P1050225-L.jpg

Not much to improve on once you have done this.

Edit: Except maybe that chair

Cinnamon pass was epic! Snow was blowing sideways but it was nice and dry so not really a big deal!

IMG_1178_zpsbf4d8a55.jpgIMG_1181_zpsb4d52e8b.jpg

IMG_1174_zps99854348.jpg

Awesomeness...thanks for sharing! :smile_anim:

Here are a few pics from the jeep trail.

P1040747_zps24f514ec.jpgP1040750_zps03063877.jpg

Just behind where Tracy is standing Ken was stuck up to both axles in the mud. It's a lot of fun tugging on a bike at almost 12K.

P1040752_zps89836853.jpg

After we turned around I let the boys get ahead for awhile and just tried to soak in the beauty of where we were riding.

P1040761_zpsabc401fc.jpg

CiD

Trail Boss then lead us to Lake city for supplies and then on to another one of his great camping spots.

P1040764_zps9915677e.jpg

Every time on a trip with Ken I always say that this is the best camping site ever.

IMG_1831_zpsdc05469b.jpg

IMG_1843_zps5874aa6e.jpg

The next morning we got rolling and went up the other side of the mountain on the jeep trail to Carson.

IMG_1858_zps3d3bc379.jpg

There were a couple of rocky sections and some more water crossings.

P1040779_zpsd0c8d5e4.jpg

Ken used his bike to move a few boulders around to make the path easier for me.

P1040780_zps8921fdc5.jpg

Carson was a well preserved old mining camp up at about 12K.

P1040781_zpsa501a267.jpg

Back down the mountain to the lake we then rode along this beautiful valley for a few miles. The clouds were starting to look pretty gray up ahead about now.

P1040772_zps341bd678.jpg

Like Ken said earlier we soon hit rain and took shelter for about an hour to let the worst of it pass. We then started making our way up to Cinnamon Pass.

P1040865_zpsd3176938.jpg

P1040802_zps037c4e02.jpg

Where the wind was howling. I stopped and talked to a ranger in a jeep at the bottom of the pass and he said the wind was blowing at least 60+ mph at the pass.

P1040821_zps78dbb9e5.jpg

P1040834_zpscfc8a340.jpg

Things are kind of a blur (no pun intended) after this for me. It was cold and windy and it was kind of survival mode getting down off the pass because although I had cold weather gear it was not fully prepared for cold, wind and wet.

P1040835_zpsb84f6dbb.jpgP1040821_zpse0811f3b.jpg

I started getting chilly just looking at the pics! :crying_anim02:

Great trip, wonderful photos ... Especially Cinnamon Pass, the blowing sleet and weather was impressive. Looking forward to more... Thanks for sharing!

So once we recovered in Silverton it was time to ride. We asked around and found out Opher Pass was open. Great --so we could do a loop on Scotch Creek Toll Rd. I rode it a few years back on my 800 and wanted to do it again.

Got to Opher and saw that it was freshly plowed threw.

IMG_20140608_145001_576-L.jpg

P1050253-L.jpg

Epic views !!

IMG_20140608_145403_418-L.jpg

Found a lost snowmoble !!

P1050257-L.jpg

The valley opened up before us.

P1050259-L.jpg

Made it to Scotch Creek.

P1050261-L.jpg

P1050263-L.jpg

IMG_20140608_163342_089-L.jpg

Well the day was coming to an end. We were now out of the Mtn,s and heading down threw Durango. It was windy ,we were running late as always. I did not know of a good campsite. We were now out of the National Forest. Lots of private land everywhere.,I pushed for a room in Farmington . We could have rode to a camping area but I have crap lites and it was verry windy. So we got a room and a good meal. ( and a shower ).

The waitress took our picture after Chris tried to confuse her --but she did not give in, Tough people in Farmington NM.

IMG_20140608_214136_520-L.jpg

This would be our last day of riding. We went east of Farmington and then headed south threw the gas and oil fields to Chaco Culture National Historical Park..Verry remote.

P1050265-L.jpg

P1050267-L.jpg

P1050268-L.jpg

IMG_20140609_122457_893-L.jpg

This area was once the center of the Indian culture. Lots of ruins ( some huge ) and very interesting .We all took a nap while the movie was playing in the visitor center .

P1050272-L.jpg

P1050275-L.jpg

P1050279-L.jpg

IMG_20140609_142231_751-L.jpg

P1050284-L.jpg

P1050285-L.jpg

After Chaco we headed south back to Gallop. No pictures because ( we need to get on the road and haul ass home asap !! ) I will let Chris take it from their !

All in all a good trip. Still need to go back to New Mexico and spend more time in those green Mtn,s . I am sold on our dirt bikes doing these rides. Just truck them out ,unload and go .

Next year probley back to N Nevada , Oreagon, Idaho !!!

Later --the KUG

What a trip!!

Thanks for sharing...

Major Thanks to Kug, Tracy and The Chris for taking us along for the ride.

Chaco is quite the dreamy place. Can you imagine this large trading center with irrigated corn fields out in the middle of the continent. Improved roads in all directions, sea shells from the San Diego Indians were walked all the way to this trading center. Talk about Amazing! We could all do with a day or so in those rocky circular religious pits, contemplating our failings and way forward. I think maybe, I could build on of those in my lower yard! Talk about a conversation pit.

Bagstr

P1050284-L.jpg

Out in the middle of nowhere we came across a random ranch. Saw this old bus,

IMG_1197_zpse5f5f219.jpg

They had a pen full of horses and lo and behold!!

IMG_1198_zps94ebe600.jpg

Chaco was definitly worth walking around and yeah Bags,,, left the mind to wander of what must of been and dream of a simpler life. Below is a rendering of what they believe the complex looked like a thousand years ago. Impressive is an understatement!

IMG_1232_zps9d1074a5.jpg

After the warmup at lunch Ophir was a fun ride. Still windy at the top but not like Cinnamon Pass.

P1040882_zps1fabe0fa.jpg

Ken soaking in the moment just after the pass.

P1040891_zps23d8b1c8.jpg

Looking back up at the pass.

P1040898_zps27c0ab89.jpg

We had a few more water crossings. Ken was a trooper and always seemed to be the first thru the water.

P1040917_zpsfabc1c96.jpg

After leaving the mountains we got back into high desert country again. We had a good nights rest in a sort of cheap hotel then it was on the road to Chaco.

P1040959_zps9a519ddf.jpg

P1040934_zpsf0333a67.jpg

Chaco was pretty cool and we could have spent more time there. It's interesting what made them decide to build where they did. 100 miles north there are rivers that run year round and much more fertile soil.

After Chaco we made a run back to the Gallup airport. I was very happy to see my truck was still parked where we left it and all the wheels were still attached. It was about 4 in the afternoon so we thought we'd put a few miles under us so we didn't have a 10 hour drive the next day. Half an hour later were were loaded up and ready for the road. We checked and it was about 400 miles to my house in Lake Havasu City and I thought about a cold beer at College Street Brewery in Havasu http://collegestreetbrewhouseandpub.com/beers.html. Tracy checked online and saw that they were open until 10 so the race was on. One stop for gas and food and we made it there at 9:30 only to discover that they had closed early. I banged on the door but the guy would't let us in even after I told him I'd just driven 400 miles to have one of their Big Blue Vans on draft. Havasu on a Monday night at 10 is pretty dead so we made our way to my house where fortunately the fridge was well stocked.

All in all a great ride with great riding partners.

CiD

we made our way to my house where fortunately the fridge was well stocked.

Well stocked indeed!

Chrisfridge_zpsc03d5660.jpg

Thanks Chris for hospitality and hooking me up with my first "chile beer"! It was awesome!

Definitly a great trip!

we made our way to my house where fortunately the fridge was well stocked.

Well stocked indeed!

Chrisfridge_zpsc03d5660.jpg

Thanks Chris for hospitality and hooking me up with my first "chile beer"! It was awesome!

Definitly a great trip!

Well it was well stocked. It will need a little replenishment. We did pretty good damage to it's contents that night.

CiD

" I banged on the door but the guy would't let us in "

And after all the investment you have made in that establishment!?! :shiftyeyes_anim:

Ken,Stacy, and Chris what a trip! good for the soul and the mind. Good memories and friends for life.

All hail the Kug

post-14322-0-29389400-1405056300_thumb.j

CiD your bike looks familiar - great to see it living the life all motos long for..

tlking - great to see you in action. Zebra pic is appreciated!

bagstr - Chaco looks awesome. I really want to visit the Cliff Dwelings one day soon, talk about history.

I was just reliving this trip report. I can't wait to get get out on another big ride next month.

CiD