kkug

Beginner Bikepacking Seminar and Campouts by “KUG”

2010ADVVacationRide187.jpg

What –

To show anyone who has a interest in Bikepacking how to prepare .We will be reviewing gear and tips from a few riders that have logged some miles on the trail and camped along the way.

When--

#1- March 12 2011-We will be reviewing gear. Places to go and all sorts of stuff.

I think we will try to start around 10 AM.

#2-March 26,27 2011- Will be a ride and campout with Small Dualsports ( DR,s XR,s KTM,s )( street legal dual sports ) on dirt roads and trails. Camping will be on the trail.

See Bikepacking Trip To The River in the Who,s going riding fourm for more details.

This ride is canceled (#3-May 13, 14, 15,16, 2011 Will be a ride and campout with larger bikes (Adventure bikes –GS, s Super Enduro, s ECT.) some dirt also.)This ride is canceled.

Where –

#1 Meet at Bald Beemer’s place in Ramona. P.M. me or the Mistress of the Dual for adress.

#2 Meet in Ocotillo Wells and head out to the Colorado River.

This ride is canceled---(#3 Meet in Escondido,-- Randsburg--,and then we will head out to Gold Point NV. For Randy,s Gold Point weekend.)

This will be an informal gathering to let everyone share their packing and camping tips. Everyone does it different and we can learn something from everyone else. More information later and this post will be updated.

Thanks the “KUG “

Seminar In List

kkug

Mistress of the Dual

Wakemedic

Cablejocky

XR650lbum

Oldbeachguy

Trolling For Fish

The other Chris

Bezz and Wonderwomen

Hobbie

Bagster

Rider914 posibley coming from Rancho Cucamunga

PirateMonkey+1+1dog

Covered in Dust

Andrea

Mabey List

Seneeker

Crawdady

LucidMayhem

DirtSurfin

Dan Diego

Racebob

DesertJul--I will send information-Vegas

FJrider--I will send information --Vegas

Thanks Ken...thats cool. Looking forward to this....I'll be at the workshop (will have to miss Mar 26-27, will be in Kauai) but Im planning on Goldpoint also ...Let me know if you need any help. Maybe We can have a good bbq potluck up at the beemers?

Oh no it's K-K-K-Ken, and he is C-C-C-Coming to C-C-C-Camp :heh: :heh: :heh: I C-C-C-Couldn't resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr9qX9k1Y98&feature=related

Seriously though, it is awesome taking the time to share knowledge with others, thanks for doing this Ken. I had better watch it, between you and trophy, there is some serious competition out there for the "good Ken" title. :)

When--

#1- March 12 2011-We will be reviewing gear.

#2-March 26,27 2011- Will be a ride and campout with Small Dualsports ( DR,s XR,s KTM,s ) on dirt roads and trails. Camping will be on the trail.

#3-May 13, 14, 15,16, 2011 Will be a ride and campout with larger bikes (Adventure bikes GS, s Super Enduro, s ECT.) some dirt also.

March or May might work for me......glad I have an ADV bike that goes _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ :rolleyes::lol:

The Wolfman luggage/Rotopax set-up worked well for me on my recent Adventure:

WR250RRight.jpg

( DR,s XR,s KTM,s )

Thanks the “KUG “

No Huskys? :dirol:

Not 610s - that bike needs its own middle group between larger and smaller. :P Anyway this sounds like great fun - riding and camping with the bike as the pack mule. That is true ADV riding.

"No Huskys?" tlking6

"That bike needs it's own section" Kip

That's OK, I will keep you company.

( DR,s XR,s KTM,s )

Thanks the “KUG “

No Huskys? :dirol:

It's jealousy.. It's hard for those other bikes to keep up with a Husky. :torch:

Wish you had this before I left on my trip. Completed 1250 miles in Baja last week with this set up. I ended up ditching the tent, roll and camping gear on day 3.The Wolfman bags worked great on this trip, I strapped the extra tools on the straps of the Wolfman bags.The rack held 2 MSR liters of gas in Wolfman holders in between was the main tool roll on top of it was the emergency blanket and sleeping bag. One side had rope, tow straps, bolts, spare batteries,tire irons, tube, waterproof pant & jacket layers. The other side had a travel pillow, tent light, clothes(light jeans, thermal shirt, light shoes, flip-flops), book and toiletries(vanilla dog toy spray served as perfume and a helmet refresher...I would pack it again). Flight vest held chain lube, zip ties, spare gloves, spare googles, passport, flashlight, pepper spray, knife,camera, Spot, map and money. Riding pants and jackets worked out to be the pefect sleep pad under the full moon at LA Bay. I hear the wind rolled in the day after I left.

Regretted taking a book and waterproof pant layer. Wished I had packing Q-tips. Thankful I took spare gloves when I hit the border my hands were frozen so I wore both sets of gloves.

post-13968-096020000 1291176391_thumb.jp

. I ended up ditching the tent, roll and camping gear on day 3.

Wow you are a true diehard. I need a tent to keep the chupacabra,s away from me :unsure:

Completed 1250 miles in Baja last week with this set up.

Nice work! :good::smile_anim:

Impressive XT225 dual sport ride. That was a lot of adventure for that sized bike. I own and ride one. Lots of weight on that sized bike. How was it?

Impressive XT225 dual sport ride. That was a lot of adventure for that sized bike. I own and ride one. Lots of weight on that sized bike. How was it?

Since that was my first long trip on a bike, I have nothing to compare it to nor did I have any idea what I was getting myself into. I did 60% of the trip solo which is why I took the XT vs. a bigger bike. I liked having the extra weight in sand, it proved to be helpful.

Nice trip Slag. I like your small bike setup. I have done many trips on my Honda XL250s over the years (Highway 1, San Francisco, etc). When touring I never needed the power and speed of big bikes. Never liked the extra weight either. Good show.

Hey its warming up!

Its time to boost this up a little bit. Since I posted it we have had a lot of new members. Maybe some are interested in this.

Not much to add at this point,so pencil the calender if interested.

Later the KUG

Very nice! Ill mark my calender and see if I can attend. Although the first ride lands close to my wife's birthday..... maybe ...????

Good idea. Wish I were closer. I need to start building my arsenal of bikepacking gear. If I have enough by then maybe I'll try and make it. Sounds like fun.

Good idea. Wish I were closer. I need to start building my arsenal of bikepacking gear. If I have enough by then maybe I'll try and make it. Sounds like fun.

If you can,t make it I can send you some links to some good information. I really enjoy camping in the Mojave National Preserve.

If you can,t make it I can send you some links to some good information. I really enjoy camping in the Mojave National Preserve.

I haven't camped there but have ridden it some. I'll take you up on the links. I'm gonna start collecting some of that stuff soon so I'm ready when the opportunity comes up, or I can create the opportunity, to camp off the bike.

Hey Kug,

This sounds like it could work for me. Let's hope it warms up a bit before then. I'll be checking in.

Paul

Since that was my first long trip on a bike, I have nothing to compare it to nor did I have any idea what I was getting myself into. I did 60% of the trip solo which is why I took the XT vs. a bigger bike. I liked having the extra weight in sand, it proved to be helpful.

Congratulations for riding sand at all.

I found that the stock thin tires on the XT 225 make it a disaster in deep sand. All you can do is slide around as if it is deep mud. I was bouncing off the trail edges in the river bed to keep on the trail. Its standard short format does not want to track straight at all in deep sand. It could use a steering stabilizer to help with its short wheel base and tracking straight. Fatter tires would help in sand.

It must have been quite a long trip.

I've got the first date on my calendar, but I don't even own a sleeping bag at this point, so I'll have to see about the rides. Besides I think I might be allergic to sleeping on the ground :heh: