bboyle9

Prescription goggles vs. dualsport helmet

Alright all, the good lord blessed me with many things, but good eyesight is not one of them. I am still wearing the very first helmet I bought, and AFX-39 for 125 bucks about 5 years ago.

After a recent trip to baja, I realized it was about time to get a new helmet. Particularly because it was hot/dusty/and really sunny in baja. And my helmet smells now...That being said, I am weighing my options. I like the idea of having a dirt helmet with a couple pairs of prescription goggles(one clear and one tinted) On the other hand, I have really enjoyed having a dualsport helmet for longer slab rides.

I am looking for something lighter in terms of a helmet.

So heres what I need feedback on.

Prescription goggles: Who has them, why do they like them, and where do i buy them

Dualsport helmet: Whats your favorite and why?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Waying or Balanza.jpg ?

Pro-Vue has a prescription goggle option $209 http://www.pro-vue.com/moto.html

You could always keep a dualsport helmet / face shield and glasses for slab sections but flip the visor up and throw on the prescription goggles for dirt sections. That way you'd keep your glasses for the campground / time off the bike. This would be an okay option, especially because you can't play blind and make up excuses for talking to ugly chicks on moto trips!

index_moto_bw.jpg

provue_moto_mx.jpg

I'm no help on dualsport helmets. All I hear is that you're either a Shoei head or Arai head and I have no clue about the Icon stuff. Hell, I rode to SF in full motocross helmet & goggles! (I'll admit that sorta sucked on the 405 through LA though...)

I had an HJC, heavy, Bought a Bell because I always liked bell, Hurt my ears (I have big ears), bought the Arai with the flip up shield, Awesome ( except for an annoying whistle at high speed from visor area), Goggles I don't know.

Glass free except old man reading glasses.: :shiftyeyes_anim:

I have to wear my specs to see everything, I have the Arai DS helmet and now the new Shoei. I really like the Shoei over the Arai as there is much more room to flip up the shield and wear goggles. I wear the kind made to wear with glasses and have no issues.

Oakley progressive prescription half-jacket sunglasses and an Arai xd4.

I recently bought a Speed and Strength dual sport helmet. I like it a lot except for the tendency to fog up on cold days.

post-13426-0-54611700-1428820002.jpg

I recently bought a Speed and Strength dual sport helmet. I like it a lot except for the tendency to fog up on cold days.

I have the same one, but the channels for my glasses are all wrong. I can never get them in the right (comfortable) place. I also have a Shoei (non dual-sport) and that works perfect with my glasses. I would go try a few on with your glasses before pulling the trigger.

Another option is goggles built to fit over glasses. I have use those with mixed results as well.

Important to remember the difference between eyewear/sunglasses and *eye protection*.

Lenses should be polycarbonate and have a good "wrap".

Yo. Wrap.

I can't help you with helmets as I am still looking for the best one.

As far as goggles go, I use Oakley Split/Wind Jacket glasses. Mine are prescription and transition (clear to tinted for one pair day or night). The difference between Wind Jacket and Split Jacket is the removable rubber gasket. I can't say how good the gasket does at keeping out dust if behind another rider in the dirt, but it keep wind out of my eyes well enough at freeway speeds with my visor up or if wearing a half helmet. These are glasses not goggles but may be an option.

Good luck,

Daniel

Stick deflected off my eye protection- that would have made an eye kebab:

15509656677_27d8cbc26a_b.jpg

12460416233_b344b41c8a.jpg

My Oakleys were real expensive because they're progressive (read: trifocals) and I'm old. Single-vision prescriptions should be much less money.

If I am not mistaken, and I rarely are, my Costco progressive clear and titanium frame was $148. That plus a DS Shoei or Arai takes care of it all.

When you follow CID, visor down with goggles inside. When you lead, visor up. Plex glasses inside goggles at all times. Two pair of sacrificial glasses.

I've been using Guard Dogs over my Oakley prescription glasses with transitions lenses with an offroad helmet or just my modular for lighter more street oriented riding. But then again I'm not normal.

Thanks for all the help guys. At this point i am wrapping my head around spending $500 bucks on a helmet.( mostly because i could probably buy a running KLR for that much)

But currently leaning towards an Arai XD4. I will probably buy some over the glasses goggles just to see how i like them.

Laser eye surgery... Boom... Eye Problem solved...

Choose googles and helmets as you wish....

Laser eye surgery... Boom... Eye Problem solved...

Choose googles and helmets as you wish....

Nope.

I could solve my distance issue that way, but would lose my close view. Or I could get my close view and lose my far vision. Yes I could have one eye cut for long vision, but monovision makes me seasick.

Either way, I still need eye protection.

Yes but the problem of prescription goggles goes away... I thought it was a question of how to best accomodate prescription issues...

For the record I had laser eye surgery in 2003... and I can still see near and far... thankfully...

Yes but the problem of prescription goggles goes away... I thought it was a question of how to best accomodate prescription issues...

For the record I had laser eye surgery in 2003... and I can still see near and far... thankfully...

Ah, youth.

Ask your doctor about presbyopia.... :dead: