bikeslut

some advice please

wondering if anybody has direct knowledge about "what to do"...

My mom was selling her house in Vista... went out of town for the weekend to Arrowhead to look for her next house, only to receive a call that her house burned down

That in and of itself is probably devastating... it wasn't like us in Alpine where we bug out every few years; load up the trailer with memories and motorcycles... instruments and documents.

She was blind_sided with just an overnight bag... the fire fighters managed to get the BMW out of the garage, but the rest is charcoal.

She is there now sifting through the ash with some family members; I'm on the way up soon.

advice- As I said ; her house was for sale, so she has some photos for insurance purposes... better than nothing I suppose.

trophy- I expect you have some experience (but don't launch a full scale investigation just yet)...

anybody else? what do people forget to do?

let 'er rip- any comments appreciated... except bowers... his silence would be appreciated... just kidding... kind of

Sorry about your moms house. She should write down everything she had, to the best of her knowledge, in the house. The more details the better for the insurance company.

wow. sorry 'bout this.

Good link above. Since her policy probably burned up, ask for a full copy of it from her insurance company - hopefully a copy of the one she signed. Read everything they give her - helpful to have someone else read it, too - before signing. There will be some temp living funds offered. Make sure to understand everything on that document before accepting the $10-20K. Read the check, too, before signing and depositing. It's a contract and there may be "By signing and depositing this check, the policyholder accepts....." wording on it. She probably has alternative living funds coverage but don't let that first check be the one and only due to some wording.

Good advice above. Write down everything everyone can remember.

It's a process, don't accept the adjusters first or second attempt at a settlement. Most major insurers are pretty good but they may overlook things. Be VERY cautious if approached by a Public Adjuster. They make a percentage of your settlement by getting you the best one. The client may end up with less in the end.

Insurance companies hand out money like candy to crooks (which is why I have a job) who know how to work the system but make the honest folks work for every dime. It's weird.

Call me if you need anything at all.

Slut, wow...sorry to hear, hard to imagine how devastating that can be...hope all turns out well...I have nothing to add besides what others said above.

Thanks for the advice and condolences; truly is devastating for them. Some really random stuff was spared, and other dear items lost. Spent the afternoon sifting through the ashes

Sorry to hear about this BS. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Going back up there today to load up my truck for storage items. If anybody with a truck is in the vista area today, and can move some stuff, please PM me

Thanks for the advice and condolences; truly is devastating for them. Some really random stuff was spared, and other dear items lost. Spent the afternoon sifting through the ashes

can you post somethings she needs to get by and post it, I am sure all of us are will to pitch in and donate, to at least get her back on her feet. She is your mom and moms are everything us.

I got them some toiletries, clothes, etc already, thanks...got some offers for trucks (thanks guys) and the insurance tomorrow should kick in tomorrow

I'm sorry to hear this.

Although somehow this may be a blessing in disguise.

If there's anyway I can help please let me know.

Very sorry for you mom's loss... Will keep an eye on the post for opportunities to assist.

3 "public adjusters" have stopped by so far to offer their services. Couple of lookie-loos, one of whom I had to give the bum rush today. Neighbors have been helpful and supportive. They are moving in to the Residence Inn tonight, and I meet with the adjuster tomorrow. I have two construction/remdiation companies on stand by. Moved all the lawn furniture out today, got her to rest and eat. They're too old for this ----. Thank you all for your suggestions; the victims are so overwhelmed, they don't know where to turn

Watch the remediation companies. They submit exorbitant bills once insurance is involved. Sometimes it exceeds that part of the coverage and the policyholder gets holding the bag, or getting less from their total coverage.

A buddy's mom had a $40,000 estimate or two until he stepped in. The same level of work went to $12K. Some will offer to overbill and kick back half to the homeowner.

I know, I only see that side of it, but just some cautions.

Is anyone pulling security at the house? Since it was on the news, those who do such things will take whatever remaining things if unwatched.

Thanks Ken; we discussed all of this stuff. Everything of value is in the locked garage...all the neighbors are helping watch...this week we'll get everything of value out. Mainly tools in the garage is all that's left. Some family in IE will be storing everything. I'm using remediation companies I know and trust. There will be no funny business; parents have a great policy with a reputable company. I trust it will all work out. For all the PMs and texts offering everything from trucks to houses- im constantly amazed by this community we all share. It means a lot.

Sorry to hear this. I've been through a couple fires in Ramona and good advice above.

I now have all photos stored in the cloud which includes pictures of personal belongings updated couple times a year. And a good policy gives peace of mind. On the bright side other then the close personal items lost a total loss is like having a very successful garage sale.

Only in your mom's case she didn't need to deal with this :(

Don't underestimate the value of landscaping including natural trees, fencing and irrigation etc.

+1 on staying away from "public adjusters". They can be very aggressive in trying to get you to sign up and can take a significant percentage of your recovery. American Red cross can be a good resource too.

Having been through a total loss by fire I will say this, it's the obvious things that we forget, like clothes hangers, the food in the fridge and pantry. All of those things that you count on every day that become part of the background. Having been through this with the Cedar Fire I don't wish this on anyone. My prayers are with your parents and I'll be watching the thread for if there is anything I can help with.

Nickels and dimes...in his garage (wasn't damaged; just illustrating how quickly things add up)...one drawer out of about 30 in the garage...packages of sandpaper...each pack costs $6 or so...he has about 60 of them.

BS, No advice to offer just sending my sympathies for the damage, glad no-one was injured. Hope all goes well with all the insurance issues. R

update... Mom is quite overwhelmed by the totalness of her loss, but the support of so many people has been very reassuring. Spent 4 hours with a fire investigator on Monday, and the most likely culprit is a faulty/misplaced nightlight. Either it shorted and started a fire, or leaned up against a wall and started the fire. He's not positive, just his best guess.

Sounds like the real estate agents, insurance people and lenders are ALL bending over backwards to complete the house purchase until the re-build is done and they can sell that house.

I have a construction/remodel company to help me through this process. House is a total loss, so we'll either flatten it and start a new construction, or keep up the garage door and have a "remodel" of the rest.

House was facing the worst direction anyway, so this will allow us to orient the house to take advantage of the views.

They are currently staying in a Residence Inn a few miles away; I have a security gate installed to keep out looters/scammers, etc. and they'll start the demo just as soon as insurance kicks in.

She is finding some comfort in finding heirlooms (cast iron frying pan) from her parents/grandparents, and disheartened to realize "sentimental value" doesn't count for much in the insurance game... so great-grand-dads old shaving mirror is worth exactly 19.95 on her list.

I took most of the power tools to my house (not that I have room, but at least I have a roof) until they get situated in their next place. I'm lending her a recliner for the short term, since she can't really sleep on a bed due to a bad back.

I'm too old for this, so I can only imagine how they feel.

Thanks again for all the support and offers for help.

As a flashback from replacing my stuff comes to mind, sold/closed auctions on Ebay can add credibility to value of hard to replace items getting in general an appraised value for something you intend to replace but haven't found yet. It all adds up to the policy RD3 that gets you back to where you started. Insurance companies don't like filing supplementals but they will.