It's been 13 weeks since I had the big waddup at the Dash. Doc gave me the ok last week to start doing stuff again so I headed to Corral this morning with a couple of buddy's for a shakedown cruise. Rode a couple of trails and some fireroad. Ran into mtnmanseth and crew at the top of Spur Meadows. All in all it went pretty well though I can tell it will be awhile until I'm back to my normal pace. Now headed to the spa to soak for awhile. Next month Bass Lake...

14321274331_8dea1841e6_s.jpg

Thanks. I have to admit I've gone through a lot of soul searching in the past 12 weeks about getting back on the bike again. Lot's of doctors at the hospital who are anti-motorcycle telling me I should give it up but not based on facts but just their personal bias about "Healthy Lifestyles". The doc who is treating me now is very cool and doesn't see any reason for me to stop. In the end what can I say - it's in my blood.

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle. Most us have a passion for riding. It's not something most of us can just give up. You'll be back on pace soon.

Yeah, I have tried giving up driving the freeways. But I keep going back. :shiftyeyes_anim:

Seriously, I have always known that in my family I have room for ONE big injury. After that I would move on to Pocket Billiards or other contact sport.

Good luck with rehab.

Thanks. I have to admit I've gone through a lot of soul searching in the past 12 weeks about getting back on the bike again. Lot's of doctors at the hospital who are anti-motorcycle telling me I should give it up but not based on facts but just their personal bias about "Healthy Lifestyles". The doc who is treating me now is very cool and doesn't see any reason for me to stop. In the end what can I say - it's in my blood.

Funny how that plays out. When I busted my clavicle, albeit not a life threating injury, in to 3 pieces (at the track on the sport bike), I had a doctor who never told me one way or the other on my life choices.

For the most part, he saw I was healthy and told me my clavicle options...leave it or pin it. I opted for the latter to get it back to normal as much as possible. One of my follow up docs was an older gentlemen (70s I presume) and he rides. Having docs with good knowledge of the patient and the sport can make for a difference in moving forward. However, sometimes docs see something "bad" and tell the patient, maybe you should stay away from this, just to keep that variable (injury or worse) out of play in the future. It's not an invalid thing to say and probably helps many, as you said, do some soul searching to make sure what put them in the hospital is something they truly understand (dangers) and want/need to do. In the end, we do what we gotta do, and hopefully after our failures we learn big lessons to keep us healthy and happy.

Be well and keep the rubber side down.

Nice meeting you on the trail today. Glad to see you back up and riding.

I'm glad to see that you're back in the saddle PbdBlue! Bass Lake will be quite the treat, I hope to get up there too this summer.

Thanks. Yes it's one of my favorite places to ride. Rented a house near the lake for a week and takin the wives along. Might try to organize a guy trip in the fall.

Great to see you are back on the bike... I venture to say most everyone here has been envolved with a big crash. Albeit, not as serious as your crash... Yet big enough to ponder getting back on the bike. Glad you are still at! Look forward to catching up on a ride

I'm know there are many who have had much more serious injuries. Many with permanent consequences. Luckily though it will be awhile I am confident that I will get back to 100%. In 40 years of riding I've had my share of mishaps but this was the first (and hopefully last) BIG one. Kind of a wakeup call and there's some lessons in this that maybe others can benefit from. Aside from your health there are some potentially serious financial impacts as well. I'm fortunate to have very good disability and health insurance. Between the hospital stay, doctors and the helicopter ride the bill came out to ~$230k+ and 6 weeks off of work. My employer was very supportive and they let me come back to work on very light duty. The impact to me was minimal but had I not had an understanding employer or insurance it could have been a very different story. Another thing is the impact to your family. I don't know how I would have gotten through this without the help of my wife. I put her through hell and she is an absolute saint. Thankfully in the end all my fingers and toes still wiggle and life goes on.

Do the Math, Read the Tea Leaves

Trail Difficulty = T

Speed = S

Experience = E

Judgement = J

Outcome = O

(T x S / E) x J = O

Imagined Outcome = IO

Historic Outcome = HO

Attitude = A

IO / HO = A

Conclusion = We are all crazy :shiftyeyes_anim: