Oracle

Need advise from 950/990 adventure owners fast!

I've been looking for a good adventure bike, mainly the 950 because a 990 (or other new bike) is not in my budget. As you probably know, there are not many 950 for sale locally. Well, today I looked at one and I wanted to make an offer on it, but when I took it for a test spin, I was shocked by the wind buffeting. So I came home and did some research and was pretty amazed at all the discussions about how bad the buffeting is on the 950 / 990. It buggs some people to the point of wanting to sell their bikes.

Anyway, I need feed back asap from owners as to wether or not this problem can be fixed. Is it as bad as it seems. Fire away...

Yes, they buffet. Some worse that others, depending on the height build of the rider, the type of helmet, and some say the mirrors. Mine was terrible- I bought it in Seattle and rode it home, and was not pleased- but I had heard about it.

There are different ways to fix it. Some go bigger- bigger windscreen. But for me, I ride offroad as often as possible and fall down.

So, I took about 35 minutes with my jigsaw, and removed about 2-3 inches off the top.

Problem solved.

Before:

8135668237_a2a2b07aa3.jpg

After:

8255086609_086d349b53_z.jpg

When I broke the stock screen on the 950 I went with the KTM Touring windshield and there is a nice pocket now. Hardly any buffeting. At 6'3" I sit a little taller than some and like the new setup.

Touring windshield

My 2 cents

Yup, bought the Zero Gravity Double Bubble for my KLR on EBay. Music is clear and my head doesn't get bounced around. Cheap fix.

So Paul, how does cutting down the stock screen fix the problem? Does it just drop the air flow so it's not hitting the rider in the helmet or???

So do I go for it? The bike I'm seriously considering is a good deal.

So Paul, Would you buy a 990?? Seriously.

unsure.gifdirol.gif

Surprised how little wind I get, but with tank bag on (8 L) I feel it a lot more.

1370316571[/url]' post='153396']

So Paul, how does cutting down the stock screen fix the problem? Does it just drop the air flow so it's not hitting the rider in the helmet or???

So do I go for it? The bike I'm seriously considering is a good deal.

Yes, it's more like a real bike with the wind distributed across my strapping, muscular body, ripped from many workouts. I think to actually get protected, the screen would have to be REALLY high.

The 990 is the most fun I've had on two wheels. Except for that art-school chick back in the '80s.

This pic is mainly for Paul because I know he has a soft spot for the might Dub. This is a windshield made and sold by a SD city fireman as a side hobby.

post-14322-058863000 1370321556_thumb.jp

This pic is mainly for Paul because I know he has a soft spot for the might Dub. This is a windshield made and sold by a SD city fireman as a side hobby.

post-14322-058863000 1370321556_thumb.jp

Cute!

Pull the trigger; buy the bike. Buffeting issues can be solved

Vstroms have the same issue- and the come with two mounting options...I added a third (like Paul, I dropped it LOWER...for some, the answer is to raise it higher

Laminar lips, vari-screens, and aftermarket- lots of options

I have an aftermarket screen on the KLR, and while it probably worked fine for the PO, it buffets me...if I sit up just a few inches it stops, and if scrunch down just a few inches its calm air

Also- the farther away your shield is, the worse the problem seems to be, and all 3 of those bikes have the shield far out front. I totally removed the KLR shield for a dirt only ride and while I got more wind, it was at least smoother

Vstroms have the same issue- and the come with two mounting options...I added a third (like Paul, I dropped it LOWER...for some, the answer is to raise it higher

Agreed. The newer VStroms come with 3 mounting options....none of them work for me.......high isn't high enough.......low isn't low enough.......middle solves nothing.......I'll be cutting the shield down or buying an aftermarket "lower" shield to get my head about the chatter......

Agreed. The newer VStroms come with 3 mounting options....none of them work for me.......high isn't high enough.......low isn't low enough.......middle solves nothing.......I'll be cutting the shield down or buying an aftermarket "lower" shield to get my head about the chatter......

Well, I appreciate all the replies. I have no street bike experience so this I feel a bit better knowing it is a common problem among different bikes, not just the KTM.

Now, my next questions, based on comments I've read here and other places, I get the impression people are moving away from the 950 /990 Adventure. Is that an accurce perception?

Well, I appreciate all the replies. I have no street bike experience so this I feel a bit better knowing it is a common problem among different bikes, not just the KTM.

Now, my next questions, based on comments I've read here and other places, I get the impression people are moving away from the 950 /990 Adventure. Is that an accurce perception?

1370362556[/url]' post='153416']

Not that I've seen. The SE is all the rage here, but this is more of a dualsport environment.

990 is a great bike. I love mine, and wish I'd gotten it long ago.

1370362556[/url]' post='153416']

Not that I've seen. The SE is all the rage here, but this is more of a dualsport environment.

990 is a great bike. I love mine, and wish I'd gotten it long ago.

Cool, thanks for the input. I just made the guy an offer and he is thinking about it. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Get a KLR, you will never worry about it due tot he fact it wont go fast enough to buffer

950-990 ADV or SE all good. My SE only has a 690 SMR shield and no buffeting because the shield only keeps the pressure off my chest and that is all I need. I had 3 non stock shields on my KLR and they were all worse than stock. The lower the better.

Things are looking good....keep ya posted. Thanks for all the advise

I only put mine up for sale because I am not using it enough. If it sells I will miss it. Best adventure bike ever!! Eight bikes, one rider. Most likly just buy something else. But what now??

CRF450X, come on you are a honda guy.Electric start.Free delivery, I'll even throw in the trailer.

Well, the deal panned out. I'm the proud new owner of a 2006 KTM 950 Adventure...It has a few upgrades, including hard bags, crash bars (not installed yet), and a GPS. The buffeting wasn't too bad on the ride home...might have been the big smile on my face though...

post-15155-097642100 1370653392_thumb.jp

Just like the one I have on CL, little cleaner looking. Good Deal???

I only put mine up for sale because I am not using it enough. If it sells I will miss it. Best adventure bike ever!! Eight bikes, one rider. Most likly just buy something else. But what now??

John u can't sell it now since Chief Gunner got one

Road trip !