piratemonkey

Back to the roots

Back in the 90s I used to cycle just about every day. I loved being on two wheels but my legs would get tired from pedaling up and down the hills of San Francisco. It's not like I was genetically gifted and all that cranking ever got easy. Still, the flow of being on two wheels was zen, even as I approached another hill that sort of made me want to cry.

I eventually transitioned to two wheels with a motor jammed into the frame. I wouldn't call myself lazy, but I have to admit to being smitten by the lack of physical effort involved. Except for the occasional ride, I pretty much abandoned cycling. Pedaling was for suckers!

Fast forward over a decade later. Here I am rehabbing from a bad case of hip tendonitis and cycling is the least destructive way for me to get back into working out. I started riding my hard tail but the jostling was exacerbating a bulging disc; I would immediately lose feeling in both hands. Perhaps if the ride weren't so harsh, the impinged nerve wouldn't get hammered as much; so began my interest in full-suspension mountain bikes.

I ended up test riding an Ibis and I was floored by the difference. It's like I had been riding a golf cart and then hopped into a luxury 4WD (if there is such a thing). I don't think I've ever noticed such a huge difference in anything I've ever ridden. Not only did it soak up the bumps, but the traction is amazing. I'm a spitter: put me on a steep hill and watch me make the back tire spit again and again. Tell me to keep my weight back and to pedal smoothly and blah blah blah and I'll continue to show you how traction and I are like two ships passing in the night. But now with the full suspension I foresee a future of not flopping over on hills like a dying fish. Maybe I'm easily amazed, but I'm amazed. Why did nobody tell me to get one sooner? Why was no one looking out for my maximization of fun? Well, I'm here now as your friend to tell you that if you like mountain biking at all, you should try a full suspension.

To you veterans who insist that a hard tail is good enough, I agree if you're all that and a bag of chips. For those of us who are all that minus the bag of chips, full suspension is a beautiful tool of compensation.

I think I'm prattling but I'm stoked. I feel like I'm getting back to my roots.

post-1009-059128900 1295460045_thumb.jpg

Regarding the lack of pedals: I had Speedplay Frogs put on, but the spindle is too short for my splayed right foot. I'm trying to get a set with the longest spindle possible so my heel can clear the crankarm.

I had a GT i-drive (too cross country oriented) and Fisher Joshua (too play bike oriented) and an Intense (too downhill oriented)

Plus my hardtails- 2 Fishers, Custom Steel Framed... and my road tandem and mountain bike tandem

My problem with pedaling (I use platform pedals for everything) is that you have to do it often to not suck... ONCE a week was barely enough, and left no time for dirtbiking

Modern full-sus bikes are way better, but you still have to do it... GREAT cross-training for dirtbiking; both in cardio, and balance, but also in reaction times... biffs happen a lot faster on a bicycle; if you can keep one of those upright, bikes seem a lot easier.

That's a nice bike Zina... not that I had any doubt you would get a nice bike. Your stable is enviable

NICE!!!!!!

I agree, full-suspension has come a long way and is the only way to go. My current (cross-country) ride is a Santa Cruz Blur LT2 and with 5 1/2 inches of travel, both front and back, it still climbs like a dream (well, for what I paid for it, it should climb all by itself :heh: ).

OK, now lets go ride!

Plus my hardtails- 2 Fishers, Custom Steel Framed... and my road tandem and mountain bike tandem

I have a Fisher Big Sur -- it's 10 years old but held up well despite episodic maintenance. I was looking at Fisher full suspension bikes before I strayed over to Ibis.

NICE!!!!!!

I agree, full-suspension has come a long way and is the only way to go. My current (cross-country) ride is a Santa Cruz Blur LT2 and with 5 1/2 inches of travel, both front and back, it still climbs like a dream (well, for what I paid for it, it should climb all by itself :heh: ).

For the price, the bike should climb by itself AND make me espresso every single morning! I had to justify the purchase with the rationalization that it'll be the last mountain bike I'll ever buy. By the time I "outgrow" it I'm pretty sure my workouts will consist of moving my eyes to watch TV.

NICE!!!!!!

OK, now lets go ride!

Big Sur was one of my hardtails... but I blew up a rim about every ride; so I relegated that to street bike duty...you weigh a bit less than I do :coolio:

also- the Fisher full-sus bikes end up a little bit "compromised"... for the most part

You picked a great bike

NICE!!!!!!

OK, now lets go ride!

Put something together.mtn.biking with Sdar might be fun.

Excellent color choice.

What's the ballpark cost on something like that?

Excellent color choice.

About the cost of A Ballpark!

Also, that frame and swing arm are Art.

Put something together.mtn.biking with Sdar might be fun.

We should have a triathlon out at Corral Canyon: mountain biking, dirt biking, beer drinking.

Excellent color choice.

Four large -- probably more than the two DRZs are worth. I'm considering this expensive physical therapy where I get to keep the equipment. B)

Looks familiar..

Fully pimped out.

a5a839e5.jpg

672e0170.jpg

It's for sale: $2100 (My co-workers bike)

Carbon fiber forks, handlebars

Adjustable seat post

XT crank set

SRAM components

Formula brakes

$1k on this one...

8f509b00.jpg

We should have a triathlon out at Corral Canyon: mountain biking, dirt biking, beer drinking.

:heh: Been there, done that (sans the beer)...

Saturday is always my mtn biking day - gotta pedal to earn the throttle on Sunday :coolio:

Anyone who wants to ride, let me know.....

What a beautiful Ibis. I rode a friends Ibis up out of Anderson, it pedaled like butter spreads. I have Ibis envy. I've got a Giant Trance X1 and it's nice but that Ibis was better($). I try to ride the KTM on Sat and the Giant every other day. A SDAR ride would be fun, Mt Laguna or 6th Grade Camp up to Sunrise ?

wow those things are works of rolling art!! My more pedestrian Specialized FSR has been collecting lots of dust,,,,,maybe an SDAR ride (I know we have some rather sporty* MTB riders here)....... I like that Tri idea!!! BIKE(MTN) BIKE(MOTO) BEER(heavy and dark)

sporty* upper level

:ph34r:

My computer seems to have gone Kaputz! I apparently stumbled unto a foreign language site. I have no clue what the discussion is about. According to the photo I am guessing it is about bicycles. Nothing I can recognize though.

:torch:

:ph34r:

My computer seems to have gone Kaputz! I apparently stumbled unto a foreign language site. I have no clue what the discussion is about. According to the photo I am guessing it is about bicycles. Nothing I can recognize though.

Eeeewwww...I know what you mean! Things that have two wheels and no engine are too other-worldly for me! :bigeyed:

"We should have a triathlon out at Corral Canyon: mountain biking, dirt biking, beer drinking."

We could do a team thing. I would do the motorcycle part. :heh:

Wow! Nice bike! :good: Mtn bikes are the dual sports of bikes because you can ride them on or off road.

It's pretty sad but I ride my mtn bike way more than either one of my motos. One hour out my front door and I had pretty good bike ride. One hour won't even get me to the trail head these days to ride the 'dirtbike'. I know I could fire up the dual sport and ride to the ride but highway 5 or 8 on an xr :crazy: is not my idea of riding or fun. Have fun on that thing and be careful.

Awesome bike Zina. We'll have to get together for a Bear Park ride soon.

Wayne and I actually hightailed it out there late this afternoon for the maiden voyage. We rode for just under an hour and the bike was stellar.

Wayne says he saw a coyote the size of a German Shepherd and couldn't believe that I didn't see it. Could it be that the backside of a certain mountain biker was completely eclipsing my view? <_<