tntmo

Shopping for a small truck for my son, inputs requested

My son will be attending college in Flagstaff this fall, and even though his VW Baja Bug has been a good vehicle for San Diego I think something with a heater would be better for the cold weather they get up there.

He has about $5000 set aside and would like to get a small pickup. His budget has us looking at Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series pickups, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, or Chevy/GMC S-series.

Anyone with real world input, please chime in. Reliability, MPG, repair costs, etc. Also if you know of any good deals for sale, let me know!

The Ranger is a hard truck to kill, especially if it's a manual shift model. Mileage is so-so, about 20 miles to the gallon.

The Ranger is a hard truck to kill, especially if it's a manual shift model. Mileage is so-so, about 20 miles to the gallon.

The Ranger is probably going to be the best bang for the buck out of the lot. I hear the V6 is probably not as reliable as the four cylinder? He's ok with a manual transmission since he's been driving the VW. The Mazda seems to sell for less than the Ford, even though they are the same truck.

Toyota hands down......great gas mileage, inexpensive maintainence, reliable even with high mileage. But, most of all....best return on your dollar when you re-sell it.

My buddy sees 20+ mpg real world in his 2wd, 4 cyl Tacoma. Nice, well made trucks (except for frames that rust at the hint of road salt, but they'll replace those under a recall) but obviously you're going to pay the Toyota tax.

The Ranger is probably going to be the best bang for the buck out of the lot. I hear the V6 is probably not as reliable as the four cylinder? He's ok with a manual transmission since he's been driving the VW. The Mazda seems to sell for less than the Ford, even though they are the same truck.

My 95 Ranger has 180,000 miles on it. It has the 3.0 V6 in it. Still going strong. I had to have the entire clutch replaced at about 155K, but other than that, there have been no major mechanical problems with the truck.

I saw a little dodge pup diesel 4x4 on craigslist yesterday in Carlsbad I think. 40 plus mpg and cannot be stopped

I may buy it so hurry Lol

the Chev Colorado was one of the worst vehicles according to Consumer Reports from a year or two ago. I'd avoid those I guess.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4402876126.html

Those are pretty good little trucks. Rebadged Mitsubishi Mighty Max with a turbo diesel engine, a neighbor had one when I was in school and abused it regularly on the farm.

I saw a little dodge pup diesel 4x4 on craigslist yesterday in Carlsbad I think. 40 plus mpg and cannot be stopped

I may buy it so hurry Lol

i have good luck with my 2000 tacoma 4 cyl 270 k minor maintenance 20 mpg

Another for toyota. Had an several 4 cyl toyotas, one with 215k when I sold it, one with 115k when sold, and now I'm up to 91k on the fj cruiser. Only reason I sold any of them is I needed more room each time. Never had any issues with any of them. Change the oil and drive.

My old man was a ranger guys for years. He had the first year they came out 85? 90, 94, and an 03. He had no issues until he got the 03. Nothing major, just a bunch of little things.

Before I bought my Ranger I shopped around and looked at everything. The deciding factor was a trip to Baja. On that trip I saw more Rangers of every year and every state of equipage, disrepair, and look. There was literally every year made and every style of Ranger you could think of from new and pimped out to OLD and CLAPPED. The number of Rangers on the road easily outnumbered every other truck 5 to 1. The old beaters still going with hammered beds and bent fenders put everything at ease for me.

I bought a 2008 Ranger Sport with 3.0 V6 and manual trans and it ran flawlessly. It is still the only new vehicle I'd ever been connected to that never had a single issue in it's first 30,000 miles. It wasn't the most powerful engine but would get 20-25 mpg consistently and I was sure it would run forever with oil changes.

As far as the Toyota debate goes. I was surprised at how cheap, dated, and bad the actual fuel economy was in a friends similar year Tacoma. Also the cabin is smaller and the road noise was far worse. Yes the Tacoma had more peak HP but I think Torque was the same.

Take it as you will. Your mileage may vary

Thought I could also share some experience in this subject...

Drove ’69 bug in HS, hated every minute, hardly cool driving a 30 year old vehicle your mom received brand new for her HS graduation, and sat rotting in your back yard for as long as your memory engaged in capturing memories…

Drove ’89 Toyota single cab 2.4L 4 cylinder SR5 4x4 5-speed (stick), during first year in college, liked it, but need more room. Never exceed 23 MPG. Not worse than 18 MPG.

Drove ’91 Toyota extra cab 3.0L V6 SR5 4x4 5-speed (stick), Rancho 2.5” lift, 32” BFG All Terrains, then 32” BFG Mud Terrains, during the remainder college years. Consistently achieved mid 15 MPG, 50/50 mixed driving.

Drove ’96 extra cab Mazda B2300 SE 2.3L 5-speed (stick), needed money, sold the ’91 Toyota (dream truck) for the inexpensive truck. I bought off a friends-friend, whom paid someone to take him to an auction and bought for $6,800. Turns out he didn’t want it a few months later, my friend was tasked with helping to sell it, I didn’t want a Ford either…but at $4,000 the truck was mine with 86K miles. I discovered the truck was a fleet truck, thou the color Red with Sticker Decals. The smoking gun was the stereo and entire cigarette lighter hardware were completely removed leaving gaping holes in the dash. Also the cup holder straddling the stick shift was removed, leaving the boot flapping in the wind. I beat the snot out of this truck begging it to die. I’ve hauled multiple pallets of tile from Home Depot and Lowes in the bed, the forklift carefully finessed placement centering over the rear axle, one pallet at a time, and never had a problem, though the breather tube to the rear axle (rubber hose) broke at the perch and the mud flaps dragged on the street. It pushes grocery/home depot shopping carts out of parking spots with ease, the floor board carpet absorbs ½ gallon Home Depot Behr paint like a dry sponge when you forget to put the lid on tightly; hauls a bed completely full of tools with a tonneau cover and two full size side-by-side refrigerators/freezers strapped on top of the tonneau cover from San Diego to central California up and down the Grapevine. It goes up curbs when it’s too long to go around by street. Never did tow with it, as the manual states, “towing not recommended”. I should add that when you have Stanley Steemer come clean the carpets in your home, have already unbolted your seat/seats (bench or buckets) from the floor board, throw the guys a $20 and the carpet and seats in the truck will look better than new. Though be sure to leave the windows down for a couple of days and drive in your swim suit during the drying process. Never, from a dead stop should you ever try to cross a busy intersection with the intent it will be brisk, while the A/C is on…bad idea, always turn off the A/C with the 2300cc engine before attempting. Never worse than 17.5 MPG, never better than 22.8 MPG (with A/C off, some tools in the bed, 55 MPH slow lane 3am to 7am SD to Central Valley. The brakes would stop the truck on a dime. Look at all the fun you can have with 112 HP and 135lbs of torque!

Sold with 170K miles, because the wife didn’t think we needed 3 vehicles to split between us.

Repairs- a $4.00 fuse solved the intermittent cutting-out issues I encountered driving it home and eventual stranded me a block down the street from home a week later. A sheared bolt on engine block which attached the alternator or A/C compressor (I don’t remember), still had 1 other bolts holding it on. A new clutch was put in somewhere around 130K. It always passed smog with flying colors. I’ve heard it said, “Never buy a Ford Car, but Ford Trucks are

Drove ’01 Tacoma Double cab 3.4L V6 4x4 automatic for few years. Never better than 19.8 with Snugtop shell and some camping gear, wife, and Labrador, stock lift, stock wheels and tires, driving from SD to Mammoth and back.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6659-anza-borrego-desert-dash-2010-photos/page-5

(see last posting)

Hope this is helpful. PM me if you’d like further details.

Don't know if you found anything yet. My daughters boy friend just bought a 2014 Tacoma and his Ranger is now for sale.

Motor has 147 and the transmission has about 50. It's got a tool box in the back new stereo deck. Battery and tires replaced last year,auto and air conditioning as well. $5000.

I think you could deal with him, he need to get to his next job in North Dakota next week.

post-3291-0-46590700-1397592197.jpg