Dan Diego

Talkin' smack about ABS: The pros and cons of stopping

Im a fan of ABS. On my DS or street bikes, I like it.

Never had it until I bought a BMW GS. Wow, when you need it, you need it.

Anyhow, the reason behind this post is something I saw on my commute to work yesterday. A guy on a HD cruiser locked up the rear brake in traffic to avoid a car to slammed on its brakes.

The rider did really well and controlled the (considerably long) skid. I was impressed.

It got me thinking about the benefits of ABS. I don't have it on my pig of a Triumph, but I do on my pig of a KTM. And, thanks to a certain PMB, I can easily switch it on and off --on the fly--when I hit the dirt.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, some folks don't need or want ABS. The rider yesterday handled the situation well. Me, I sure appreciate having it.

Comments, rants, general smarminess?

On the street 100% like it, especially when I'm riding around on knobbies which have very little contact patch for stopping. Off-road, who needs brakes just point the front and twist the grip !

It can't hurt, but as you point out...REAR tire skid. 75% of braking power comes from the front tire, and a certain rider demographic seems to avoid the front brake....unbelievable...as a reference, an acquaintance locked up his back brake on Alpine boulevard and skidded probably 80 feet into a car that had turned left in front of him....he ended up losing his leg from the crash....speed limit is 35 there; don't know how fast he was going, but for analysis, I went faster than that and applied both brakes simulating a panic stop...I stopped in less than half the distance, and couldve stopped quicker still....practice panic stopping folks (dirt riders do it all the time).....that all being said; ABS on street bikes can be a life saver, and linked braking even moreso....

You're entire rolling weight may be lighter than the now legless bike+rider, but yeah, ABS helps. Even the well trained in threshold braking gets a chirp sometimes. I locked F & R on the Road Kouch the other day for a split second but the 800 lb beast stopped pretty well (ma & pa kettle stopped suddenly in the traffic lane to decide which direction to go next). With no data to support it across the board, I think regular dirt riders do much better in these situations (my own 3 close calls as backup).

I keep it ON on the street and OFF off the road.

On the street 100% like it, especially when I'm riding around on knobbies which have very little contact patch for stopping. Off-road, who needs brakes just point the front and twist the grip !

Exactly my thought.

Head on a swivel. Aside from the driver turning left in front of us most "accidents" could be avoided or at least the impact would be lessened if the rider was constantly scanning and aware of his surroundings. We do it on the dirt, why not on asphalt?

bikelsut, I agree 100% proper use of both brakes is very important.

I'm new to the DS scene but rode a street bike before. During my first slab ride around town on my new bike, i was quickly reminded on how many drivers out there are clueless of not just other vehicles but also of a guy testing out his dual sport.

Stay safe my friends.

I just hope that I never need thew ABS. I have'n had the guts to test it on asphalt yet. But I remember the first BMW with ABS in Germany demonstration, noone trusted the system and relaid on it. That is 30 years ago.

Totally agree with all comments about how good ABS is on the street. Bikeslut made the most important comment being Practice Make Perfect. Every rider should take time to practice skills in a safe environment as often as possible. It helps build instinctive reaction and feel in order to avoid panic driven mistakes.

I commute on my Tiger almost every day. ABS could be helpful, I deal with a lot of oblivious drivers. I accidentally locked up my rear tire today when a truck pulled in front of me. I was in a bit of a comfort zone, so looks like I need to get out and practice some quick stops again.

Hopefully my next street bike has ABS.

I love having ABS and it is a great option to have on a bike and If you can turn it off is even better( I could not imagine going down a steep bumpy dirt hill with it on). I would suggest if you have it on your bike practice using it in a big parking lot so you know how your bike reacts when you do use it. I took a advanced street class at Palomar College and one of the test they gave us who had ABS on our bike was to stop when going 35 mph with out engaging the ABS in a short distance and it took some effort not to engage the ABS.

I rode somebody's ABS equipped bike down a short steep hill (unknown at the time)...it was a freaky experience... again...panic stops, especially on the street, I'm sure it's great. Heart Attack Hill descent? No thanks

I turn off my ABS on my f800gs on both street and dirt. It provides less control when I need it. It limited my emergency stopping control. It is releasing my brakes before they lock up. Stopping seems impaired and much slower. It seemed more dangerous. A real test is in order with true measurements. Never, ever, off road.

How well does it work on "ICE"?

Beeez- I "think" most studies on panic stops would disagree...but I've been wrong before. I think most dirt opinions would be exactly the same

I am taking all remnants of ABS off the 990. Personal preference but certainly not recommended for others.

On dirt ABS is simply dangerous and the ABS comes on by itself under certain circumstances.

I am very cautious on pavement and sometimes not so much in the dirt.

George- be aware (if you're not already) that the 990 speedo draws its signal from within the abs computer, making the complete removal difficult and expensive.

I do not have a speedo now. GPS when I get one will take care of that.

I am going live life on the edge by removing my valve stem caps as well, in the name of weight savings.

That is sprung weight you know!

Hmm maybe I should run it low on oil too. I like thinking outside the box.

It's probably unable to compensate for the dynamic weight of all your Desert Dash medals.

A proud moment indeed! All the hard work even when things were not going our way. I have to thank my team though as it is all about them and of course my sponsors.

Hubba Bubba bubble gum

Pabst Blue Ribbon

Depend shields for men

Preparation H

I am sure I forgot someone?

going ultra light....Mettec Ti hardware all over your sprung monkey and unsprung self. nice gold medal from Dez Dash, I take it you OAd the event.

big bucks to save grams of sprung and unsprung heft. wish I could justify going the whole boat, I already have my ABS off......OK never had it.

https://store.mettec.com/category/157