Had a pretty ambitious ride planned for Sunday and get back on Monday getting up to crestline going threw anza then to palm springs and up to big bear and crossing the forest roads into crestline, until 7pm the night before my ridding buddy pussed out and cancelled (just kidding). I wont name any names don't want him to not feel like a stud lets just call him "el frenchy". So after about 8 beers bummed I wasn't going to go, I said f** it im just gonna go to idyllwild instead bike was ready wife had to work next two days so I was all clear. Was out the door in la mesa by 6am trying to beat the heat did normal route to ramona up black canyon

post-15045-0-16369700-1439849703_thumb.j

post-15045-0-31349900-1439849720_thumb.j

into mesa grande then over to warner springs to hit dirt at lost valley.

post-15045-0-37042600-1439849806_thumb.j

I stopped in anza to grab a redbull and snickers and realized it was only 9am and I was going to make idyllwild by 11:30 on dirt. SO I pm'd "el frenchy" for some tracks to big bear figured since ride got cancelled mine as well go solo on hottest day of the year.

crossed bautista over to Thomas mountain and down to highway 74.

post-15045-0-07222200-1439849962_thumb.j

post-15045-0-26822500-1439849972_thumb.j

started "el frenchy's" tracks up bee canyon and into banning already at 100 degrees for about an hour now.

got up close to the the radio towers and started following tracks and went about a mile down some single track on a ridge and noticed a big loop in the tracks taking little south when I needed to go north, so with the heat and haven't seen a sole all day I backtracked and took a fireroad up to the 243 and down into banning for lunch and gas.

from there took some nice back roads threw small towns and apple orchards up to alder creek road. Temps now at 105 getting pretty warm must keep moving. Crazy views on alder looking at the valley and this extremely tall dam. I'm terrified of heights and alder creek even though its a wide 2 track had me going at a snails pace and weak at the knees. Finally found some shade first in over an hour for a well needed water break.

post-15045-0-67269500-1439850447_thumb.j

little north on alder saw a Subaru with 3 senior citizens in it they were crazy lost and saw this road and asked if it was a shortcut to the valley I told them nope and turn around. Then I came to the highlight of my trip a freezing cold stream running threw trails. Soaked my cooling vest and washed my face well worth the stop.

post-15045-0-68826000-1439850469_thumb.j

next stream so awesome to come from 105 in the valley to this closer to big bear

post-15045-0-32057200-1439850507_thumb.j

then was up the road to running springs for a Gatorade and into crab flats to setup camp. Go into campground at 4:30pm

while crossing the big stream into campground I didn't see the path for motorcycles to cut around and I only figured stream was couple inches deep so I hit it about 15mph boy was I wrong got soaked stream was up to my foootpegs deep. lesson for next time.

post-15045-0-72850800-1439850622_thumb.j

after setting upcamp went back to running springs for a burger and couple beers. I brought along the jug to fill up with beers and had to keep it strapped to my giant loop bag to carry it plus still had some tools in bag when I got to gas station then this had happened.

post-15045-0-22958300-1439850718_thumb.j

that's going to be an expensive fix hopefully giantloop can repair it for a reasonable cost.

Day 2

Woke up a little late and didn't get rolling until 9am instead of taking same way back alder rd took me forever due to fear of heights and falling off what seemed like a thousand foot cliffs. I decided to take to 330 down and just slab it to the highway 74 would only take a hour and half instead of probable 4 or 5 hours like days before. Once at highway 74 I just wasn't in the mood to ride same way back and was just ready to be home the heat wore me out and being solo I chanced it enough day before so I took bautista over to anza.

post-15045-0-15810700-1439850961_thumb.j

from anza back dirt to warner springs. on way up I told myself I was going to stay under 40mph on dirt just to keep things safe well that went out the window on way back I was cruising hit 60+ a couple times on Chihuahua valley rd only took me 50 mintues from gas in ana to glider port in warner. I took at right on trail instead of straight looked like faster way back to highway 79 which was until I came to this. Good thing I didn't pack the kitchen sink only had about an inch to spare and trail going around it wasn't something I wanted to attempt while loaded and by myself.

post-15045-0-08259500-1439851165_thumb.j

From there I pretty much slabbed it home making no stops. That kinda sucked I should have stopped in ramona or santa ysabel for lunch and too stretch my legs.

Total miles up 246 on way back was 185. The 350 did great definitely a little buzzy about 60mph +.

Until next time " el frenchy" don't get mad for calling you out and not invite me next time.

Nice trip... Looks like another great adventure... Thanks for sharing...

Last time I rode Alder Creek, I came around a corner and scared the ---- out of a bear, who thankfully decided to jump off the side of the road and disappear.

Sweet ride. I hate when friends bail. Sucks.

Hey, couple quick questions.

1. You can get from Anza to Idylwild by a 100% dirt route?

2. How much dirt from Idlywild to Big Bear?

I'm not familiar with dirt tracks outside Mesa Grande and would love to start riding/camping this area.

Great "out n about", good write up too - bummer about bag, dag nab!

Likely.... you were just out roamin around looking for cooler weather.... like we are all doing these days as we battle the "every darn direction is HOT" feelings!! And even if it might be cool, the damn lightning made a fire - grrrr.

At least you found a cool puddle :) and some running water (to splash in - haha).

Hell, maybe not at the same rate, but a similar route and the same sleeping spot - and a brew or two...... might have been doable for a few of us if you toss out a spontaneous "gonna go now" post when your buds have "stuff comes up". And just like EddieEarl implied, a new route is a new adventure! cheers. (PS. drop by sometime if you are near any views of any windmills :)

Excellent ride and good experience.

Did you have the GPS track for this? I plan on going In October on a 5 day to Lake Isabela and like to take as much dirt as I can get and handle. Ramona 2 Anza is available. Anza 2 Idelwild and Banning 2 Big bear is what I need.

If you are in Poway, you should come by one day and let's talk about a CAMPING ride. I am in Poway 2.

Sweet ride. I hate when friends bail. Sucks.

Hey, couple quick questions.

1. You can get from Anza to Idylwild by a 100% dirt route?

2. How much dirt from Idlywild to Big Bear?

I'm not familiar with dirt tracks outside Mesa Grande and would love to start riding/camping this area.

Eddie earl: here is it from warner springs. Right on lost creek rd across from glider port, continue on puerta la cruz, continue on copper cienega truck trail, right bailey rd, left terwillger rd, left 371, right Bautista canyon rd, follow Bautista riht on forest route 6s16, left 6s18, riht up thomas mountain for views then turn back to intersection and go down rouse hill rd 5s15 all way to highway 74, riht hihway 74 1 mile left on bee canyon, right on san jacinto ridge straight into town. Pm me for me details.

Macduncan I will definitely next time I was kinda in the zone for going solo and Ironman it in the heat probably beers talking.

Mr. Jaja I'll check my gps for tracks tomorrow I was having power supply issues at end of ride so didn't get some of it I forgot when it was turning off. But I basically followed Kato's tracks,Kato's tracks SD to ElPasoMnts

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zahkmIcOlO9A.kv1YJJ90J73kwith a minor detour on India creek truck trail take riht on 4s05 to highway 243 north. all route I took is big bike doable minus the single track I turned around I would do it on my 950se but probably not solo.

Sounds like a fun adventure! I want in on one of these soon!

we have frenchies here? there goes the neighborhood

Nice write-up... I, too, would like to tag along sometime, but would rather not camp...and wait for it to be just a WEE BIT cooler

Awesome man! The stream was a nice find indeed.

I hope to join you for the next one!

Side question: what tires are you running on your 350? I'm thinking of going for the tried & true Desert IT for the back but am open to suggestions for the front

Golden gt216aa front 16lbs for dirt use and 20lbs dual sport thing is a monster so you need a big ass tube. BTW front now has 1200 miles on it and about 60% tread life left. Expensive but so worth it.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19062-golden-tire-gt216aa/?hl=gt216aa

rear is maxxis desert it. With tubelesssetup 7psi for single track desert use, down to 3psi for nasty stuff and 12-15 for dualsport.

I've also used a motoz mountain hybrid on my 350 for more single track use and dual sport stuff pretty happy with them had 700 miles on it when I took it off about 50% worn but did some nasty desert stuff and big hill climbs and wasn't cutting it. But if I did more dual sport stuff will put back on. Probably should have put back on fot big bear run but was lazy.

I see you have the Arny inspired Growler and Maxpedition carrier for cold beers at camp. They work great.

Yeah they do during the day I filled it to the top with ice then rest water it kept some cubes 12 hours later love it where my camelback was warm by 2pm. Then when beer time comes dump out water and container is still cold on inside to keep beer colder longer.

Nice report. Would be better in November.

No way November means muy frio= way too much gear for my 350.

great post-man you are an animal thats a long way.

Diggin that tank on that bike-is that the 4.2?

Have it on mine and thinking of putting on wifes-you gave me a great visual of what it will look like.