Boston Mangler

Riding In The Heat! My Two Cents!

Ok... Last 2 rides i have been on have had similar results, so i figured i should open my fat mouth..

Riding in heat requires preperation.. Results of heat stroke and similar can be pretty severe.

For those that know me, i am a fatty, out of shape, and don't work out. Yet i am always outlasting (or at least not complaining of headaches or fatigue mid/end) folks on hot rides, and feeling ok after them. Because i prep!

Last 2 rides i have been on have been fairly warm, and more than one person on each ride didn't even have/bring water..

Happened again today, to someone in our group, we all advised him to bring water, and got the standard "i'm good" End of ride he looked freaking ill...

Most of the supermoto races we did we always in the summer in +100 degree temps, why? not sure, but they were. 100-110 degrees in a full leather suit..

Here is what i do, and recommend to prep, if i know i am riding in hot weather the next day:

-Start hydrating the day before, minimum 1 gallon

-Sodium in the AM. Some do Beef Jerky, some take salt pills, myself, i almost always eat a Mountain House Beef Stroganoff first thing in the AM. Has lots of Sodium and calories, and will provide you the energy and water retention you need.

-Continuously drink water throughout the day, even when you aren't thirsty. I force myself to hit the camelback at least once every 5 minutes, even if i don't want to.

-Bring Extra, someone is bound to not have any (never fails).

Of course this is just my opinion, and what works for me. Everyone is different, but PLEASE bring water when you ride, and don't take the heat lightly!

If you are feeling light headed during your ride, don't push it, stop and tell someone you need to take a break.

Opinions/Advice of anyone is welcome!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, but loading up on Sodium if you have high blood pressure might kill ya

Had a race last weekend. It was 101 degrees and humid. I spent all of my off-track time in the shade with a cold drink in my hand. I drank about 20 ounces of Hammer Nutrition Heed before the morning's activities began, and kept drinking Hammer Endurolyte Fizz all day, until I got tired of that, then switched to GU chomps and cold water. I always carry Endurlyte Fizz and GU Chomps with me on summer trail rides, along with my water, or I may have the Heed mixed in as well. Don't bother with any of those yucky thirst quenchers that can be purchased at the market. They're crud.

Ok... Last 2 rides i have been on have had similar results, so i figured i should open my fat mouth..

Riding in heat requires preperation.. Results of heat stroke and similar can be pretty severe.

For those that know me, i am a fatty, out of shape, and don't work out. Yet i am always outlasting (or at least not complaining of headaches or fatigue mid/end) folks on hot rides, and feeling ok after them. Because i prep!

Last 2 rides i have been on have been fairly warm, and more than one person on each ride didn't even have/bring water..

Happened again today, to someone in our group, we all advised him to bring water, and got the standard "i'm good" End of ride he looked freaking ill...

Most of the supermoto races we did we always in the summer in +100 degree temps, why? not sure, but they were. 100-110 degrees in a full leather suit..

Here is what i do, and recommend to prep, if i know i am riding in hot weather the next day:

-Start hydrating the day before, minimum 1 gallon

-Sodium in the AM. Some do Beef Jerky, some take salt pills, myself, i almost always eat a Mountain House Beef Stroganoff first thing in the AM. Has lots of Sodium and calories, and will provide you the energy and water retention you need.

-Continuously drink water throughout the day, even when you aren't thirsty. I force myself to hit the camelback at least once every 5 minutes, even if i don't want to.

-Bring Extra, someone is bound to not have any (never fails).

Of course this is just my opinion, and what works for me. Everyone is different, but PLEASE bring water when you ride, and don't take the heat lightly!

If you are feeling light headed during your ride, don't push it, stop and tell someone you need to take a break.

Opinions/Advice of anyone is welcome!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, but loading up on Sodium if you have high blood pressure might kill ya

Crazy....

Even my three kids (7, 10, 13) bring water when we go rides.

Even in the winter...

Even when it's cold...

Even when it's raining...

Even when they are not thirsty...

It's the second most important element in the entire world!!

Prepping the day before is important. I had a few beers last night, but I drank a lot of water along with them. I sweat a lot, so I need to drink a lot of water. I emptied my camelback after a few short trails, stopped an filled it up at the VFW in Campo while I watched part of a football game and got some A/C. I felt good when I got home, even though I lost a few pounds.

Gatorade strapped to my bars--x2 (im olds-kool)

Take a route that leads to water .

Stop and rest in shaded areas.

Be careful who you ride with (they may drink all your water).

I also drink tons of liquids before at home.

Wear an outfit that cools and protects.

Ride at an hour when the sun isn't at its peak.(morn or night).

Check the weather.. try not to ride when there is a heat advisory...

Monitor your terrain ... technical tight terrain will heat you up more (less air passing by).

There are neck bands that hold water crystals inside those actually work.

Sometimes I dump some water down the front of my shirt that has a cooling affect.

I've noticed that releasing or relaxing my grip on the bars helps the air flow and keeps me relaxed.

Another trick is opening the vents on my helmet.

My favorite cooling plan is stopping for lunch and iced teas (plated bikes) during my ride.

Good topic. Thanks for posting your tricks. I got heat exhaustion in 100 temps at CC a few weeks ago. I had my 100oz camelbak on but just was not drinking enough. We had to douse me with water and it took about a half-hour before I felt good enough to ride. Tight trails are a workout like any other exercise ; you just don't think of them in that way. Gotta check into that Hammer nutrition stuff.

No one wants the "silver bullet". Keep downing that water.

I HATE wearing backpacks or hydration bladders on my back when I ride. I'll strap a camel back on the back seat of the Strom or at the very least water in my tankbag and top case and drink at every stop. Along with the aforementioned hydrating the day or two before.

The other part of hydration that was kind of mentioned is electrolytes. We all know the symptoms of heat exhaustion, and dehydration, but there is a twist to watch out for too. If someone has the classic heat illness symptoms and is peeing a lot they need less water and more salt. As well as the camelbak on every ride I carry salt tablets. I have trouble on hot days digesting the sugars in Gatorade the salt tabs are easy to absorb.

http://tinyurl.com/ks6o6t9

Yeah.. Everyone is different, but I don't know many folks that actually have good luck with Gatorade!

I have an iron stomach and Gatorade is one of the few things that messes it up!

I have a few friends that race desert stuff and swear by Pedialtye also.. Stuff is EXPENSIVE!

Beef Jerky, or sodium filled freeze dried foods seen to do the trick for me and are cheap.

Luckily Gatorade doesn't mess me up...

and its always 2/$3.00 at the 7/11 or am-pm (I only ride plated bikes for some reason)

also its the only bottle that stays strapped to my bars.

I won't wear a camel park any more because I need to keep my laden weight below L2- & L5 ever since I hurt my discs as a heavy equipment operator.

so I wear my Dads old army cantine around my waist and maybe an extra water In my tool bag for the guy out there that... didn't plan ahead.

Great salt trick.. im gonna look into it.

This is a very good product:

http://elete.com/about/products/

They have pills that are real easy to pop and the liquid that you can add to drinking water.

I used to have problems with muscle cramps until I started using this stuff.

I add it to the water I drink the day before riding, and add it to the camel back while riding. No sugar. almost no taste, just adds a little salty taste to the water, hardly noticable.

I read an article about hydration, and in that article, written by a doctor, they said that the average person, performing normal activities needs 100 ounces of water per day. If you are active that amount can double.

I still think the biggest issue is what y'all are wearing.......all black, all geared out to the max over dressed for close range trail rides, ....wear.light colors.lite safe and breathable. lite color boots, lite color helmets, Moose sahara, Fly and other mesh brands less is more in heat. we just did 75 down and 75 back in temps from high nineties to mid eighties, it just evaps the moisture right out of you, also use a neck cooler it really changes your game and dont be afraid in the short term to douse yourself. also good try to keep moving just like an aircooled motor needs airflow. vaseline in nose feels good and keeps your nose moist and traps dust and sirt like your oiled air filter. breath and ride loose relax. try wearing your chest protector under your jersey gives a nice air gap.

and of course all the hydration tricks you like, I happen to use RynoPower sports products, one of the supps is a white cap that is the electrolyte supp. along with all the other supps. PS plain old water is best (just not too much )just add some electrolyte stuff in your snack diet. salts help transmit commands to your muscles,,,, no salts =cramps remember heart is a muscle.......dont want a heart cramp!!! I do use pedialyte blends in my hydropack along with lite mixes of sports drinks if I use too much my legs begin to feel heavy, so stick with lite mixes25 -30% that seems best but all are different.

one of my side stories- Tecate HS @ 2001 well prepped bike and body---drank lots of water peed before start was crystal clear.....went 3/4 of very first lap and hit a wall......came into pits and drank a G ade with water or powerade dont remember within a couple minutes all my energy came back and I rode hard for the rest of the race @ 3 hrs of tough single track, I had flushed all my salts out, so a dose of salty sugar water got me refueled, it wasa very powerful reminder and lesson for me.

We used to make "ghetto gatorade" in boot camp. 1 packet of salt two packets of sugar in 1 quart canteen. Shake it up and drink away.