Strega

Where to EAT in San Diego

IMO which means very little but here its.

standing in line for over one hour, then ordering at a counter

then having to find a table, then getting back up to get your order

is not my idea of a good place to eat. But i,m a fricken food snob to start with.

So, I tried PHILS, once,,,

bar b que house in ocean beach will do for me.

is not my idea of a good place to eat.

So, I tried PHILS, once...

X2, when it was still in Mission Hills...45 minutes for ribs to go...uhhhh, riiight.

B)...likes his own BBQ better...

note*: quote edited for content, which may or may not fit your screen. :rolleyes:

For me I find In/Out on the bottom of the list for FF burgers right next to Mac and Jack. I don't know what the fuss is for In/Out plus there fries taste like cardboard.

I found it varies by In-N-Out. I love the ones in PB and Ventura, but the further inland I get the less I favor them; the only exception is on the way to Vegas, sometimes the one near Barstow is all right. Anyhow, after a day at the beach I crave a double double animal style and sometime will throw in a rootbeer float for kicks. However, I'll take any In-N-Out over most other burger joints with a drive through.

IMO which means very little but here its.

is not my idea of a good place to eat. But i,m a fricken food snob to start with.

So, I tried PHILS, once,,,

bar b que house in ocean beach will do for me.

agree about Phil's... of course, the one time I take an SDAR member to my BBQ place, they are selling freaking "re-heats"... so; I should just shut up

Oddly - this comes right after a Phil's post....also not a fan....especially of the wait.

PMB posted elsewhere about going to Coops BBQ in Lemon Grove....so I dragged the wife and in-laws there today. For my taste, the best I've had in SD. The meat was tender and moist and a choice of sauces on the table. Smokey, sweet & spicy.

'Tween the 4 of us we had: Jerk Chicken, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Rib Tips, Baked Bean, Red Beans & Rice, Yams (Sunday only), cornbread....& split a piece of Sweet Potato Pie. Complimentary Sweet Tea. Outstanding! :good:

Coops BBQ - Thx Paul!

Oddly - this comes right after a Phil's post....also not a fan....especially of the wait.

PMB posted elsewhere about going to Coops BBQ in Lemon Grove....so I dragged the wife and in-laws there today. For my taste, the best I've had in SD. The meat was tender and moist and a choice of sauces on the table. Smokey, sweet & spicy.

'Tween the 4 of us we had: Jerk Chicken, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Rib Tips, Baked Bean, Red Beans & Rice, Yams (Sunday only), cornbread....& split a piece of Sweet Potato Pie. Complimentary Sweet Tea. Outstanding! :good:

Coops BBQ - Thx Paul!

Ate there this week, had some beef ribs and hot links.

Y U M

Oil is controversial. Between Phil's "BBQ" and Coops, there is no controversy.

Coops is BBQ, Phil's isn't.

Oil is controversial. Between Phil's "BBQ" and Coops, there is no controversy.

Coops is BBQ, Phil's isn't.

Agree, went to the Phil's in San Marcos when it 1st opened. Will not go back.

CiD

I've been to Mike's in Escondido a couple of times now, and I've had good meals both times. It is toward the west end of Valley Parkway (kind of in a weird area for a restaurant) if you try and find it.

I've been to Mike's in Escondido a couple of times now, and I've had good meals both times. It is toward the west end of Valley Parkway (kind of in a weird area for a restaurant) if you try and find it.

The first time I went there, I wasn't impressed. A couple of months later I went back and thought that the food was pretty tasty. B)

I grew up in South Jersey across the river from Philly. Best local Cheesesteak place I've found is Philly Franks in San Marcos. They also carry Wise potato chips, Tastycakes, Esposito Ice, Soft Pretzels.....all the fixin's from my youth......

http://www.phillyfranks.net/

cheesesteak_lg.jpg

They're from Philly and they have Philly sports memorabilia all around the store from my high school years (Back when Bobby Clarke was the star/captain of the Flyers, Dr. J and the 76ers, Jaws and the Eagles). It's a walk back in time for me.....and I love a good Cheesesteak and/or Hoagie.

My mother is visiting for the holidays....she flys in tomorrow night.....which means I need to bring some cheesesteaks home on Wed night :heh:

"I grew up in South Jersey across the river from Philly"

That explains everything

I grew up in South Jersey across the river from Philly. Best local Cheesesteak place I've found is Philly Franks in San Marcos. They also carry Wise potato chips, Tastycakes, Esposito Ice, Soft Pretzels.....all the fixin's from my youth......

http://www.phillyfranks.net/

Chris, thanks for posting this link....our office is in San Marcos....just went and got sandwiches for everyone at the office.....great philly sandwich !

PHILS SUX

Ok whats next?

agreed...well; maybe not SUX...

I mean... they take animal flesh and cook it; that is worth something right there... but it is TERRIBLY over-rated.

As a quirky little shop in Mission Hills it was ok, but the expansion they are doing?!?!?! (I met with one of the managers the other day, as he was eating at my BBQ place and he laid out the expansion plans... aggressive, without the chops to back it up "pardon the pun")

West Coast BBQ [Formerly Beckers] in La Mesa.

Just found out about this North County GEM: Sublime Ale House. The San Marcos location is the larger of 2 - There is one in Poway with a slightly different menu.

I haven't been to Cenote Grill in quite a while, but I will agree that their food is excellent. I've never had a bad meal there, and the Sangria is mighty tasty too!

As a SD import first time I had a fish taco at rubios I was blown away, still a huge fan. Recently found couple of other great fish tacos:

Name: Brigantine

Type: Seasfood etc

Cost: $$

Recommended By: dai

Notes: the spicy / buffalo chicken taco maybe even better than fish tacos, try both

Name: Cant remember

Type: mexican

Cost: $

Recommended By: dai

Notes: 99c fish tacos are totally awesome, place is opposite BK on clairmont mesa blvd