Crawdaddy

Finding Cannonball's Trail

Just saw that while reviewing this post. We had one meeting with Don which was mostly "determine where help is needed" so easy to join in, catch up. Nobody "in charge"....just a gaggle helping out. Call enroute.

Just saw that while reviewing this post. We had one meeting with Don which was mostly "determine where help is needed" so easy to join in, catch up. Nobody "in charge"....just a gaggle helping out. Call enroute.

Yep, I'd encourage anyone/everyone to show up Sat for the send-off.......I don't think he needs any more volunteers......it's really a pretty small group.....only 25 riding coast to coast.....he was just looking for a bit of support in the dirt areas on day one.......that's about it.......

Show up and ride to Yuma on day one and/or ride to Mesa on day two......I'm splitting rooms with Trophy.......not sure what others have planned....very loose gig.....like I said, I haven't even figured out my plan after Roosevelt lake on Monday (don't tell Ken that.....whoops! :axehead: )

Bum I had also took vacation to help out. With all the spots filed early on. I had already done preparation to make my own way to Albuquerque.

I plan to be at the send off Saturday morning. Then I'll depart my solo route Sunday morning.

Camp off the bike. And staying in Albuquerque for a week.

Maybe we can meet up in Albuquerque for some green chili...

Bum....I am breaking off from Dons group on day 3 or 4....going into New Mexico to explore. hope to hook up with Jason Hodnett in NM.

I have to arrange well in advance. I rearranged the schedule when I did not see that anyone other than volunteers were going. Wife and I have planned a surprise trip to DisneyLand for the kids to reward them for really trying and performing well in school and improving on behavioral issues. Thanks for the invites though. Enjoy your ride!

Can you repost the address? 9AM?

9 AM rollout - moving

Saturday morning at the Sunroad Marina on Harbor Island (Turn left at the T on Harbor Island)

Jason...please call me to discuss NM.

PM sent with my number.

Is there a gpx track of the route you are taking from SD to Yuma?

Yes there is GPS track....but I think we should ask Don Emde first if its OK to share....it WILL be public sometime in the future.

Well PM me if you can share it privately. I was wondering if I can just show up Saturday morning and ride with the group about halfway through the county and then split off. Or, do I have to sign up. Also wondering what bike to ride. I have seen blog maps that look like the route to Yuma is mostly pavement via I-8:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=San+Diego,+CA&daddr=Yuma,+AZ+to:Phoenix,+AZ+to:Socorro,+NM+to:Trinidad,+CO+to:Dodge+City,+KS+to:Kansas+City,+KS+to:Greenville,+IL+to:Indianapolis,+IN+to:Reynoldsburg,+OH+to:Greensburg,+PA+to:Malvern,+PA+to:New+York,+NY+to:Newburgh,+NY&hl=en&ll=37.579413,-87.626953&spn=23.95684,38.935547&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=13.400972,19.467773&geocode=FUEy8wEdeVIE-SlLHpKtD1PZgDF53xX9_SE6DQ%3BFavZ8gEdlOsq-SnZrU0hh2LWgDFYQp71Bzqpzw%3BFblh_gEdy-JR-SnLeaFQ7RIrhzGsG0o1-MdpjA%3BFaCwBwIdaPeg-SkBlH8Nw04ghzGk5s-iaubu0w%3BFTcpNwIdw3LF-SkRRbEXYxsRhzHbGPaQmRR65g%3BFd4PQAIdSdwJ-inhGclLGhunhzFDPRnmUzTmjQ%3BFUXVVAIdeBlc-ikVNc8n5IzAhzEFHsNwe3d33A%3BFe1yUQId8Kmr-ilvNgBNSDN0iDH2A6XiFtdgSw%3BFVPRXgIdDFXd-ikDanmn_1BriDF86rlA9p2O1g%3BFWKpYQIdKWMQ-ylZEGP9CWI4iDFHqPsnkQzanw%3BFZLzZgIdD1VC-ynNK5hCNMo0iDF3S0lveGpfMQ%3BFXrnYgIdLMB_-ynppZAXRe3GiTFkzE7xw066mw%3BFXFAbQIdK8KW-yk7CD_TpU_CiTFi_nfhBo8LyA%3BFcNKeQIdzrCW-ykn2WuD8SvdiTFuEDzsjdZF9w&oq=Newburg&mra=ls&t=m&z=5&dg=feature

http://www.motorcycleamerica.com/blog/the-cannon-ball-blog-t-minus-9-days-talk-talk-talk/

Then, I see this low-rez map that looks like it's mostly Hwy 94 until you reach the desert, and then some dirt and sand to Brawley:

http://www.cannonballproject.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/DayOneSD2Yuma.jpg

http://www.cannonballproject.com/content/then-now/san-diego-yuma-now/

Just thought a gpx track might help me decide.

We'll PM me if you can share it privately. I was wondering if I can just show up Saturday morning and ride with the group about halfway through the county and then split off. Or, do I have to sign up. Also wondering what bike to ride. I have seen blog maps that look like the route to Yuma is mostly pavement via I-8:

Please email Crawdaddy for GPS tracks....also, I think it's OK for you to tag along for the day....just talked to Don Emde, and Hodnettjj is invited to join us for the first few days, then he may explore part of NM with me for a day or 2, while I explore NM for about 5 to 8 days.

Im interested in the first and second days. Is anyone else riding the dirt then coming back. 1 or 2 days required? Camping? Was just planning on arriving at the meetup and tagging along for the dirt portion and heading back to SD.

Kug is heading home Sunday early/late morning. We are set up at the hotel with all of the other riders in Yuma Saturday night and Mesa Sunday night.

Chris

It looks to me like no dirt until after Brawley. There is a short section of straight dirt road along railroad tracks after Brawley and back down to I-8 and Yuma. Looks like 104 degrees in Brawley for Saturday. Since it's all hwy 94 at the beginning, I am planning on riding my Scrambler for the send off and splitting off around Campo.

It looks to me like no dirt until after Brawley.

Correct

Quickest 5 day ride ever. Got to Brawley and just couldn't wrap my head around 4 more days. As much as I'd like to enjoy multi-day rides, I don't. Back to the drawing board.

Quickest 5 day ride ever. Got to Brawley and just couldn't wrap my head around 4 more days. As much as I'd like to enjoy multi-day rides, I don't. Back to the drawing board.

I did not go on the ride, but sounds like you guys were going to do mostly street and not see any bitching scenery. How about a ride up the coast for scenery then we jump into the mountains for some trail riding and camping.

Lots of locals for the send off. No Randy, though?

IMG_0845_zps340b0d90.jpg

8:58 a.m.

IMG_0847_zps2f68db84.jpg

Not sure if this dog is going cross country?

IMG_0848_zps7de2717b.jpg

I cannon balled it to Campo and then north to Julian to join the "meat and beer" run. We even rescued a Navy man from Las Vegas who drove off a cliff on Boulder Creek Rd. Crash photos here:

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18040-meat-and-beer/

Kug, CID & C-Daddy at breakfast

DSCN0902_zps22889c44.jpg

Kug & CID lined up to go.

DSCN0907_zps152f6b8d.jpg

Toyota sponsored lead truck with rescue trailer.

DSCN0903_zps92df93d5.jpg

The DR performed flawlessly in it's 300 mile loop back to the homestead.

DSCN0895_zps6d05bfff.jpg

Just saw the footage on KUSI this morning. Hope you all have fun!

Soooooo what happened to Randy. Anyone?

Sorry Dave, I lost my debit card at the 7-11 and turned around to get it and decided to head home from there...without the card...damn stupid mistake on my part.

Nothing "happened" to me...but a couple things happened today and I decided safest thing is to rent a truck and head home

No injury....oil leak...can't see where from after stripping the tanks off and don't want a Phoenix shop to work on it so im heading home. This New Mexico trip will have to be later in the year.