Goofy Footer

Highway Dirt Bikes Mirrors

I'm considering some Highway Dirt Bikes "NexGen" handguards with mirrors for the DR650. I plan to run the DR on highway often and appreciate proper mirrors on the road. With the fork swap I'm losing my right hand mirror and if I upgrade the clutch perch I will lose the left mirror too.

I need to get some handguards for the bike and I typically use Cycra ProBends which I can get for ~$100 bucks. The NexGen guards are $130 and each mirror is $25. DoubleTake Mirrors are about ~$50 a pop.

My main concern is that I tend to run my levers slightly down and subsequently run my guards a little down to cover the levers - I think this may compromise the NexGen's limited adjustablity. Thoughts?

NexGen pic with mirror

HG_010a.jpg

Mirror in action

Duke002.jpg

Hard to say but you should be able to trim the handgguard to get the mirror angle you may need.

Why not use the originals? What I like best is they tie in to the triple clamp and are very strong. The new ones appear to mount to the bar which is no better then all the others out there.

I have dropped my 950 many times including a trip over the bars and no damage so far.

i put the hdb guards/mirrors on my 640adv after breaking a stock mirror off in a crash... the mounting hardware of the mirror has a shallow ball/socket-type interface, and in combination with the hinging part of the mirror and the pivoting around the mounting bolt, there's a good amount of adjustability. also, the mirror surface is slightly convex, for a wider area reflected, but not so much that things become unrecognizable. the mirrors stay where you put them and the guards are really stout. all in all, it's a great set-up. i hope this helps.

regards,

johnnyg

Hard to say but you should be able to trim the handgguard to get the mirror angle you may need.

Yup. Have them on both my bikes.

Oh. Wait. I only have one.

OK, I had them on both my bikes when I had two, but now that I have one bike I have them. Two mirrors, one bike.

Yeah.

I just put them on my 525 and unlike others who have responded I'm really disappointed with the handguards and the mirrors. The handguards are stout but the plastic is just plain ugly, although I fully admit I'm more sensitive to proper lines than most. The mirrors are a joke compared to a "normal" OEM size and style of mirror. I suppose if you are used to riding with a tiny mirror with a whopping 1.5" diameter they as good as any other mirror that size. I, like you, run my levers farther down than most so I spent about 4 hours putting a twist (like a noodle) into the handguard to make it fit right and look even from the front. Finally, the cheap zinc coated hardware they sent me had washers that were too big for the bolts.....for the price I was expecting stainless. I hate to be so negative but I'm probably going to toss mine and go to something else.

P1020087_1000w-L.jpg

Mucho de protection. Annnd, the best mirrors I have used. A large mirror is no help if it vibrates like it was on a PMB sound track.

Mine have been easily repaired with convex stick on mirrors from Reilly's, and the black material doesn't break on impact. The flat top clamp

provides for toggles, power and immovable mounting while saving space on the bar.

One man's opinion

P1020694_1250w-L.jpg

I really like the Doubletake mirrors. They seem to work very well for me.

+1 :coolio:

Best mirrors I've had. Great protection too. I have about 1500 street miles on mine and still love them.

I just put them on my 525 and unlike others who have responded I'm really disappointed with the handguards and the mirrors. The handguards are stout but the plastic is just plain ugly, although I fully admit I'm more sensitive to proper lines than most. The mirrors are a joke compared to a "normal" OEM size and style of mirror. I suppose if you are used to riding with a tiny mirror with a whopping 1.5" diameter they as good as any other mirror that size. I, like you, run my levers farther down than most so I spent about 4 hours putting a twist (like a noodle) into the handguard to make it fit right and look even from the front. Finally, the cheap zinc coated hardware they sent me had washers that were too big for the bolts.....for the price I was expecting stainless. I hate to be so negative but I'm probably going to toss mine and go to something else.

Hey HotRod82, did you buy the NexGen guards or the ones that tie into the top plate?

The new ones appear to mount to the bar which is no better then all the others out there.

Mucho de protection. The flat top clamp provides for toggles, power and immovable mounting while saving space on the bar.

What these 2 said - I love them

By the time you add the base mount and extension arm it comes out to about $45, plus shipping.