.....easy enough to park the bike and hike down an unknown stretch before commiting yourself to the unknown with no back up plan.......

I have ridden Cow Mountain OHV a few times, last time about a year ago.

To his defense there is a manageable dirt road that connects between Lakeport and Ukiah. He could have made it but he got lost out there and that's easy to do. Once off of the 2 or 3 main dirt roads at Cow Mtn it's all about 450cc or less.

I've gotten plenty of pucker factor up there on my 250s and wouldn't want any bigger bike. Rutted out single track to the pegs in some places with huge oak and redwood roots crisscrossing your path, talk about a workout! Winter time is especially fun in the morning when the muddy hillside tracks are covered with an icy glaze.

Goes to show how sole dependence on technology can let things get scary quick. Always carry a topo map if you're NOT an expert on the local terrain. At COW topos are usually available in kiosks at the OHV entrance.

You sound like a pop warner football coach :skull:/>/>

NEVER ride without them.

Uh-oh.

With the rut and the wheels up it like laying a KTM down on its side being flat. So I feel the guys pain. Nothing fun about picking it up. The BMW is fat but in a hole.

Hummmm, never go down what you can't go up. Lay the bike on the ground in your driveway and see if you can pick it up?? Unload the bike before you try to upright it?? Wow, helocopter?

:unsure:

it wasn't me

I'll bet it got COLD at night

as for uprighting the bike...pull both wheels off, and you save 80 pounds, plus lower everything... tilt the bike to the left, AT LEAST to get food and water!

I dropped my Strom more than once, and at a slight off camber it was DIFFICULT to lift but not impossible. The time I dropped it on a serious off camber, I just swiveled the bike around.

I wish the guy all my best, and good luck with all the internet noise... some clown will be along shortly to say "i would've ridden it out for ya!" like he actually knows the situation! a GS1200 is no dirt bike, and with those tires.... :blink:

Seeing this thread earlier today really got me thinking about riding solo. I do it often because I didn't really have the skill set to keep up with everybody. I quickly learned on my last long Baja ride that I have been extremely lucky and it is just a bad idea . Then I saw this post:

A friend posted on FB the following:

Sorry to hear that this man, a friend of my cousins, lost his life in the BLM land outside of Grand Junction. He had been missing since Saturday, dirt bike found damaged like it had gone into a ravine, tracks showed he was dragging a leg, body found peacefully beside a hill, RIP....sad day for many who knew and loved him.

His page

We Love You Nolus

about an hour agoSearch & Rescue said that when they found Nolus, he was lying on his back upon the side of a hill. A t-shirt was rolled up behind his head for a pillow. His eyes were open and looking at the sky and his right hand was placed over his heart. His face was composed and peaceful.

I have journeyed deep with this man. Each summer we would gather in the woods to peer beyond the Veil on serious doses of psilocybin, preparing ourselves for the day that we would eventually go Home. I can say with confidence that this man knew how to die well. And the rescue team confirmed that.

He was not as lucky as Mudcat in the ADV thread. Ride on, ride safe...RIP in peace Nolus.

yellow rope, 3 trucker hitches and i can pull a truck out of the mud. This guy needs to learn a few things

This guy needs to learn a few things

There's gotta be more to the story than this one image. Pretty easy to speculate from here that this may have been the last straw in a much longer struggle. But one would think after a two-night rest one could have gotten it turned around.

So- we're missing something.

Glad the guy is OK.

NEVER ride without them.

But you have to have a sturdy anchor point for it to be any good don't you ??

NEVER ride without them.

But you have to have a sturdy anchor point for it to be any good don't you ??

remove and bury a wheel. Good anchor if all else fails. Looking at that bike, a tree branch and length of cord makes a helluva lever to lift.

Guest Crusty

If you can't lift it, you better be able to live in it!!ph34r.gif

sadly this rider passed away 2 days later. he was 66.

:( RIP

that's very sad.

I remember reading about dehydration/exhaustion & heart problems but didn't know it could happen days after recovery (if that's what caused it in his case).

that's very sad.

I remember reading about dehydration/exhaustion & heart problems but didn't know it could happen days after recovery (if that's what caused it in his case).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901176&highlight=mudcat

His brother claims it was more about his 3-pack per day smoking habit. Nice tribute in the link above. ADVrider shut down the other thread because people were debating his "mistake" of riding alone.