piratemonkey

Planning for the TAT

I had planned to ride the Trans America trail back in 2008 with some friends. Sadly, John-Mark, the driving force of our group, was killed in a track accident (some of you may have known him; he made a few SDAR posts) so the TAT was put on hold.

Fast forward to almost three years later. Turns out that Wayne also had always wanted to do that trip so we've made it our goal to do it this autumn, probably mid to late September. We're going to ride the DRZs, which should be well-suited for the trip (unless there are very technical stretches unbeknownst to us). I have the maps that Sam Correro sells so we just need to plan out the parts not on the map (we're going to start in SD).

Wayne has bike-camped before so he'll deal with the logistics of that as well as prepare for potential trailside repairs.

My job is to deal with the dog.

That is correct. I said the dog.

About two years ago I adopted a Jack Russell Terrier from a family who couldn't keep him anymore. He has mild separation anxiety -- thinks that if a family could unload him after eight years, then certainly we could drop him into a Goodwill Donation box and laugh loudly while squealing the tires as we drove off. I sort of don't want to damage his psyche any more than it already is. But as luck would have it, his abandonment complex dovetails well with our fondness for him -- we think it would be fun to have him along for 30 days of singing campfire songs, sneaking into no-pet motels, claiming he's a seeing-eye dog in restaurants, using him as a diversionary tactic with hungry bears, etc. etc.

I've trained him to sit in a backpack while I'm riding a mountain bike and he's extremely calm about it. My next goal is to ride around with him on the motorcycle so he gets used to that. I don't anticipate a problem with this transition since he's calm around running motorcycles. I'd prefer he be in a backpack because whoever's carrying him can act as another layer of shock absorption.

My plan is to take a large hiker's backpack and modify it with mesh screening so he's enclosed and comfortable. I will make panels for it that can be velcroed shut in case it's cold and I'll also create some sort of rain cover.

So...if you have any insights about having a 15 pound dog attached to you for many days in a row, do tell.

More TAT notes and questions to come. There's a lot to work out in this "John-Mark Would Approve Of A Dualsporting Dog" memorial ride.

I'd prefer he be in a backpack because whoever's carrying him can act as another layer of shock absorption.

Unless that somebody fell on the backpack side of their body....then the absorption would be reversed.

Wow. This doesn't seem all that odd considering the people on the ride. I can't wait for the write up! I usually cry through my laughter at your posts. Maybe you can find a few foodies on your route to recommend the best Pancakes with a side of .....

What about the padded platform with a detachable harness on the tank?

I used to ride my BMX bike with my pet rat on my shoulder... he SEEMED to enjoy it. When I would crash, he was nimble enough to scamper to the high side.

My Boston Terrier rode with my a few times, sitting on the seat in front of me; front legs on the tank, rear legs straddling the seat

Desert racer back in the day used to RACE with his dog on the tank... I think the "with" and "attached" is another thing.. I would feel better if the dog was "free", but look forward to the ride report either way

You may want to somehow get in touch with Mike about riding with a doggie, he may have some good ideas or insight. No doubt he has the most experience doubling up with his dog Opee.

http://photo.mpora.com/motocross/collections/opee-the-motocross-dog/

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/MotoRelated,20/ESPNs-image-of-the-week,797413

I met them at Elsinore a few years back and my friend's meat distribution company "sponsored" Opee with some great bones to gnaw on.

Who said Jack Russell?

This is my second, my first was my bachelor dog, Ray. Best date bait in the world. This is Midas, a rescue with similar issues. But all Jack Russells have issues- they're famous for that.

midasballbeach.jpg

Zina, I've done the TAT from eastern Colorado to the Oregon Coast......if you need any advice or have any questions, let me know.

As far as the dog......go for it, but I'd suggest a tankbag for the dog instead of doggie in the backpack.

"So...if you have any insights about having a 15 pound dog attached to you for many days in a row, do tell"

This is my second, my first was my bachelor dog, Ray.

I think we have a winner.....no pics plz. :ph34r:

Another great Dog book is "The Art of racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

Don't know that one...I'll check it out. Thanks.

Here's what I'm concerned about if he's strapped to the bike: whooped-out stuff. If it goes on for a few miles, he'll be basically flying up and slamming back down, over and and over. I don't think he has enough mass to ride out some of this stuff. The dog also won't be reading the terrain to know when to prepare himself for hard hits; he'll just be randomly surprised by uncomfortable impacts.

The backpack won't be totally soft; it'll have some structure and if the rider goes down on his or her back, the dog won't be totally crushed. I'd be just as concerned that something strapped onto the bike could break off or slide to one side, with the bike ending up on top of it. The pack I'm currently using has an inverted plastic stool at the bottom to give it structure and rigidity. I learned that if the bottom isn't a firm platform, the dog keeps shifting around. Another layer of foam goes on top of this so he's comfortable:

post-0-067095600 1296089478_thumb.jpg

Here my 20-yr-old pack with him in it. The motorcycle version won't be open like this. Been looking around at different backpacks and nothing jumps out at me as the right one yet.

post-0-001394200 1296089424_thumb.jpg

Again, just thinking out loud and accepting all comments. The dog will be going through shorter dualsport-camping excursions in the next few months -- a sort of doggy boot camp. If he can't cut it then we'll need to get him a sitter.

Who wants to foster parent a nutty JRT for a month?...

You need to know Megan Karnes. She's a pro trainer in Poway who works extensively with rescued JRTs. She'd be happy to board your dog there- ours has done it for a few weeks at a time and is always THRILLED to return. If only I could convince my wife and son to make that a more permanent arrangement.

Tell her Paul and Midas sent you:

meagan@collared-scholar.com

That awesome Zina! I've got a little guy that loves to ride. He's a chihuahua-maltese mix.

Here we are heading out on the KTM. He just hangs on the tank and will go anywhere. If it gets bumpy I just kinda grab him with my legs.

-

meandopie.jpg

I've thought about making him a sweater with velcro and just pinning him to my chest protector

Zina, are you starting the TAT from the start in Tenessee, or starting in Colorado ?

Here was my dog Dopey who used to ride with me........

post-2-064295800 1296093444_thumb.jpg

Maybe you can find a few foodies on your route to recommend the best Pancakes with a side of .....

Hahahaha! Just realized why you said this. Yes, I am always in search of pancakes served with a big heapin' of ballz.

On a related food note, we haven't decided how to deal with Simon's (the dog's) food. He's got a moderately sensitive digestive system and I've been feeding him a dog food that's not even carried in the chains like Petsmart or Petco. When I first got him I fed him Iams but that tied his gut up in knots (the intestinal noises were loud and weird) and he wouldn't move all day -- I can only assume extreme discomfort was involved.

We can either try to pack all his food for the trip, or we can transition him to something we can find in regular grocery stores (and take our chances). Not sure which one to do yet. It just seems awful to be feel sick and get stuck bouncing for eight hours.

Zina, are you starting the TAT from the start in Tenessee, or starting in Colorado ?

We're going to head up to Colorado from San Diego and take it from there. When we get to Oregon, we'll come back on back roads some other way. We may need to enlist people's help with this. I'm sure we'll also have TAT-specific questions for you. We have so many things to sort out we're actually a tad overwhelmed.

I could probably post on advrider and get some help, but there's something about that site that makes me avoid it...seems like people can be fairly quick to jump down other people's throats. Planning the trip is enough work -- I'm not down with a giant dose of buzzkill from the faceless mass.

Well, it will make for an even Better than Usual Ride Report with the Dog along.....Jack Russels are invincible !!...but You need to get him a Helmet for sure...:ph34r:

That sounds like a great trip :good::dance2: ......wish I had more free time

Do I need to see if "guest" dogs are allowed at Bar 10? :unsure::coolio:

We're going to head up to Colorado from San Diego and take it from there. When we get to Oregon, we'll come back on back roads some other way. We may need to enlist people's help with this. I'm sure we'll also have TAT-specific questions for you. We have so many things to sort out we're actually a tad overwhelmed.

Zina, I did a bunch of dirt roads down the Lost Coast of NorCal, using a 4wd book I got for coastal routes.....was awesome ! I can help you out with that.

Here's another TAT RR for you to check out To the West Coast & Beyond. This was done by my friend Denis last year. He's doing it again this year with his dad. He ended in Oregon and then made his way down to San Diego for a visit so he may have some good tracks you can use.

Here's an ADV thread you may be interested in Riding with a dog? Pet carrier ideas?

Thanks again, everybody, for your contributions. I'll be going through those links today and learning what I can.

I stopped by REI today and looked at all the backpacks available. Most of the packs nowadays are made with ripstop nylon (makes sense: light and waterproof). The Mountainsmith pack I have is cordura, which adds a bit more structure to the pack than nylon does. I'll start with the cordura one in the prototyping process -- who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be ideal.

A note about trying to put the dog on the tank: we have aftermarket Clark tanks which have a fairly steep slope. Could be uncomfortable to try to rest on.

Gotta tell ya- I just don't think this is a good idea. I love the TAT, I love dogs, but I don't think the two should be combined. I don't think the dog would enjoy it, and the potential for injury is too great for all involved. Find a good boarding situation and you and the dog will be much happier.

There, I've typed it.

Whatever you decide, it's obviously up to you, and I've been wrong before- just ask my wife, she'll confirm. rolleyes.gif

Thanks again, everybody, for your contributions. I'll be going through those links today and learning what I can.

I stopped by REI today and looked at all the backpacks available. Most of the packs nowadays are made with ripstop nylon (makes sense: light and waterproof). The Mountainsmith pack I have is cordura, which adds a bit more structure to the pack than nylon does. I'll start with the cordura one in the prototyping process -- who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be ideal.

A note about trying to put the dog on the tank: we have aftermarket Clark tanks which have a fairly steep slope. Could be uncomfortable to try to rest on.

Wayne is a competent machinist, he should be able to come up with a doggie rack for the tank. I would much rather have the dog in front of me than behind. Not only that...you can smile at each other regularly while enjoying the ride. :rolleyes: