Bagstr

Moto Camping 2013

1364958323[/url]' post='148534']

. Also, if anyone else has a personalized checklist like Afry, please post up. It's fun to see what people bring and sometimes you see something great that maybe you hadn't thought of. I'll be working on one soon and like fresh ideas.

FYI I created my list on Evernote which is a free program for Android so I can check off as I pack. You can send your list to others or you can send it to yourself and you will have a starting point for another list so you don't have to start from scratch each time.

Good source for quality gear: Check REI OUTLET.com....you can save quite alot off retail by getting last years' model, etc.....plus if you're a member, you get occasional 20% off an item.....

My Key Gear:

TENT: I use an Asolo 2 person backpacking tent (got for a little over $100.....)

SLEEPING BAG:

I loooove my down bag, packs tiny, breaths, very warm, very lightweight....I use a 0 degree marmot year round....keep open in summer....., but i'm a chick and get cold much easier than you guys.....it was a bit pricey, even at REI outlet but I got for $230 vs, the retail at $340....., but waaaaay worth the money....

PACKING:

in the past i've used a Giant Loop Great basin on my 450 (shown in pic)...... (that bag is really made for BIG bikes, but it works fine, fits ALL my gear except tent tied to top)

I have a little more room to spare being short...my bike does have a pro moto billet rack, necessary due to no subframe in back....I love this rack too.......

FRONT: SMALL SADDLEBAG for water bottles,etc.... with neoprene that fits under gas cap, tightens down......I got mine at walmart for about $20.....made for quads I think.....works great...

.....I've since purchased the Giant Loop coyote, looking forward to trying it soon for an overnight at toro peak this month....

PA090109.jpg

.....I've since purchased the Giant Loop coyote, looking forward to trying it soon for an overnight at toro peak this month....

I picked up a Coyote too......haven't tried it out yet.....need to run over to REI or (?) for a good compression bag for my Big Agnus Hog Park sleeping bag......

Just glanced at your post on DSM.......good idea to pack/carry water shoes.....I've always tossed in some flip flops but water shoes pack just as tight and offer much more support.

Likewise, a disposable ~$1 table cloth for a ground mat is a good idea....packs down to nothing before use and offers throw and go convenience.....

You people carry too much stuff...

Oh wait...

Dan... thanks for this thread. Great info!

I often wondered how you hardcore over-nighters packed all that you do, and where on the bike.

... all good info, and even better when others start to join in and contribute. Lots of ideas floating.

I will say... I'm a hotel/motel kind of guy. I loath mosquitos, as they love me. I can't stand riding with anything more then the 20-25lb Ogio Vest I already have on... and I don't ride a big dual-sport type bike. Mostly.... I like to ride at a fast pace, elbows up. I can just see most of all that stuff coming off, and me getting a fine for littering. LOL ...I'm a "chase truck" type rider. Just safer that way, especially in a group with some unknowns.

I have used actual "Dog Packs". Slid them over my seat, and they hang on the side plates of an MX type bike. Great for carrying underwear, flip flops...light jacket. But not your tools, or anything heavy. They used to be as cheap as $20.00 ... but now that I re-open my old weblink, they've gone up to $45! http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/a16-chief-dogpack.html

.... I'm reading, and learning! ph34r.gif

I can carry everything I need in my Dirt Bagz setup

bikeshot.jpg

Including a grill

dinner.jpg

Its nice to not have a bunch of things bungee'd on and flopping around.

Trust me Johnny....nobody will laugh if you're wearing THIS around the campfire.

I mean, I hope not.....cuz I'll have one with me on any camping trips. Me and my middle kid.....the other 2, mosquitos could care less about.

Trust me Johnny....nobody will laugh if you're wearing THIS around the campfire.

I mean, I hope not.....cuz I'll have one with me on any camping trips. Me and my middle kid.....the other 2, mosquitos could care less about.

LOL... Seriously! ... I'm the guy, they can smell from 200 yards. Must be my sweet blood. heh.gif

I always carry one of these with me when camping. Never had to use it yet, but it takes up no space and only cost about 2 bucks at walmart.

CiD

post-13540-034551100 1365186587_thumb.jp

Small Bike Overnight Packing

Nomadic Rack, 35L Dry Bag, Mojavi 13L, Wolfman Enduro Duffel, ROK straps

P10209251000w-L.jpg

P10209221000w-L.jpg

P10209241000w-L.jpg

P10209301000w-L.jpg

P10209221000w-L.jpg

So I've never done any bike camping and it sounds interesting. A question - How does a semi-gravitationally challenged individual like myself get on and off such a bike?

1366238330[/url]' post='149712']
1365352920[/url]' post='148866']

P10209221000w-L.jpg

So I've never done any bike camping and it sounds interesting. A question - How does a semi-gravitationally challenged individual like myself get on and off such a bike?

Buy a ProMoto Billit kickstand and use it to get on and off the bike or do like I did for years with the bad hip and just make sure to park next to something to stand on when getting on and off the bike.

CiD

.......A question - How does a semi-gravitationally challenged individual like myself get on and off such a bike?

Well, I'm 5'4" with a 29" inseam......so not too many of you are shorter than I am....perhaps this is more "vertically" challenged, than "gravitationally".....

for me, seems to work to just swing my leg a little higher, or kind of "slide" my leg over the seat....it can be tricky...

.....the real problem is, if I drop the bike while fully loaded (as in my pic)... :blink:/>

It's a REAL challenge to pick it up by myself....but I can do it...all part of the adventure...luckily my riding buddies are awesome, and help me if really needed....

PbdBlue,

Practice at home, much like changing a tube in the field. Visualize you and your dear bike standing on the lawn; hold the bike with your left hand, practice moving the bike away and toward you, practice Swinging your right boot up to seat height, with an assistant just step through while swinging the boot up.

Now visualize yourself flat on the lawn with the fully loaded bike on you, as your assistant calls 911.

dirol.gif

Well, I'm 5'4" with a 29" inseam......so not too many of you are shorter than I am....perhaps this is more "vertically" challenged, than "gravitationally".....

for me, seems to work to just swing my leg a little higher, or kind of "slide" my leg over the seat....it can be tricky...

.....the real problem is, if I drop the bike while fully loaded (as in my pic)... :blink:/>/>/>

It's a REAL challenge to pick it up by myself....but I can do it...all part of the adventure...luckily my riding buddies are awesome, and help me if really needed....

If I remember right you have the best kickstand money can buy....step up on the peg with the stand down and then sit. Lean other way with your foot down and kick the stand up.

Kickstand.jpg

Discussion:

In the above photos, the Mojavi 13.5 liters (2013) is not fully packed. I carry my heaviest gear at that level.

I hate backpacks for riding, the smaller the better.. And those hulking Black vests,,,I don't plan of starring in an action movie, Maybe a supporting role! That sentiment expressed, this rider is resigned to using a backpack on these long camping trips. For my next trip I will pick up a larger Camelback with a 3 liter hydration setup and enough space to carry my lightweight clothing.

The Nomadic Racks rack was installed to provide more of a backstop for the duffel bags. The spare 21" HD tube hides in the removable GL bag. The rack and tube bag provide improved stability for the package.

cowboy.gif

PbdBlue,

Practice at home, much like changing a tube in the field. Visualize you and your dear bike standing on the lawn; hold the bike with your left hand, practice moving the bike away and toward you, practice Swinging your right boot up to seat height, with an assistant just step through while swinging the boot up.

Now visualize yourself flat on the lawn with the fully loaded bike on you, as your assistant calls 911.

dirol.gif

Thanks. Normally when I get on or off the bike I swing my leg over the rear fender (barely - the older I get the lower my leg swings!). Just gonna have to change the technique I guess.

I am so dissappointed!!! Where is the Shampoo :)

Here is my checklist for a 3 day, 2 night trip (this one is for upcoming Big Bear trip on 4/26 - no motels, limited restaurants)

[ ] Adventure pass

[ ] Spare bike key

[ ] Phone/charger

[ ] Camera

[ ] Comms

[ ] GPS

[ ] Extra batteries

[ ] First aid kit

[ ] Soft rag for visor

[ ] Sunglasses

[ ] Reading glasses

[ ] Map

[ ] Compass

[ ] Para cord

[ ] Duct tape

[ ] Tools

[ ] F & R tubes

[ ] Body wipes

[ ] Toiletries

[ ] Sunscreen

[ ] Deet

[ ] Pillow

[ ] Towel

[ ] Tent

[ ] Air mattress

[ ] Sleeping bag

[ ] Camp chair

[ ] Knife

[ ] Hatchet

[ ] LED Headlight

[ ] LED camp light

[ ] Firestarter

[ ] Lighter

[ ] Whiskey

[ ] Napkins

[ ] Paper plates

[ ] Salt, pepper, garlic powder

[ ] 1 Shallot

[ ] 3 Granola bars

[ ] Mayo packs

[ ] Pocket bread

[ ] 2 Tuna in bags

[ ] 2 Meals in bag

[ ] 2 Hard boiled eggs

[ ] Meal bag koozie

[ ] Spork 9"

[ ] 2 Aluminum water bottles

[ ] Jetboil

[ ] Hat

[ ] Fleece jacket

[ ] 1 pr socks

[ ] 1 Convertible nylon pants

And here is my 8 day, 7 night trip list for a Sierra's trip in August (no motels, limited restaurants)

[ ] Adventure pass

[ ] NF campfire permit

[ ] Spare bike key

[ ] Camera

[ ] Comms

[ ] GPS

[ ] Extra batteries

[ ] Phone charger

[ ] First aid kit

[ ] Soft rag for visor

[ ] Sunglasses

[ ] Reading glasses

[ ] Map

[ ] Compass

[ ] Phone

[ ] Para cord

[ ] Duct tape

[ ] Tools

[ ] F & R tubes

[ ] Trowel

[ ] Body wipes

[ ] Toilet paper

[ ] Toiletries

[ ] Sunscreen

[ ] Deet

[ ] Pillow

[ ] Towel

[ ] Tent

[ ] Mesh bag

[ ] Air mattress

[ ] Sleeping bag

[ ] Camp chair

[ ] Knife

[ ] Hatchet

[ ] LED Headlight

[ ] LED camp light

[ ] Firestarter

[ ] Lighter

[ ] Whiskey

[ ] Napkins

[ ] Paper plates

[ ] 2 Shallots

[ ] 3 Serrano Peppers

[ ] Dried apricots

[ ] 8 Granola bars

[ ] Babybel cheese

[ ] Small salami

[ ] Rice crackers

[ ] Mayo packs

[ ] Pocket bread

[ ] 3 Tuna in bags

[ ] 6 Meals in bag

[ ] Meal bag koozie

[ ] Spork 9"

[ ] Jetboil

[ ] Hat

[ ] Fleece jacket

[ ] Camp shoes

[ ] 2 T shirts - poly

[ ] 2 socks

[ ] 2 underwear

I am so dissappointed!!! Where is the Shampoo smile.gif

By the time I got done with my list it was gone! heh.gif

DSCN0459-M.jpg

Dry Wx Touring/Camp without Watershed Dry Bag

x2 OR stuffsacks/ x2 Rotopax/ x2 Wofman Dry Expeditions

IMG_2759-M.jpg

Wet Camping (expected)

Same as above w/Watershed Dry Bag

IMG_2798-M.jpg

Top: Watershed dry Bag (if needed)

Outdoor Research Stuff Sack w/Eureka 2xt Tent, Thermarest NeoAIR and folding camp chair.

Outdoor Research Stuff Sack w/Sleeping bag, Marmot Precip Rain Gear Pants / Jacket, MTN HDW Insulated pants/jacket, OR hat, OR gloves, Petzl headlamp.

Rt Side: Rotopax 1gal H20, w/Wolfman Expedition Dry Bag w/8-10 Mountain house, Ramen, LG Jetboil, spork, matches, fire paste, headlamp.

L Side: Rotopax 1gal fuel, w/Wolfman Expedition Dry Bag w/4x zip off pants/expedition shirts, flops, shower kit. (rain gear, headlamp on top)

Ogio Vest w:

Front: SPOT Tracker, Camera, GMRS/FRS Radio, Torx/Ratchets, Driver/Vice Grips, Spark Plug, Fuses, Spare GPS, Iphone w/spare juice, Batteries, powerbars, headlamp.

Back: 1LG Camelback, F/R tubes, inflation kit, tire levers, JB weld, clamps, xtra levers, Fork Seals, Head Bearings, Brake Pads, Throttle Cable, Zip Ties and break fluid. Med Kit

Still has room for 2xMSR of fluid/fuel if needed. Spreadloads tools into a comfortable vest/workable platform w/o breaking into the bike bags.

I can go up to two weeks easily on road/trail if not more, just need to replenish food/water/gas ( Easy to come by when empty, unless off road the whole time). Obviously, if I don't need it, well, I don't bring it or replenish at stores. This is a camping setup w/a planned destination. Not a weekend riding setup. Go light whenever possible and use hotels/hostels and cheap ass food!

Here is my checklist for a 3 day, 2 night trip (this one is for upcoming Big Bear trip on 4/26 - no motels, limited restaurants)

[ ] Adventure pass

[ ] Spare bike key

[ ] Phone/charger

[ ] Camera

[ ] Comms

[ ] GPS

[ ] Extra batteries

[ ] First aid kit

[ ] Soft rag for visor

[ ] Sunglasses

[ ] Reading glasses

[ ] Map

[ ] Compass

[ ] Para cord

[ ] Duct tape

[ ] Tools

[ ] F & R tubes

[ ] Body wipes

[ ] Toiletries

[ ] Sunscreen

[ ] Deet

[ ] Pillow

[ ] Towel

[ ] Tent

[ ] Air mattress

[ ] Sleeping bag

[ ] Camp chair

[ ] Knife

[ ] Hatchet

[ ] LED Headlight

[ ] LED camp light

[ ] Firestarter

[ ] Lighter

[ ] Whiskey

[ ] Napkins

[ ] Paper plates

[ ] 1 Shallot

[ ] 3 Granola bars

[ ] Mayo packs

[ ] Pocket bread

[ ] 2 Tuna in bags

[ ] 2 Meals in bag

[ ] 2 Hard boiled eggs

[ ] Meal bag koozie

[ ] Spork 9"

[ ] Jetboil

[ ] Hat

[ ] Fleece jacket

[ ] 1 pr socks

And here is my 8 day, 7 night trip list for a Sierra's trip in August (no motels, limited restaurants)

[ ] Adventure pass

[ ] NF campfire permit

[ ] Spare bike key

[ ] Camera

[ ] Comms

[ ] GPS

[ ] Extra batteries

[ ] Phone charger

[ ] First aid kit

[ ] Soft rag for visor

[ ] Sunglasses

[ ] Reading glasses

[ ] Map

[ ] Compass

[ ] Phone

[ ] Para cord

[ ] Duct tape

[ ] Tools

[ ] F & R tubes

[ ] Trowel

[ ] Body wipes

[ ] Toilet paper

[ ] Toiletries

[ ] Sunscreen

[ ] Deet

[ ] Pillow

[ ] Towel

[ ] Tent

[ ] Mesh bag

[ ] Air mattress

[ ] Sleeping bag

[ ] Camp chair

[ ] Knife

[ ] Hatchet

[ ] LED Headlight

[ ] LED camp light

[ ] Firestarter

[ ] Lighter

[ ] Whiskey

[ ] Napkins

[ ] Paper plates

[ ] 2 Shallots

[ ] 3 Serrano Peppers

[ ] Dried apricots

[ ] 8 Granola bars

[ ] Babybel cheese

[ ] Small salami

[ ] Rice crackers

[ ] Mayo packs

[ ] Pocket bread

[ ] 3 Tuna in bags

[ ] 6 Meals in bag

[ ] Meal bag koozie

[ ] Spork 9"

[ ] Jetboil

[ ] Hat

[ ] Fleece jacket

[ ] Camp shoes

[ ] 2 T shirts - poly

[ ] 2 socks

[ ] 2 underwear

Wow buddy you got the complete list there! If it gets too cold you can always set up shop in my shed, always unlocked :wacko:

You guys have a blast, wish I could meet up. Next time! The trails are amazing (and dusty) at present, you'll be happy with the scenery and lack of crowds.

Time to get ready for Summer Travel.

DSCN04561000w-L.jpg

DSCN04671000w-L.jpg

85 hrs, Valves are within spec . I put in a new plug, just because.

DSCN04601000w-L.jpg