Forget it

Dates are set again. One last time. If this doesn't happen this month I'm quitting.

Meet up will be at Silver Strand State Park 9AM. From there we ride East to Tecate for gas and lunch. Then more East to Ocotillo for gas (if needed) then East again to Calexico for the night. I'll look into a few hotels and post up what I can find.

In the morning we gas up and head east to the Duner's Diner for early lunch and then Eastbound through the dunes to Winterhaven for gas. Afterwards it's Northeast to Picacho Park for pictures. Then South to Yuma for the night. Last time we rode into town with no idea where to stay and found a decent motel, it was rough but it worked.

The next morning we gas up for the longest leg of the trip and my favorite. This leg will test your gas range, ~120 miles from Yuma to Brawley through some of the deepest sand I've ever ridden for gas and lunch. Then next leg is from Brawley around Superstition Mt to Ocotillo for gas and a quick dinner. Then we ride dirt routes paralleling S-2 eventually leading to Banner and then slab it home. There is a gas station in Julian but I've found they have odd hours for a gas station. The next real station is in Santa Ysabel.

Hope to see you there.

There's been some talk of longer multi-day trips. I'd like to this again. Maybe in Dec or Jan.

There's been some talk of longer multi-day trips. I'd like to this again. Maybe in Dec or Jan.

Pasta, I'd really like to do this one. Hope it's a weekend I can make it.

I have been out of town during the last two trips, I should be here this time and would like to try to get in on this adventure. Keep us up to date.

100_0108.jpg

remember the water that came out of the solar powered showers at the park? I think I came out with more salt on me then I went in with. And my hair hurt after that :)

100_0165.jpg

Where did you start and end this ride? There is another post about a 3 or 4 day ride that might be able to combine with this one and cover a little of both routes. If we could end in Havasu I have a home there that could sleep a fairly large group. Also I'd like to base a ride out of there early next year, maybe riding over to Sedona and then up by the Grand Canyon if anyone is interested.

Covered in Dust

Also I'd like to base a ride out of there early next year, maybe riding over to Sedona and then up by the Grand Canyon if anyone is interested.

Color me interested.

The ride is a lot of fun. It was always intended top be a three day trip. The first two days are pretty relaxed, and fun. The last day covers a lot of miles, is faster paced, and your body will be a little sore and tired, but still a lot of fun and incredibly scenic.

Jon, is this going to be a motel or a camping ride?

Ken, I think we found out last time that both options could be easily available to whatever the rider's preference is. I'll keep it at that. Camp in Picacho park or hotel it in Yuma. Just the hotel goers will have an extra 30 miles on day 2 and 3 and need to be back at the park early to regroup with the campers and get back on the trails for the 230+ mile ride home.

Also I'd like to base a ride out of there early next year, maybe riding over to Sedona and then up by the Grand Canyon if anyone is interested.

Color me interested.

Me too!

This is one of the rides I heard about when I first joined SDAR. Once a date is set, baring any unforeseen issues, I plan to get a ride to SD and join this ride. I can also provide support on this end if anyone needs anything. I'll be watching for a final date.

I've wanted to do this ride the last two times but the timing just didn't work. I hope it works out this time. December would be a no go but early January could be doable.

Jon, did you just fly over my head?

One 'o them fancy buzzboxes you fly with the decorative front spoiler out of Palomar?

BTW, looking at early to mid January. Probably start on Saturday Finish on Monday timeframe. Or if enough folks want to go meedweek I will gladly do that too.

One 'o them fancy buzzboxes you fly with the decorative front spoiler out of Palomar?

That is not a front spoiler, that is a french duck.

That is not a front spoiler, that is a french duck.

Yeah, whatev.

Looks like a "tricked out" Honda Civic.

Supported, or unsupported? ...and I'm not talking athletic supporter. dry.gif

Unsupported, but we do have one or two folks back in San Diego that have agreed to come rescue us if the need presents itself. Since we're only as far away as Yuma it only takes ~4 hours to get to us just about anywhere along the route.

We camped on the first trip and hotelled the second time. If we go in January it'll definetely be a hotel trip for me as it gets REALLY cold out there at night. I enjoy camping, but i do NOT enjoy freezing my man bits off.

Supported, or unsupported? ...and I'm not talking athletic supporter. dry.gif

Unsupported, but we do have one or two folks back in San Diego that have agreed to come rescue us if the need presents itself. Since we're only as far away as Yuma it only takes ~4 hours to get to us just about anywhere along the route.

We camped on the first trip and hotelled the second time. If we go in January it'll definetely be a hotel trip for me as it gets REALLY cold out there at night. I enjoy camping, but i do NOT enjoy freezing my man bits off.

I heard that... I'm not for the cold, or really even camping anymore.... I like soft beds, and less creepy crawleys than on dirt, or in a tent. Plus, I hate carrying the crap I'd have to carry. I do like supported rides though, as it's always nice to have a fresh pair of everything for every day. I know... I know... I'm so spoiled anymore.

... I'll keep it penciled in (If I'm invited) dry.gif .... if I get a job, it'll take precedence over everything. Don't they always get in the way!

Would I still be allowed if I had a support truck come along?? ... I'd be sure to carry your and anyone else's things. biggrin.gif