robertaccio

Pay extra for good tie downs

I bought a set of "soft" ties with the loop on them for the bars. The nylon webbing is very smooth and the spring clamps have a tendency to slip on them (cheaper brand). 99.9% of the time I run the tag ends back through the clamps/buckle thing than wrap and tie them around the straps. Well last night I needed to just take the new 310 a few blocks away and strapped it on and took off. Rounded the second corner and one very new with brand new graphics 310 went flying off the trailer, grinding the rear fender down on one side and shatering the OEM led rear $100 tail lite. Stupid stupid issue. Semi my fault, OK my fault. But If I had payed the extra bucks for better tie downs this would not have happened. I am thinking of sanding those tie downs to rough up the webbing.... I am not happy, if I thrash the thing through rocks and scratch it up thats fine, but trailer to street damage is BS. Plus it was in front of God and everyone, it was a traffic stopper, if no-one saw it it would not have been as bad!!!.

PS the title should read PAY EXTRA

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about... haven't had any hit the ground yet, but had them flop around...

........ trying to find a "positive" to say... like... "good thing the bike isn't new"... or "it's just a DRZ at least"... or "good thing it wasn't in traffic"

nope... nothin'

:unsure:

Being a rigger by trade and having hung several million LBS

all I can say is you get what you pay for

the load ratings are listed on those items, but I ALWAYS build in a personal safety factor = considered to be a SHOCK LOAD

- not mention the legality of causing a freeway accident

I usually tie a half hitch with remaining strap, and jam it into the cam of the ratchet for added security regardless of rating

unfortunately I have been trained to assume the worst case scenario, thats how I treat suspended elements over peoples heads

But my orange baby is right up there with one of the more valuable possessions

RD

That sucks. I also take the extra strap from the ratchet and tie a second safety attachment.

Agreed !

Sucks about losing the bike off the carrier.

Ancra are some of the best also, and they last for years !

And everybody (like BikeSlut) laughs at me when I bind up my tie-downs.

I also convert all the hooks to carabiners.

just to be clear... I laugh at you because you are SO different than I am in the way you secure your bike... and your gear... and your tie-downs

If my 20 year old tie down is flapping in the wind, I'm ok as long as it doesn't drag on the road... for long anyway

furthermore- I have NO DOUBT your way is the more responsible and safer way to do it... when I grow up, I wanna be just like you :king:

it's just "not me"

I try to be mature and responsible all week; It's a lot of work to do it on the weekend too...

Paul, that's some great advice also, especially the carabiners....I haven't done that.

People laugh at me when I always use 4 tiedowns per bike....but what's your bike going to do in the back of your truck if you have to swerve in an emergency or by chance run off the road in your truck ? Don't think 2 tiedowns will do the job then.

:heh:

ok-- I couldn't keep a straight face... when I said "I try to be mature and responsible all week..."

some of my team reads this site, and they won't let me get away with claiming that...

I'm immature and irresponsible pretty much all the time... good thing I play in a mature band...

On the trailer, I use two lengths of chain with carabiners- they attach to each footpeg and down to the trailer. Clip in one side, then lean the bike over (just pull on the bars) to compress the suspension and clip the other side. Bike is ROCK SOLID. Then I use tiedowns as well, but they're usually just snug or even loose.

Cut to hooks off the tiedowns and use 'biners like this:

tiedown.jpg

Robert- glad it was not worse....

I always go for the wider straps myself. I feel the weakest point of the whole system in the tensioner on the strap, not the hook or the carabiner. I always replace them every year because the tensioner springs wear and it will start to slip on any strap so i just replace. Ktm makes some sweet 2 inch wide straps and i use them. The beaners are nice for the sudden loosening up of the strap so you don't loose your hook point so the ktm straps i buy come with them as well.

My bike is on the trailer right now with 6 tiedowns, I know it seems stupid but even in an enclosed trailer I use 4 straps. I had a towing company for a few years and have seen strange things.

More secure is more better. Bummer about dropping the poor little bike, I will be looking into Ancra's now.

Dang, sorry to hear that. Had a friends brand new bike fall out of my trailer, he tied his and I didn't check, with his own cheap imitation. Its a terrible sound listening to a bike bounce down the road. I use these now on all bikes that I carry and they are quite long too.

DSCF0418.jpg

Not Ancras but also good quality. Got em from Dave at Sportcycle when he was still around, don't know the brand.

These are the ones I bought on Joliet's recommendation.

63fb9d9a-21e6-47b1-a3bb-9b7cd753d337_300.jpg

HOME DEPOT LINK HERE

Nice tiedowns: Very solid ratchet mechanism (easy to manipulate with gloves on), Soft loop that go around your handlebars and clips back onto the D-ring. Clips on both ends (these aren't coming off when the suspension compresses). I've been using them for a few years and have had no problems. They work great on snowmobiles too!

Once the bike falls the first time you're never going to to trust a tie down strap again. Regardless of how much you spent on it. The cost of a tie down strap is a minute fraction of the cost of your bike. So I overcame that insecurity and mounted my motorcycle inboard like this....

100_1243.jpg

I could basically lay the bike in on it's side and it'll never fall out.

A motovan is true peace of mind when hauling a motorcycle.

I'll never go back to pickup/trailer/joe hauler again.

PASTA WINS LOL

Agreed.

I'm looking at Craigslist right now for used vans. blush.gif

That's being factitious, folks. Not flaming or trolling.party.gif

Plus it was in front of God and everyone, it was a traffic stopper, if no-one saw it it would not have been as bad!!!.

The many emotions of Robert on that day: First :blink:, then :blush:, followed by :crying_anim02:, and finally :angry2:.

We like the ProTaper tie downs. They swivel on one end to so you don't have to deal with twisted tie downs. I suppose the swivel part would be the weakest link, but they claim a 1200 lb tensile strength.

post-1009-082356000 1328541414_thumb.jpg

I know I am a Luddite and I really do use regular tie downs but I always keep a good rope in the truck.

This knot has been time tested by many a hauler for many years. It has a block and tackle like pull down advantage.

Go to the bottom of the page and play the video.

http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

:lol: I pyro'd out too Corral canyon one time, and got a flat on the trail... rode the bike (no tubes/patch kit :angry: ) to the street, and called my FIL to pick me up

"please bring a ramp, and some tie downs"... he showed up with some bungees and a 4' long 2x4...

I was able to pop up the front tire, and shove the bike in "without the ramp :rolleyes: " but the bungees were just funny

we decided to just have a bunch of bungee cords, and let the bike flop in the breeze

as for the van plan... agreed it is a great way to transport a bike, but not so great for basketball goals, refrigerators, boxed ficus trees, etc.

I'll keep the truck and trailer combination

also makes you less scary looking to parents... like the first time I picked up hucker to go riding... his parents wanted to meet me before letting him go riding

well... yeah... so would I...

I checked the tie downs, they are one of the good brands and made in USA. they just built them with very smooth webbing and it slips easily through the buckles.

I am thinking about taking a light sanding to them to rough the surface a little, besides all the extra tying I usually do anyway.(that I did not do for the street launch!)

Also the cost of new husky tail lite assy (LED) is @ 100 bucks. I went to the store and bought that cheesey red tail lite repair tape and did a neat repair with one strip across the assy and one each on top and bottom to finish it off, then used black electric tape and went around the base and edge sealed the red stuff. It actually looks pretty good. Not as pretty as the cool OEM lens but good enough for a dirt bike!

I will get those ProTaper or the FMF brand type tiedowns to supplement my collection ( I all ready have carabiners on all my tie downs).

As for that knot website, I use the fishermans knot site all the time, those animations are great. This one and others of the same type, good stuff.

http://www.netknots.com/html/albright_special.html

:lol: I pyro'd out too Corral canyon one time, and got a flat on the trail... rode the bike (no tubes/patch kit :angry: ) to the street, and called my FIL to pick me up

"please bring a ramp, and some tie downs"... he showed up with some bungees and a 4' long 2x4...

I was able to pop up the front tire, and shove the bike in "without the ramp :rolleyes: " but the bungees were just funny

we decided to just have a bunch of bungee cords, and let the bike flop in the breeze

as for the van plan... agreed it is a great way to transport a bike, but not so great for basketball goals, refrigerators, boxed ficus trees, etc.

I'll keep the truck and trailer combination

also makes you less scary looking to parents... like the first time I picked up hucker to go riding... his parents wanted to meet me before letting him go riding

well... yeah... so would I...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gqtmLchGM

"A Horse...A Horse...My Kingdom for a Horse."

The Bard

(Shakespeare)

"A Rope...A Rope...My Kingdom for a Rope."

Zenosan