cardiffchris

good service bad service.

the worst shop in town, is one i would never step into except to waste their time. KAWASAKI SHOP IN ENCINITAS those people are just plain jerks. ive never in my life been treated so poorly. i think i know bad service since ive been to gp motorcycles and fun bike center. those guy are kooks too! the buttheads around this city make me want to set up a shop of my own. my new place for service is KON TIKI. MOTORCYCLE GALLERY is a nice used street bike shop with good people. they fixed my tire once in an hour when others said call us next week. im so tired of warehouse motorcycle shops that have gotten too big for their britches on our money.

Motoworld El Cajon: fair to good (depending on who you deal with in the store and)

CMC in Santee; fair / good deals on gear but limited on bike parts they stock, mostly geared towards the quad culture.

Veys in Lakeside; Good / He is very helpful, he specializes in quads but services bikes too and he can answer any carb questions you might ask.

Cycle Gear on fletcher pkwy in El Cajon: good deals and decent customer service.

Two Wheel Tire Store on mission Gorge in Santee; Great Service and Bob is a nice guy. Someone said he was going to close down but the last time I rode by the store was open.

Precision Concepts in Santee: A little pricey but they did a great job on the suspension work for my pig.

I've found that the quickest and usually the cheapest place to get parts is at: http://bikebandit.com/

and here is a link to another decent place to get "Stuff": http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Just my 2 cents

RIDE ON!

Guy named Luke came by my post at Mesa Grande during the charity ride. We were talking, and then he tells me just had a flat repaired. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! Changed the rear inner tube, and took a link out of his chain. RAMONA PERFORMANCE bikes. OUCH!!!!!!!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Guy named Luke came by my post at Mesa Grande during the charity ride. We were talking, and then he tells me just had a flat repaired. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! Changed the rear inner tube, and took a link out of his chain. RAMONA PERFORMANCE bikes. OUCH!!!!!!!

Last time I rode by that shop I was compelled to flip them off. Gunner was behind me laughing, now I know what made me do it, I thought it was the orange.

the worst place I have been is motoworld of El Cajon. I ordered a fender from them and they didn't tell me it would take 6 months for me to get it. I like sportcycles in La Mesa. They are a retail store and they are always friendly and willing to help you. For riding gear I looked up the cheapest prices on the internet and went to them and they matched it.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Madd racing in Vista Ca. Awsome shop. They just completed my CR 500. They did a complete re build of my 91 suspenssion replacing all bearings, re valve for MX. re weld frame and powder coat. Its hard to tell its a 16 year old bike.When I got the bill it was a lot less than I expected. Next year they are going to re build my whole, motor not that it needs it. :D:P

the worst place I have been is motoworld of El Cajon. I ordered a fender from them and they didn't tell me it would take 6 months for me to get it. I like sportcycles in La Mesa. They are a retail store and they are always friendly and willing to help you. For riding gear I looked up the cheapest prices on the internet and went to them and they matched it.

I had an awsome experiance at Motoworld of El Cajon. I saw an add OTD. CRF 150 2,371.00$ Bought it over the phone, did the long drive from Carlsbad, but was outa there in 15 minutes with a brand new bike for my wife. :D:D

post-465-1176607345_thumb.jpg

post-465-1176607389_thumb.jpg

my new place for service is KON TIKI.

That's a GREAT call Chris, Alex is one of the best in the busuiness. He is a certified KTM mechanic (came from Rocket) and he took-over this shop from his Mom & Dad. You guys that ride the more popular brands should probably stay away though, that way he'll have some time to squeeze MY bikes in once in a while :D

That's a GREAT call Chris, Alex is one of the best in the busuiness. He is a certified KTM mechanic (came from Rocket) and he took-over this shop from his Mom & Dad. You guys that ride the more popular brands should probably stay away though, that way he'll have some time to squeeze MY bikes in once in a while :D

I'd check him out, if my popular brand bikes ever needed repair. :D

I'd check him out, if my popular brand bikes ever needed repair. :P

:P From reading your posts, it sounds like you are "Tommy-on-the-spot" with the trailside repairs! You always seem to be able to get 'em running again with just a multi-tool, some bird feces, and a little spit (God bless ALL Navy Chiefs):D I'll ride with you anytime bro :D

I have the opposite motto: "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so NOBODY can fix it *gimme that hammer - no the BIG one!*" :D:P:D:P:D

Motoworld El Cajon: fair to good (depending on who you deal with in the store and)

CMC in Santee; fair / good deals on gear but limited on bike parts they stock, mostly geared towards the quad culture.

Veys in Lakeside; Good / He is very helpful, he specializes in quads but services bikes too and he can answer any carb questions you might ask.

Cycle Gear on fletcher pkwy in El Cajon: good deals and decent customer service.

Two Wheel Tire Store on mission Gorge in Santee; Great Service and Bob is a nice guy. Someone said he was going to close down but the last time I rode by the store was open.

Precision Concepts in Santee: A little pricey but they did a great job on the suspension work for my pig.

I've found that the quickest and usually the cheapest place to get parts is at: http://bikebandit.com/

and here is a link to another decent place to get "Stuff": http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Just my 2 cents

RIDE ON!

I agree with you're assesments of the east county shops. Just a couple notes to add-

Vey's has a new owner real cool guy but Vey still works there repairing bikes. Kinda out of the way location. But my number 1 choice cause I know the owner (Robert) and get a discount there.

Two wheels in santee has a new owner and is changing the name to full throttle. Nice enough guy but when I had my tire (used) swapped back from a paddle he didn't make sure the square edge was on the right side. I forgot to tell him but as a shop owner he should know but no grudges simple mistake.

Also, there's Santee cycle supply Kenny owns it and he's a real cool guy also.

Im the afore-mentioned "Luke" in Da Bums post above. I realize my response is a few yrs late, but i just ran across this forum. Ramona performance and sticker shock go hand in hand. I caught a flat about a block from the shop so i had the owner/mechanic change the inner tube. While changing the inner tube he noticed my chain was a bit long and offered to take a link out, which took him all of 5 min. I was stoked i could get back to my ride, that is, until his wife handed me the bill. They charged me just over one hundred dollars for reducing the chain a link/inner tube change. The last time i checked i could get a brand new tire of my choice installed for $80. Funniest thing was i walk back to the garage in the back to ask him wassup, and the door is shut! His wife said he had to slip away to help another biker in distress who had broken down. How convenient, nice 1-2 punch that couple:P

San Diego BMW has an excellent parts dept (at least they are cordial and have treated me right), Gary is always nice to me, polite and attentive. But service dept. could improve a little. The first problem I had wiht my G650X two days after I got it, was that it would stall and would not re-start. They pointed up to me at that time, that I have to make sure I don't use the throttle while pushing the start buttom, as it confuses the computer. They got me a new battery with no questions asked. When I took it for the 700 mile service, they had my bike ready in no time. But then recently I called a guy name Steve explaining that I still have some problems with stalling, specifically when cold. I told him over the telephone that I was assuring myself I was not touching the throttle while pushing the start buttom, so that was not an issue. I also explained to him that I had found out about a recall on the fuel pump wiring, that may cause the stalling on certain bikes. I said to him I did not want to waste my time in taking it if they would just check the computer and say all is fine. I took him and once again explained to him I was using appropriate start procedure (not touching the throttle at all while pusing the buttom). O.Kay, I pick up the bike and this other guy says to me "we did not find anything wrong with your bike. Don't you know how to start your bike? You have to use your finger, not your thumb...." That comment got me very upset... :angry: It seems that my bike is working fine now with new fuel pump wiring unit (I hope so), but I just decided all of the service departments I have been to around San Diego are just not that good (in my experience)... SD BMW if you are reading this, have your service guys be more cordial and have them listen. Don't blame the customer, specially with a new bike. I hope my bike works fine for many years to come because I don't want to take it to service (just don't feel treated right). O.Kay, let's not generalize... I don't feel treated right by two of the service employees, not all (but that's sufficient not to want to go back unless I really have to).

San Diego BMW has an excellent parts dept (at least they are cordial and have treated me right), Gary is always nice to me, polite and attentive. But service dept. could improve a little. The first problem I had wiht my G650X two days after I got it, was that it would stall and would not re-start. They pointed up to me at that time, that I have to make sure I don't use the throttle while pushing the start buttom, as it confuses the computer. They got me a new battery with no questions asked. When I took it for the 700 mile service, they had my bike ready in no time. But then recently I called a guy name Steve explaining that I still have some problems with stalling, specifically when cold. I told him over the telephone that I was assuring myself I was not touching the throttle while pushing the start buttom, so that was not an issue. I also explained to him that I had found out about a recall on the fuel pump wiring, that may cause the stalling on certain bikes. I said to him I did not want to waste my time in taking it if they would just check the computer and say all is fine. I took him and once again explained to him I was using appropriate start procedure (not touching the throttle at all while pusing the buttom). O.Kay, I pick up the bike and this other guy says to me "we did not find anything wrong with your bike. Don't you know how to start your bike? You have to use your finger, not your thumb...." That comment got me very upset... :angry: It seems that my bike is working fine now with new fuel pump wiring unit (I hope so), but I just decided all of the service departments I have been to around San Diego are just not that good (in my experience)... SD BMW if you are reading this, have your service guys be more cordial and have them listen. Don't blame the customer, specially with a new bike. I hope my bike works fine for many years to come because I don't want to take it to service (just don't feel treated right). O.Kay, let's not generalize... I don't feel treated right by two of the service employees, not all (but that's sufficient not to want to go back unless I really have to).

GB, I hope you call and talk to Gary, as he is a great guy and will take care of this. On the other hand, when I first got my BMW-like yours-one of the first models in the country-there was an issue with the mapping of the fuel injection and the injector. There was new software installed and a bigger injector installed to solve the stalling issue. To ge the bike EPA approved, they shipped them a little lean from the factory. After the fix, the bike ran perfect (40,000 miles and still going)!

GB, I hope you call and talk to Gary, as he is a great guy and will take care of this. On the other hand, when I first got my BMW-like yours-one of the first models in the country-there was an issue with the mapping of the fuel injection and the injector. There was new software installed and a bigger injector installed to solve the stalling issue. To ge the bike EPA approved, they shipped them a little lean from the factory. After the fix, the bike ran perfect (40,000 miles and still going)!

Thanks for the information Kevin! :angry: Gary and most of his staff are great people, so I'm sure he will fix the issue as soon as I speak to him. I have owned businesses and it's hard dealing with all employees, service issues etc... But I'm very critical when I don't get good service. When you get a BMW you expect a top quality bike (which it is), but also expect top service which includes being polite, listening, taken good care of the customer... Happy customers make referrals and return for future service needs and also get more bikes... I don't expect my bike being perfect, since it's a brand new model and some bugs are expected, but sure want excellent service and for my bike to work perfect (all bugs fixed appropriately). When there is an issue like stalling, the service should not immediately assume the problem is with the way you turn your bike on (which may be the case sometimes but not always). Issues like the mapping, injector, etc... should be looked up. There's no room for arrogance in a service dept.

The evening prior to taking my bike for service, almost got hit by a car on freeway five (coming in from South 15) at rush hour, when going slow the bike stalled on me changing lanes. So this is no joke for me, it is a serious issue.

I have always been a happy customer with San Diego BMW, and I sure hope that this was an isolated experience. :(

Best and Worst?

Worst is FBC. Some good kids work there but... have you ever noticed how many FBC red shirts are in there as compared to customers? There's a reason for that! They wouldn't fit a chain onto my never used flattracker. I will literally drive right by there to get to any other shop. Bad!

Best service is C&D Cycle Center on Convoy next to Dreamgirls. ex-FBC mechanics. Good honest guys with a real interest in dirt.

Best bike Salesman? Frank (the new Sales Manager) at ECC. He will bend over backwards for you. He won't sell a rocket to a squid. He's worked with our group for years. Either that, or he's got me 100% snowed.

Best Accessory & Parts Person: Gixxer Jen at Cycle Gear on Convoy. She knows her stuff plus more than any guy who walks in, can get non-stocked parts quickly from other stores. It's 100% retail but sometimes we all have to pay the man. Their accessory service is beyond all in SD.

post-2248-1190332480.jpg

I know FBC contributed to the Desert Dash 2009 but when I read stuff like this it makes me not what to do business with them. One of the most entertaining posters on ADVrider had this experience at FBC:

"We wake up in luxury on day one with nothing planned except for attempting to get the bike running. The first serious tension of the trip came when I had made arrangements in advance at “Fun Bike Center” Honda dealer to have my tire swapped out. Everything went smooth in the disassembly we got in the car and waltzed right over to the dealer pretty as you please and they told us to get lost the bike was over ten years old and they wouldn’t work on it. I told them the bike isn’t within ten miles so couldn’t they just cross their eyes a little turn the 0 into a 9 on the paperwork and change the flippin tire? NO! I argued that the concept of an alloy wheel and its relationship to the motorcycle tire was fairly timeless and risk free. NO!. A deep ember of hate started to glow right next to my stent and I had to beat my testosterone back down. NO! The inner carney in me was fixin to opening a kegger of whoop ass but I am a semi rational grownup now with kids. I had nothing but a scrawny eyebrow to fling toward the heavens. Unks heart began to sink as it became apparent that the wheelless refuse in his garage may never leave. Cooler heads eventually prevailed and they gave me the address of a local wrench that would do it post haste.

I still have deep animosity toward these fellas. Here is a guy 2500 miles from home with his young daughter and needs a (paid for) risk free favor and they wouldn’t budge. I hope the same thing happens to them some day. In Mexico they would drive out from the shop with their mom and pick you up feed you dinner and change your tire. I will save a spot for these guys in my cubicle in hell.

The shop they sent me to was called C & D and they hooked me right up. Please give these guys your business they were cool and they didn't appear to be afraid of repairing motorcycles like the other gomers did.

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362853

Previous thread where he gets this POS from Detriot to SD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....;highlight=dash

Maybe just one snooty Service Writer? Why be like that?

The shop they sent me to was called C & D and they hooked me right up. Please give these guys your business they were cool and they didn't appear to be afraid of repairing motorcycles like the other gomers did.

I've posted positive for C & D before and have always had good luck there. :lol:

most of the "big" shops have that same policy on bikes 10 years or older... face it; motorcycles can be dangerous, and as materials fatigue, the risk increases... let's say they throw a new tire on... and something else goes wrong, causing the wheel to seize, and throw temper boy on his butt 2500 miles from home? He goes back and sues them, because "they did something wrong" with the tire install....

That was devil's advocate talking... i don't agree with the policy, but if that's the worst thing that FBC did, I would cut them a little slack on this... as far as directing them to another dealer? That is actually pretty cool, knowing that the same "denied" customer could easily change that in to a "recommendation" in a court, and that might be a good case.

SO: I never go to FBC based on some interactions I've had with the parts team and the sales team...

C&D gets stellar reviews every time... easy decision on who gets my money!

FBC; thanks for the donation to the dash!

Ok I guess I’ll join in on the whining. How about a 6 month oil change? A new 990 Adventure due for it’s 600 mile break in oil change. The oil I usually do myself but checking the valves the first time? I want someone who knows what he is doing to perform that. So that leaves me out.

So “The Shop” goes to change the oil and the threads come out with the drain plug. :o:blink: They could have tried retapping it and putting an oversized plug in it and never told me. :ph34r: But they did the right thing and informed me. It appeared that there was a defect with the casting of the case so they had a replacement shipped out from KTM.

The case takes forever to come in (2 months) and then they can’t get to it right away because another bike is on the lift and is awaiting parts. (So take it off the lift and get my bike together?) :lol: Then the lift is clear but they are awaiting a special tool! Weeks later the tool comes in and they will get to it this week. Then sorry wrong tool we need a different “special” tool, more weeks to wait. :angry:

Ok all the tools are in but the mechanic’s father died and he had to go back home and take care of business. Now that one I ain’t going to complain about, family first! More weeks but they do have several mechanics don’t they?

Finally engine is back together but something is wrong with the electrical system and we are awaiting more parts. This was a new bike wasn’t it? Maybe KTM is just a poor manufacturer? No that is not what I hear from everyone else.

After 6 months I am finally told “yeah your bike has been sitting here a week waiting for you. Someone called last week but you weren’t home.” Now in those 6 months they called me maybe 3 times. I called them just about every Saturday. I went in to talk with them about once a month, with the last conversation being about California’s lemon law. Then the bike is fixed. :huh:

So I go in to pick up the bike but the battery is dead. They jump it and I get the heck out of there. I ride the bike around a hundred miles or so to charge the battery and get to know her again. The next day she starts fine.

A week later I go out to go to work and the bike will not start. I put it on a charger and let it charge up. The next morning I take it to work. At the end of the day I got to start her up and go home and she just barely gets started. But I do make it home. :lol:

I decide I am going to take it to get checked out. So do I take it back to “the Shop” located in El Cajon (engine earth)? :wacko: Yeah right I want to wait another 6 months to get it back! I jump it and ride up to All American in Ramona. They find the problem, a bad battery, and give me a new one for free. They take time to explain the history of KTM to me and offer to remap the bike to my riding style. Techs and owner answered all my questions and offered to help out anyway they could. They were great and actually knew what they were doing. I’ve found a shop for this bike!!! :good: My only question is how do you remap for me when I have no style? :lol:

I take my WR to C&D and my KTM to All American KTM. Steve over there at C&D is a good dude, and the guys over at All American, RJ, Brent, Tim and the others have done great work on my bike.

My most recent experience with All American KTM was a big one. I took the bike in and told Brent (BC330) that the bike was too soft, and being 210 lbs with 30-40 lbs of gear was causing me to bottom out all the time. Big bike or small, I have a hard time trying to keep it on the ground, and that isn't all that fun with crappy stock suspension. Brent made some recommendations and they went to work. While working on the bike, Brent noticed that there was a big crack in the stock pipe and called me to let me know. I told him that KTMRad had offered to sell me a Big Gun pipe recently but that I hadn't had time to go pick it up yet. It was the Monday night before the Dash, and I had no time to go to Randy's, get the pipe, and get it over to All American in time for them to put the pipe on as well. Brent said, "Have Randy call me, I'll pick it up on my way in to work." So I got in touch with Randy, the next morning brent picked up the pipe on his way in to work and after a good deal of hassle with the Big Gun pipe, they got it installed on the bike. There were a bunch of metal beads stuck in the pipe connections that had to be dug out by hand, which must have been a huge pain in the butt, along with the mounts not all fitting exactly as they should. Due to Brent, I was able to ride the Dash on the 640. I'm having a bit of a carb issue but with the new pipe, stock carb and stock jets, I'm going to have to do a little research to get it in tune. May be time for a Pumper carb and a new jet kit to get that bike in tip top shape.

I haven't experienced customer service like that in a long time, I'd recommend them any chance I get.

I recommend the shop "Sportcycles" in La Mesa, El Cajon Blvd. and 73rd st., owners and staff are great. C& D is also great; a real dirt bike shop.

Beezzz