Roasty

San Diego Native, New to Adventure Riding

Salutations!

San Diego native here, currently living on the outskirts of Ocean Beach. I grew up riding dirt bikes (for a hobby). Had a motorcycle license by the age of 16. Since then I've owned 4 or so street bikes but it was mostly about commuting. Now I'm in my late 30s, recently married, and the proud owner of a 2013 mule (KLR). I needed an inexpensive bike for daily commuting that was also well suiting for adventure riding, especially to distant and foreign countries. My wife and I are total newbies to adventure riding but we're crazy excited about it and learning fast! We're taking our first 2-3 day (camping) ride here in San Diego this week and plan to do local rides at least once a month until summer comes. We're planning our first long ride this summer, 2-3 weeks from SD through Baja to Mazatlan. In the meantime, I'm working on familiarizing myself with aspects of the KLR, especially learning how to maintain and repair it. I have no previous experience working on bikes or cars but I'm a tinkerer at heart and mechanically inclined. My wife has adventurer's heart as well, although we'll be riding 2up for the first year, she already talking about getting her own bike someday soon.

We're glad to have found this community and are looking forward to joining in on some rides!

All the best!

Roasty

post-15597-0-57268500-1395620284_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum. Lots of expertise here on upgrading the KLR (Just not me!) :upsidedown:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

No worries tvscum, I'm signed up a to couple KLR specific forums. ;)

Welcome to the group, nice looking KLR.

See you on the trail.

Good to see another "big bike" here. Plenty to be seen seated on one. Welcome aboard.

Ahem!!! A KLR is a mid-size bike, with small bike power and big bike weight!

(proud KLR rider)

Speaking of which: I'm ready for another n00b ride...i'll figure out a day, and post

Speaking of which: I'm ready for another n00b ride...i'll figure out a day, and post

COOL! Please do. I had a lot of fun on the last one!!!

Sunday the 6th?

Paul- that is n00b moto day @ Otay

Oh.

Did I miss that post?

Or was I being purposely excluded? :shiftyeyes_anim:

Welcome aboard. I've thought about picking up another KLR. I used to have one kind of miss it sometimes.

Roasty- let me know if you ever ride Mondays- i'll show you some easy, fun half day rides

Welcome aboard! My fiance' and I live in OB. She rides a CRF230f and I ride whatever has wheels. We take the family (4 kids from 7 to 13) out as well. Give me a shout if you need a riding buddy or family to join ya or simply tinker. I'm not much of a mechanic but it's on my list to improve :)

Roasty- let me know if you ever ride Mondays- i'll show you some easy, fun half day rides

Welcome aboard! My fiance' and I live in OB. She rides a CRF230f and I ride whatever has wheels. We take the family (4 kids from 7 to 13) out as well. Give me a shout if you need a riding buddy or family to join ya or simply tinker. I'm not much of a mechanic but it's on my list to improve :)

Welcome from another noob to the board!

Hey guys!

So sorry for the ridiculously belated response! Its a been a couple years since I've logged in. A lot has happened since then but I'm back in the saddle and ready to ride. Hopefully it won't be too late but I'm not expecting a response to this old thread.

So my wife and I went on the first weekend ride that I mentioned in my first post. We took as many off-road trails as we could from Chula Vista to Butterflied Ranch were we camped and then did the same to Lake Henshaw and back. It was great mini adventure!

Then life happened, literally. We had a baby! She's now 6 month old! Old enough for me to get back to some riding.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I started doing some work on the mule and taking her out to some local back country rides. Explored Otay Truck Route! Great place.

Now I've got the pig in the den for some major surgery. I'm gonna upgrade the doo, install a power system, horn, lights, chargers, crash bars, center kickstand, etc.

Bikeslut, Zoot, thanks for the offers, if they still stand I'd love to take you up them.

Looking forward to getting plugged in with SDAR.

post-15597-0-77435000-1458063336_thumb.j

Welcome back, I really like Otay, watch out for all the people shooting out there though.

Congrats on the new member of your family. Delays in riding is part of life. SDAR will always be here. Glad you came back and did not give it up!