SICVIC

The numbers are in.

At the point where I have the route nailed down so I can get accurate numbers for miles and such.

My big question is; will/can the bike make it????

I'll start throwing out numbers; tell me what you think.

450 EXC

Engine rebuilt 44.4 hrs ago. May have 75 hrs when trip starts.

Trip distance 9300 miles

*breakdown*

1800 mi/Slab

6000 mi/Dirt (jeep, FR)

1500 Tight ST

If I roll 200 mi per day I'm looking at 46 days.

300 mi per would be 31 days.

If I pick an avg speed over the entire ride of 40 MPH I'll have about 233 hours of run time on the engine.

I've only had one piston make it to that number. The first one went to 256 hrs. After that, less and less till the complete rebuild. Think 136 hrs was the least....

Oil changes is another number to look at.

Using that 40mph avg I'm looking at an oil change every 3 days with 24 hours on the engine. Thats about what I do now on the Trans side but normally half (10 hours) on the engine.

I'm not changing oil every day!

Thoughts here???

I'll have her geared at a 14 50 and will roll 60 mph when I can. I'll drop back to a 13 50 in the single track but the best I'll avg per day in that is about 20 to 22 mph.

It's all numbers and I'm not all hung up on it. Just looking for some thoughts about oil changes and potential disasters.

Thanks

SV

Vic, Vic, Vic :dirol:

I know what you're thinking.... It's perfect I shouldn't even worry about it!!

That was what you were thinking; right?

HA!!

So envious, Vic.

Keep us in the loop.

Carry a set of rings ,Gaskets, Cam chain link--they pack flat-- My bet is that you never need them but just incase you can do the topend at a gas station.

That way you don,t have to worry about it and ride .

I would run taller gearing untill you get to the rockies. Stop at a KTM dealer and then get the 50 rear.

I don't know, but it's going to be a sic adventure....Good luck

rat tat tat tat?

You could do it pct hiker style and ship your kit, have your rebuild planned in advance at a good location maby? Not familiar with those bikes oiling systems, try to increase oil capacity and also stretch your oil change interval by using synthetic and a really fine oil filter plumbed in parallel?

Here's my input.

Most oil contamination occurs during start up and on short trips where the engine doesn't get warm enough to burn off condensation or fuel contamination. Since you'll be starting only a few times a day and running all day for many miles. I think you'd be ok with the intervals you've stated and changing engine oil every 3-4 days (maybe longer).

Examples- Soccer mom that takes a dozen short trips a day, dropping off/picking up kids, tennis club, store, doctor, lover, etc. Oil is black like tar in 5000 miles.

Typical Taxi cab - runs all day, idling in traffic or under load on the freeway. Oil is still brown after 20,000 miles.

Vic you probly need to replace your chain. Mine only lasted 221 hr,s. On this last baja ride I thought it was fine but then it took a ---- extremly fast all within 800 miles . Total toast.

I don't know what all those numbers mean, but I have some letters that will help you....K..........L..........R........youre welcome

I can name that tune in 2 notes. DR

Always look forward to the RR's on these. I'm sure you'll get it done....or at least eat something attached to your bike along the way.

Vic,

"I know what you're thinking.... It's perfect I shouldn't even worry about it!!" Yes, exactly. One thing for certain, You will handle anything that comes up.

​ And if, you need help, one call to this board will have our friend if Albuquerque round you up with his / her truck. I doubt you set this goal because it will be easy.

Other than that, all I have to say is i-swn9gxG-L.jpg

Doesn't someone on the board have a TW200 for sale? Problem solved! :lmaosmiley:

Carry a set of wheel bearings too.....

Maybe you can have some things shipped ahead to specific locations? Or just chill out a day in certain spots to wait for shop to open and snag a tire/chain/etc.....

Wow! This is all awesome information.

Gonna do a mass reply in this one post. (no order)

Chain wear: I've never waited for a chain to reach the KTM wear specs before. *measure 18 links=this much distance=replace*

Good to know that when it reaches a certain point it just goes. I'm hoping steel sprockets will prolong the numbers some.

Taller gearing: The plan of only bumping to a 14 from the 13 was to keep the chain length close. At least close enough to make the chain adjustment w/o flipping the cams or messing with chain links. Not as ideal gearing as it could be for open Hwy but should keep the engine from screaming if I keep the speed in check. Plus my square wheels will throw me off the bike if I go too fast anyways. I will do some testing with the gearing yet.

KLR/DR: Yup, perfect for 89.7% of the ride.... Impossible for the Idaho section. (so I'm told).

My bike loaded will be laughed out of the State by anyone who sees me and knows I'm attempting the T1.

In 6 years only 25 have made it...none on KLR or DR and certainly no one rolling in from a cross country road trip. I fear this 1500 miles.

Oil: I was thinking the same here. 3 Days is around 25 hours. Should be able to make those numbers. Depending on the riding I burn about an oz of oil per 150 miles. I always stop and check at that number. Has been a good system for me so far. When the rings go I burn about a QT in 70 miles. lol

Oil cooler: They add oil but they also are huge and stick out; have a bunch of fittings that make me really nervous in the Tech stuff. One of those things that I feel is great but the wrong crash will bring it all to an end. They are also expensive. My bike has seperate compartments for eng and trans oil. Both small at about a QT each. The good is that the trans oil stays super clean.

Stashing stuff ahead: I'm sorting that now. I found the equivalent to couchsurfing.com on a forum. Moto peeps who offer up their place or garage or yard. I've found several that would fit my route perfectly. I'll be contacting them in the near future. I'll mail the items like oil, filter etc. My luck I'll show up at someones house and have to play the game....It puts the lotion on its skin.

X-tra piston, rings, etc: I like this thought. Cam chain... how often do these fail????? Mines new and the tensioner is manual adjust so even if I lose oil pressure It's not in there slapping around.

I do like the idea of having the parts for a tail side, night time top end rebuid. My 1/4" ratchet may not be up to the task of breaking the head bolts free!!! I will look into this more. Easy insurance.

Eating bike: If it comes to that I'm set. I'll start with the fried cow poo that is cooked to my header from the ride Jon and I did up in Kern.

That stuff will be crispy like jerkey by then!

Last but not least: Bags; get your gear ready...we're going riding. Tell the Mrs that painting will resume in 45 days.

I've gathered up what food and hygiene supplies I think I'll need for about 45 days of travel.

I'll post up a photo; let me know if I have way too much.

post-14596-0-94694500-1397059202_thumb.j

My concern is; do you think that a full square of TP is overkill? It is 2 ply and I could save some weight by tearing it in half.

I don't wanna overpack ya know.

Not sure how far you've gotten with planning and posting, but I'm sure if you put up a thread on advrider with your intentions people will come out of the woodwork with places to stay, shops to use and emergency bail-out assistance. I have read countless RR's where random inmates helped each other out for nothing more than the camaraderie of their fellow riders.

I've gathered up what food and hygiene supplies I think I'll need for about 45 days of travel.

attachicon.gifSAM_0979(1).JPG

My concern is; do you think that a full square of TP is overkill? It is 2 ply and I could save some weight by tearing it in half.

Pretty sure the shrimp flavor Top Ramen weighs a little less.

CiD

Not sure how far you've gotten with planning and posting, but I'm sure if you put up a thread on advrider with your intentions people will come out of the woodwork with places to stay, shops to use and emergency bail-out assistance. I have read countless RR's where random inmates helped each other out for nothing more than the camaraderie of their fellow riders.

Yup, all over this already.

attachicon.gifSAM_0979(1).JPG

Pretty sure the shrimp flavor Top Ramen weighs a little less.

CiD

Was planning on tossing out the flavor pack and wrapper. Just carry the noodles in my pocket. The sweat from riding will gradually moisten them as I go.

Guest Crusty

A rider like you should be able to shred on an XR 400! :coolio:

It was my bike of choice for technical riding untill I rode a CRF 230F.

Start with a fresh one, you could ride it around the world, many lesser riders have.

Great suggestion Crust!

A new rig iz otta the question. I've got a bazillion $$$$$ tied up in this adventure already.

I plan to limp my Huffy as far as she will go then gracefully bow otta the motorized two wheeled world once again.

Maybe back to full time surfing????

We shall see.

Thanks man.

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy!

I will add a couple things. Most of this I've learned from a good friend that has time to ride a lot more than I do. He puts about 15,000 miles on his EXC each year, so he has it down to a science. Here's a few tips that might help. Anything can happen to a bike, but I don't think your plan is s stretch by any means when it comes to reliability.

1. Oil - He had over 15k on his last top end and ran well over 1,000 miles before changing. He rode to La Paz 4 times on that top end and didn't change the oil on any trip. You just have to add accordingly. His burned significant oil at 15k, but no issues.

2. Chain - He swears by the DID Gold ERV3 Gold and talked me into one a few years ago. I just changed it at around 6000 miles. It was worn, but it could have gone longer. He usually changes them around 7500. The stealth sprockets are his favorite match.

3. Not sure what year you have, but something that came up after high miles was the clip on the carb needle wore out and broke, dropping the needle. It's probably less than $1, so I always carry one. That $1 part stranded him in Baja.

4. I would loctite anything you can think of.

5. Rarely do the plugs go bad, but if it starts burning a lot of oil, that might be a different story. Mine was pretty bad on my last top end.

6. Definitely take an extra wheel bearing as mentioned about. The chain side usually goes first, so if anything, take that one. I would suggest repacking them a few times along the way or at least inspecting them. It's not fun when they go.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know. I'll ask my buddy if he has any other suggestions or common failures he's had on long rides.

Enjoy!