Bagstr

Where to Draw the Line

Insight after reading from the "Idaho Extreme" thread over to AdvRider

This guy and his pals do a good deal of singe track. Bought the 250sx but found it to be an " anchor". Now he uses a Trials bike.

P1020878.jpg

"We would all like to go where-ever we want--that's human nature, and with a long-range GG, the machine does not limit you like an enduro, which rapidly becomes a huge anchor when a bunch of trees are down, or the trail is really steep or super tight." uhoh7

buttercup10006.jpg

Trials bikes are okay if you add a seat to them and extra fuel capacity. Anything other than really tight singletrack is going to be really lousy and uncomfortable after a while, plus the suspension will bottom out on big whoops and stuff. So the bikes are only good if all you will be doing is extremely technical tight trail work.

yeah... the 250 smoker is an anchor :heh:

Just another case of getting the BEST tool for the type of riding YOU want to do, then have at it...

an anchor :lol:

One of the bike mags had a write-up a few months back about a bike that filled the gap between enduro and trials bike... low seat (but a seat) a bigger tank, more rear biased pegs... a gap filler... supposed to be really fun

endurocross doesn't even allow trials bikes in the main race because they have an advantage in the really tricky stuff... a trials bike is still on my list of "some day", although I doubt I have the talent to justify the cost

SX is the super cross bike stiff suspension, megahit motor, tight gearbox and no flywheel mass. More of a rocket than an anchor.

I will take the pepsi challenge with my 300 for trail riding anyday. U bring a trials bike, ill ride my anchor. I won't even use trials tires.

Bagstr,

Pondering a small bore single track machine? Maybe adding to the quiver??

He bought the wrong bike - should've snagged 250 XC-W instead of 250 SX

Gas Gas built a "bridge" bike called the Pampera, which were made in a few different engine sizes including a 280 and a 320.. Big fuel tank and an enduro saddle. I rode one up at Troy Meadows last summer. If Woodschick ever decides to sell the thing, I'm first in line. ^_^

Pampera.jpg

I agree with Mimi, there is no way that a trials bike could be used the same as a good small trail bike for all day use. I have the KTM 200 for tight single track and a Gas Gas 280 Pro trials bike for climbing rocks and logs. Yes the 280 is better for rocks and logs but I wouldn't even think about riding it over 100 miles of single track in Tecate.

Covered in Dust

Bagstr,

Pondering a small bore single track machine? Maybe adding to the quiver??

A second bike is a luxury I don't have at the moment.

My point is we all must settle for a bike that does a lot of what we want but can never "Do it All."

That is with the exception of " That little Blue bike"

That uhoh7 labeled a Dual Sport bike as an " anchor", struck me as pretty funny. I did not read all 12 pages of the thread and may be out of sync with his ideas.

After all the thread is titled "Idaho Extreme."

He bought the wrong bike - should've snagged 250 XC-W instead of 250 SX

Correct, he subsequently spent $1k on suspension and more on flywheel etc. If I understand the thread, he bought both bikes at the same time.

Right, you don't make cabinets with a roofing hammer or remove your lug nuts with a pipe wrench, well unless you're bikeslut, but that's not important.

The right tool for the job is.

A 250 two smoker has to weigh just a tick over 200 pounds, if that's too heavy for the guy I have my classic advice for him.

"Nothing makes your bike feel 10 pounds lighter than adding 5 pounds of muscle."

If you really want to make an improvement, drop 20 pounds of fat when you add your muscle. I am working on the 20 now and had 10 to lose before my latest spree. This year has sucked for me. :unsure:

holy crap! you are already tall and now skinnier!?

you may turn into a sail on a bike....hold on tight!

Right, you don't make cabinets with a roofing hammer or remove your lug nuts with a pipe wrench, well unless you're bikeslut, but that's not important.

The right tool for the job is.

A 250 two smoker has to weigh just a tick over 200 pounds, if that's too heavy for the guy I have my classic advice for him.

"Nothing makes your bike feel 10 pounds lighter than adding 5 pounds of muscle."

If you really want to make an improvement, drop 20 pounds of fat when you add your muscle. I am working on the 20 now and had 10 to lose before my latest spree. This year has sucked for me. :unsure:

Absolutely right but when a top trials bike like the GasGas Raga weighs less than 150lbs adding 25lbs of muscle is quite a difficult task for most folks.

Definately the right tool for the job applies, if you are interested a fellow Brit Paul Bolton who is a top extreme enduro and great trials rider last year did Scott trial in UK on 250 KTM enduro bike, see this link for his comments, interesting.

Paul Bolton

Jon's point (viscious stab at me aside <_< ) is that we can all stand to lose some fat and add some muscle... that will help make the bike seem lighter, and help our riding in general

I know the SX is not a trail bike, but it cracked me up that he called it an anchor... I used to rock climb with my 36 pound free ride bike on my back.... THAT was an anchor

It all depends on the rider....as many of you know, I ride my 950 thru stuff that most people say is difficult on a smaller bike.

Different strokes.

It all depends on the rider....as many of you know, I ride my 950 thru stuff that most people say is difficult on a smaller bike.

Different strokes.

Yup, very true.

That said when are we gonna do a Big Bike Ride?

My point is we all must settle for a bike that does a lot of what we want but can never "Do it All."

That is with the exception of " That little Blue bike"

(and my bike) :lol:

Jon's point (viscious stab at me aside <_< ) is that we can all stand to lose some fat and add some muscle... that will help make the bike seem lighter, and help our riding in general

I know the SX is not a trail bike, but it cracked me up that he called it an anchor... I used to rock climb with my 36 pound free ride bike on my back.... THAT was an anchor

Absolutely, I know this better than most, and loosing 20lbs from yourself should be a lot less $$$'s than trying to loose it from a decent bike.

SX is the super cross bike stiff suspension, megahit motor, tight gearbox and no flywheel mass. More of a rocket than an anchor.

I will take the pepsi challenge with my 300 for trail riding anyday. U bring a trials bike, ill ride my anchor. I won't even use trials tires.

me 2 and will use my anchor (TXC450 Husky 4 stroke) but Brad it should be the brew choice challenge!!!