Metal Twister

Single track trail and Tot Lot at C.C. January 9th, 2010

Woke up with a headache Saturday morning, but packed the Jeep up with some hand tools and my KDX anyway. I went out and snipped and pruned and sawed a few things, then retired without so much as christening the trail with my bike. It never even made it off the carrier. :(

It was nice to see everyone out there and meet some new members. :) The singletrack looks quite lovely and scenic, so I'll be going out there soon to set my dainty knobby treads upon it. :unsure:

Sorry about no pics. I usually take a bunch, but my trusty Kodak fell in a river a few days ago and it still hadn't dried out all the way by the start of project day. After sitting on the hot dashboard of the car all day it was finally in operating condition by the time I stopped for some ice cream snackies on my way home.

100_2829.jpg

Great working with all of you....I might be crazy, but I had alot of fun out there, and it was a good work out too!.......Let us know what is left to be done...Install the entrance gate, finish the trail, etc...

I really enjoyed the day. Meeting new folks and getting stuff done. I have to say our first official day working on this was a great success!

A BIG THANK YOU! to all that participated.

Randy (our Prez) and I walked most of the trail checking it out and it looked pretty rideable. Then we tried to ride it and MAN it was a lot harder than it looked! We were falling over left and right and bulldogging it here and there. Randy's bike started over heating. We only rode a short part and it was kicking our butts! Smartly we turned around and headed back to the trucks. Since day was getting short I decided to try and ride in from the other end and see what it was like from that side. We have some trimming to do over there. The first part is in recently unburned area and I got to a point where I couldn't ride any further because the brush was too high and thick. Of course by then my 300 was boiling over just like Randy's did. So back to the truck for me and a colorful sunset.

I'm going to plan on being up there next Saturdy to open up the other end of the trail. Will have 4 pair of loppers with me. Right now the main thing we need to do is trim a narrow corridor through the brush and get the trail defined so it can be ridden.

Here is one of the first riders. Jerry was test riding with Racerbill and Ozzy. They said they lost the trail and ended up coming back out and riding off somewhere else.

post-4114-1263178000_thumb.jpg

Jerry's bike and Mimi enjoying the view along the trail.

post-4114-1263178092_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots looking in opposite directions along the trail.

post-4114-1263178172_thumb.jpg

post-4114-1263178139_thumb.jpg

post-4114-1263178209_thumb.jpg

Randy (our Prez) and I walked most of the trail checking it out and it looked pretty rideable. Then we tried to ride it and MAN it was a lot harder than it looked! We were falling over left and right and bulldogging it here and there. Randy's bike started over heating. We only rode a short part and it was kicking our butts! Smartly we turned around and headed back to the trucks. Since day was getting short I decided to try and ride in from the other end and see what it was like from that side. We have some trimming to do over there. The first part is in recently unburned area and I got to a point where I couldn't ride any further because the brush was too high and thick. Of course by then my 300 was boiling over just like Randy's did. So back to the truck for me and a colorful sunset.

SOUNDS GOOD! :lol:

Sorry I couldn't be there, but I did help build a RC racetrack for my guys and gals so I got a bit of trail building in. See ya out there in a few.

Thanks to everyone that showed up to help. It was a very productive day on the new intermediate trail. Actually without riding it yet, I would have to rate it an intermediate +. We had 13 SDAR members show up to work on the single track. Kaw'ee and MetalTwister worked on the 4x4 trail, but it was good to see them also.

I want to thank Richard Tull for helping with this. This is a monumental step for all offroaders, and hopefully the start of more projects like this. I have not heard of a (NEW) legal trail being built on public lands since I have been in California. It will take the help of us volunteering to make it work.

Here is a picture just past the beginning of the trail. The trail runs up through the rocks in the background.

P1090151.jpg

most of the single track "gang".

P1090147.jpg

One thing I do want to mention to those working on this trail. SDLineman and I were laying out a section over the rock and Richard told us to avoid the moss areas. He said that even though it just looks like dried up dead moss or lichen, it is actually just dormant, waiting for moisture to bring it back. It is still living and some of it is thousands of years old. He even wants to put an information placard on the trail telling about it. So when laying out the trails try to avoid as much of it as possible, and please be vigilant walking and riding up there before the trail is established so as not to disturb much of it.

:lol: Ken

Thanks to everyone who showed up ! It was an educational experience and fun too ! That trail is going to be a great trail once finished, and until it gets worn in, it's an upper intermediate trail. Looks easier when you walk it, then when riding it.

Many thanks to Richard Tull, the Cleveland National Forest and all those who supported this effort to build new trails.

For all those who attended, I need your number of hours worked on the trail day.

I'll post a topic in the Members Only Forums......those of you who are new, were there and don't have the passwords to the MO Forums, please PM me.

Thanks !

Great seeing you again Randy, and your relentless support to the off-road community is incredible to say the least.

Only recognized joliet and dirtdame out there but glad to see you both still involved with what ever helps out the sport

Should be out for the Desert Dash again this year to shoot Photos for the Drawing and Course Action Shots like last year..... Unless somebody else is volunteering to do it this year / PM me'

I'll try to set up a " SDAR - Photo shot " sign this year along the course so you have a chance to do something Stylish for the Pic'

SDAR - Kaw'ee .../ / / ... SCUFF - Dirty-Detour...

A little birdie told me about riding the completed trail today with a ride buddy along....wholy shamolie!

There's some great no-momentum turn-hard and wheel-spin up loose rock-strewn steep hill climbs in several places,

but one section of the trail traverses silt-covered sloping slabs of granite that proved immpassable

short of dragging the bikes up from where they stopped sliding down and pushing/forcing/pulling them up the slippery slope onto stable ground.

There's a 8 foot diameter, tromped-down and scraped off patch of terrain below the section where it appears MANY have had suffered the same misfortune. Did I mention losing one's balance on the south side of this section will result in an eight-foot fall into granite boulders? Fun's fun, but I think a little more thought (and a lot less hazard) could have gone into this part of the trail.

Maybe the impending rain will wash away all the loose silt covering the steeply sloping rock and provide something that resembles traction, or maybe it will further create an impass, which would be a real disapointment as the vast majority of our collective efforts produced a challenging, fun-filled trail.

Time will tell....

A little birdie told me about riding the completed trail today with a ride buddy along....wholy shamolie!

There's some great no-momentum turn-hard and wheel-spin up loose rock-strewn steep hill climbs in several places,

but one section of the trail traverses silt-covered sloping slabs of granite that proved immpassable

short of dragging the bikes up from where they stopped sliding down and pushing/forcing/pulling them up the slippery slope onto stable ground.

There's a 8 foot diameter, tromped-down and scraped off patch of terrain below the section where it appears MANY have had suffered the same misfortune. Did I mention losing one's balance on the south side of this section will result in an eight-foot fall into granite boulders? Fun's fun, but I think a little more thought (and a lot less hazard) could have gone into this part of the trail.

Maybe the impending rain will wash away all the loose silt covering the steeply sloping rock and provide something that resembles traction, or maybe it will further create an impass, which would be a real disapointment as the vast majority of our collective efforts produced a challenging, fun-filled trail.

Time will tell....

I assume you are talking about this section:

IMG_0089.jpg

During the maintenance day I cleared some of the dirt by hand(the reason for all the silt on the downhill side). It actually was piled in such a way so that it was off camber. Now, with the dirt pushed out, the rock actually slopes away from the cliff slightly. The trick here is to have some momentum going in and just feather the throttle. Too much and your rear wheel will slide down. It is passable and will probably get better as some more of the dirt is removed. But I agree the potential fall is a bit worrisome.

Yep, the very same. Momentum is the key, but

A- If that section becomes impassable, the whole new trail = FAIL.

B- IMO the risk of a fall and the resulting injury in such a remote area

is an avoidable hazard. I'd hate to hear about a rider who suffered a

catastrophic injury on a trail we worked to build.

Trail design = serious injury = new trail closure = FAIL.

By routing around it, both issues can be avoided. I'll be happy to

volunteer to fix it.

This is an intermediate to expert level trail. Noobs should stay off if you are afraid of getting hurt and ride the easy trails and dirt roads. Dirt biking is a dangerous sport which can result is serious injury and or death. This section IS a reroute of a section which was getting seriously rutted out and almost impassable.

You could dig out some dirt then drop some flat rock in there. This would give traction and stop the rutting. .02

Thanks to everyone for all the work........I've actually only ridden out there once or twice......hope to put in a few hours workn/ridn at some future date.....

Dirt biking is a dangerous sport which can result is serious injury and or death.

SSHHHHHHH! I spent my whole teenage years trying to convince my parents otherwise! :lol:

i think we need to add some rock or brick to the silty section like mike said. And we could pull out a few of the rocks of that one section that we talked about alan. those ones that are just annoying.

I'm a bit consumed with other riding clubs and racing for the next month but after that briana and I will be free to work at CC in Dec. and Jan. Once 12 is good, lets open up 7 and also trail 4 could use a trim.

challenge it or stay on the jeep/quad/regular single track moto trails, impassable to many is simple second nature to some.

I liked the original trail as it was,,,its just that everyone focuses on the groove and gets deeper and deeper from all the wheel spinning.

The rocks offered the best line you just gotta commit, this trail is a real natural trail, and commendations go out to the design team.

Need to get back out on it for some back and forth burn it in time. stand up, or sit, less wheel spin more clutch slip more weight onto the rear and more active on the bike in all 3 axis of movement. got it on Hcam from the original layout.

sorry to rain on anyones parade but this is one of almost only one trail out there that is not for everyone. reroute to make it easier is wrong. my two pence.

Leave it. I've ridden the whole thing and I'm a schmoe. No beating chest here but leave the hard stuff for guys like Robert, Slut, Alan, Pasta, Fakey, et al ( I struggled BAD on the thing ). Like some have said....if you find it too much for your liking...ride elsewhere. Plenty of miles of less difficult stuff in CC.

Make every trail passable by all = FAIL

I rode the new trail again today, east to west then turned around and did it west to east. Saw the reroute, I think it is fine as is, not dangerous and it should be much more sustainable. Also noticed the cleared brush at west end where it had gotten quite overgrown, thanks to Alan and the crew, you did a great job. Still needs a bit more so hopefully for next work day I can help out also then we can get it opened officially then with necessary signs so novices will know it is an advanced trail and stay away.

I wanted to bring the trail section up for discussion.

Instead I got lots of answers to questions nobody asked.

I'll give this one more try.

I NEVER said-

That I am a noob (post #66)

I was afraid of getting hurt (post #66)

I wanted to re-route it to make it easier (#71)

I found the trail too much for my liking (#72)

That I want every trail passable by all (#72)

I DID say-

That there are some "great" challenging sections on the trail (#63)

That it's a "challenging, fun filled trail" (#63)

That I'd be willing to put in the time and effort to address what changes would be done. I'm not one to say something needs to be done, then expect someone else do it (#65)

One poster who has spent some time observing the section (jbw, post #64) agreed with me by saying "But I agree the potential fall is a bit worrisome."

Another, (daijones, #73) said it's "not dangerous". I didn't think to ask, but I wonder if dai spent any time looking over the details of the section that I described. I met dai on the trail about a week ago

and we discuss the trail in general. His recommendation to get the signs installed at both ends is a good one,

and can't happen soon enough. He described to me an ambitious novice who he encountered struggling on the trail, and came across the novice again on his return trip; he had not traveled far and was still struggling.

Perfect example of what I want to keep from happening.

Maybe I'll make myself understood this time:

IF I/we can

a. decrease the potential for the trail section becoming impassable

b. decrease the potential hazard in the process

c. maintain the SAME challenge of the section/trail

THEN we have improved the trail.

The posts that suggested how to improve the section are, IMO, welcome and productive.

I realize there are other trails in other areas of Pine Valley and Corral Canyon that run above ledges and cliffs,

and I admit I don't know much about how long to expect a trail will last,

but I thought that making trails safer and last longer was worth discussion. Still do.

hhhmmm... I've never noticed that section

If that section is not sustainable, I agree it should be looked at... that is a bigger concern to me than the potential for falls; I can fall on a fire road

as for signage; I can assume they have to wait for the trail to be approved before they can make the signs?