slosher

Help Please

I need to adjust my chain and i have never done this, can some come by and walk the through or can i come over and be walked through?

I am in Santee, next to Santee Lakes.

:lol::lol: There is a great SDAR member in your area goes by the name of chief gunner. He hosts tech days and regular entertainment days for the likes of people like myself. PM him

I'm in Lemon Grove and willing to help too, let me know.

From what I have read you should have 1.5" of play in the chain from top to bottom of what you can make it flex. I think mine is at like 2" so I need to tighten it some.

I made an alignment tool from a piece of 1/8" rod and a zip tie per adv rider instructions

The bike now jerks when get on it hard, i looked at the chain and it hits the swing arm. It did not last ride....

I have read the book, but not 100% on doing it. I am about 90% sure i can without issues, but would just like someone there to guide of i F-up.

I'm in Clairemont and from the sound of things I might go over to Vey's in Lakeside. If you're near Clairemont with the bike or haven't gotten any help when I get to Lakeside, I'll give you a ring. I'd be glad to help out.

Jon

From what I have read you should have 1.5" of play in the chain from top to bottom of what you can make it flex. I think mine is at like 2" so I need to tighten it some.

I made an alignment tool from a piece of 1/8" rod and a zip tie per adv rider instructions

Hold the phone there- bikes are different and KTMs need more slack than others. Take one of the members up on their kind offers.

fn

Joe; I'm in Lakeside just off of Wintergardens, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my address & phone number. :lol: I'm leaving the office now and headed home. should be there in about 20 minutes,,,,or maybe a little sooner since I rode the VMax to work :lol:

What bike do you ride? It really does not matter, we can always look up the needed specs online and get it done right the first time.

HP call me if you get out in the "Hood" :ninja:

Gunz

I always just adjust my chain by eye, and use my finger to see how much it moves up and down above and below the swingarm. Works for me, never really use the specs.

1" to 1.5" of play max is a good rule of thumb.

Make sure someone sits on the bike with the sidestand UP when you check adjustment, so there is stress on the chain as if you were riding it.

This one is by far the best chain tech article I've ever read.

http://www.easterndirt.com/?p=207

I've probably "read" it 6 or 7 times because I can't seem to remember what the article was about by the time I get to the bottom of the page. I understand it to be very good info though.

Jon

I've probably "read" it 6 or 7 times because I can't seem to remember what the article was about by the time I get to the bottom of the page. I understand it to be very good info though.

Jon

She can take my bike apart to check "my tension" :lol: , but I'm not going through all that work :lol:

The only difference between the article and the way I do mine is; that I use a tie down through the rear wheel and over the back of the seat and tighten it up until the counter sprocket, swing arm pivot, and rear axle are in alignment. That and I am not quite as cute as the mechanic in the article :lol: :ninja: :lol: . Ken

hey joe, the lack of linked suspension makes the KTM chain tension a tricky one. It is almost impossible to get right unless you put the bike on a stand and remove the shock. Then lift the swing arm to where the chain is at its tightest. At that point there should still be a small amount of slack. You can come over the hill to san carlos and I will show you in my garage. send me a message if you want to take up my offer.

I would be willing to bet most of the KTM guys on this board do not have their chain tensioned properly.

Kens method will work well too and is probably the easiest way. The key is to get the swingarm horizontal.

People with the fancy euro style tensioner bolts on the rear of the swingarm should be putting antiseize on them now and then or they will stick...

I would be willing to bet most of the KTM guys on this board do not have their chain tensioned properly.

Yup, 'cos we-all dont have a lik a cents betweenus. I jes fel offa da turnip truck musself, dontcha no.

hey joe, the lack of linked suspension makes the KTM chain tension a tricky one. It is almost impossible to get right unless you put the bike on a stand and remove the shock. Then lift the swing arm to where the chain is at its tightest. At that point there should still be a small amount of slack. You can come over the hill to san carlos and I will show you in my garage. send me a message if you want to take up my offer.

Kens method will work well too and is probably the easiest way. The key is to get the swingarm horizontal.

People with the fancy euro style tensioner bolts on the rear of the swingarm should be putting antiseize on them now and then or they will stick...

Making rocket science out of adjusting a chain :D:D All I know is what works for me, and how long my chain's last if I maintain them correctly.

So Spaugh, do you remove the shock everytime you want to adjust your chain ??

Or use the method like mentioned in that article, with the homemade tool to measure slack after removing the shock the initial time ??

Ya, I was stretching chains before I went to taking out the shock.

And FN, aren't you the guy who takes his bike to the shop for everything?? :D Drink some apéritif and have the big dirty guy behind the counter do the dirty work?? :D

Spaugh, see my previous post.......we were posting at the same time.....I have questions.

I generally run my chain a little loose on the dualsports. Loose is better than overtight.

Spaugh, see my previous post.......we were posting at the same time.....I have questions.

I generally run my chain a little loose on the dualsports. Loose is better than overtight.

HAHA, Randy, ya I know, lots of work, Ken has the best technique. Running loose is key, or they stretch. Once they are set, you don't have to mess with them much unless you are doing wheelies at every stop sign. :D The EXC doesn't stretch much, the monster, I can't keep the chain tight for more than 2 weeks. Tall gearing and lots of torque screws up chains.

Hold the phone there- bikes are different and KTMs need more slack than others. Take one of the members up on their kind offers.

Ok, I'll play......

Fakey Namey is correct.....slack on KTM's is measured UNDERNEATH the swing arm as opposed to the std ~1.5" of slop ON TOP of the swingarm that I used to always eyeball on my Yamaha's/Honda's......on a KTM the chain should almost be touching the underside of the swingarm with the upper part of the chain fairly well tensioned......it looks WAY wrong/loose when the bike is sitting on the side stand....until you sit on the bike thereby removing the excessive "looking" slack.....

Regardless of bike mfg, better to error on the loose side....

And FN, aren't you the guy who takes his bike to the shop for everything?? :D Drink some apéritif and have the big dirty guy behind the counter do the dirty work?? :D

Only the stuff I don't want to do- like tire changes. But I suspect you'd be surprised. :D Hate to spoil your chain self-glory.

I pull the shock off every year or so to check my previous calculations, but it always measures three of MY fingers width just behind the chain guide. Yes, on TOP of the swingarm even.

Hey Fake.....if ur fingers are calibrated for Yamaha's, I'd like to borrow them sometime. I'll trade u for my elbow which is set at 33 lb ft from my aircraft mechanic days. Not near as accurate as Randy's eye :D but good in a pinch.

Actually...good info all around. And it took me 3 times reading that article to see the click HERE for a full photo of the mechanic. :D

There was an article in that link?

I always pull the shock on a new bike and do the first chain adjustment. Then when I know its right I find a refrence point and do the finger thing and try to remember it.

I agree with FN. I see KTMs all over the dez with there chains too tight.

Jon

I just learned how to adjust my chain all over again. A bigger plea for help might get her over to help you??? :D

I did not think i would get so many replies..

The book says it just set bike on kick stand and 1.5 from swing arm..

I am more confused then i was before..

I am free Wed. evening.

I will keep reading and then let someone know how much more confused i am..

Next question;

Was that link the real way or was it just to check out the hot young lady?

Sounds like the best real way and if you make the little block of wood it makes it easy to check later on so you dont have to do it the hard way again